• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serum Potassium normal but UEE shows low

Peyt

Hi,
I have recently done 2 tests. One was a regular blood Metabolic panel through my family Dr. which showed Potassium levels as normal (4.4 and range is 3.5 - 5.2)
and also a Urine Essential Elements(UEE) which is showing Potassium levels as low (18 and range is 20 - 90)

The Dr. Whom ordered the UEE test has suggested that I take Potassium.
However, I have also heard that whenever Serum Potassium is okay but Urine is low the problem has to do with cells and ATP, but I am not sure if I understand it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Also, which genetic mutations is more likely to cause low potassium??
Thanks so much for your kindness,
Peyt

NOTE: My sodium levels also show low on the UEE test. 43 (normal 40-200)

Last edited:

Martial

Do you take methylation supplements? Yes added potassium will help with intra cellular levels, no mutations specifically cause it just chronic illness and other reasons. I am willing to bet you are also deficient in magnesium and it causes your body to hold less potassium as a result. This is an extremely common phenomenon. I would try supplementing transdermal magnesium and you can get a powder potassium supplement from Natural Factors.

Peyt

I have been supplementing small amount of Magnesium.
The Test shows my Magnesium is in the range 57 (range 20-200) but I do see the Dr. who ordered the test (Dr. Yasko) has commented that I should increase the Magnesium.

I use natural calm magnesium simply because it helps me with stress and sleep, but I only use 1/2 tea spoon every night. I can try increasing it to 1 tea spoon.

Martial

I have been supplementing small amount of Magnesium.
The Test shows my Magnesium is in the range 57 (range 20-200) but I do see the Dr. who ordered the test (Dr. Yasko) has commented that I should increase the Magnesium.

I use natural calm magnesium simply because it helps me with stress and sleep, but I only use 1/2 tea spoon every night. I can try increasing it to 1 tea spoon.

I say transdermal because its easier to take higher doses and there isn't nearly as much gastro intestinal affects from doing so. You can take up to 1000mg a day without worry of toxicity or anything, so long as there is no underlying kidney disorders. People don't mention it as often as it could be but it is a lot more help then most would think. Simple but extremely effective :).

Bumping up the tea spoon would probably be beneficial as well!

Peyt

Thanks very much, so for sure I will increase the magnisium starting tonight, since both you and my Dr. agree that I should do so.

But I am still considering Potassium as well. The reason is I generally have low stomach acid and HCL usually helps with that... but unfortunately I can't take HCI regularly because it has Betaine and that does not agree with my BHMT snp.
Now I heard somewhere that Potassium can also increase stomach acid. Has anyone heard of that?
Thanks very much.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Taurine helps get/keep magnesium and potassium in the cells. It also is used to make bile acids, so might help your digestion.

Valentijn

Did the blood test break down the results by intracellular and serum levels? Or was it just whole blood?

My mineral levels in whole blood are mostly normal, but when broken down they were high in the serum and low in the cells.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi,
I have recently done 2 tests. One was a regular blood Metabolic panel through my family Dr. which showed Potassium levels as normal (4.4 and range is 3.5 - 5.2)
and also a Urine Essential Elements(UEE) which is showing Potassium levels as low (18 and range is 20 - 90)

The Dr. Whom ordered the UEE test has suggested that I take Potassium.
However, I have also heard that whenever Serum Potassium is okay but Urine is low the problem has to do with cells and ATP, but I am not sure if I understand it.

Peyt

Dear Peyt,
I don't think there is any problem here. The purpose of the kidney is to keep blood levels of things like potassium constant. Your blood levels are fine so your kidneys are doing the job fine. Urinary potassium is only of interest if your blood level is wrong and someone wants to find out why. You will have a low urinary potassium if you drink two pints of water. You will have a high urinary potassium if you drink two pints of pure orange jucie. But as long as your blood potassium is OK this is of no interest. The urine is not going to effect you - it is just going to end up in the loo!

liverock

Peyt

Besides the normal explanation given by Dr Edwards, we PWC's also have a higher cellular die off and the body will have lower potassium excretion because it needs the extra potassium to make new replacement cells.

Low sodium urinary levels usually indicate a CNS in a sympathetic dominant state ( fight or flight), and the resultant increase in the adrenal hormone Aldosterone, causes the kidney to lower sodium excretion to increase blood volume and blood pressure.