• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TED conference on mushrooms: antimicrobial, antiviral, immune system boosting potential

Jarod

Paul Stamets, mycologist talks about the antimicrobial properties of fungi, how they can be used as potent insecticides, and how they may help boost the human immune system

Not claiming this is for ME/CFS treatment, but interesting information on health benefits of mushrooms. There is another video somewhere where this guy Stamets claims to help cure his mother of cancer using Turkey tail.

Last edited:

GhostGum

Interesting, he also has a website with mushroom extract products, if anyone was really keen also grow kits. There is clearly real potential in some mushrooms, where do you begin though.

ukxmrv

Mushrooms make me nauseous - violently sick and I feel spaced out and awful on the tablets as well.

They were being used in the 80's and 90's before antiviral drugs and immune modulating drugs were becoming available though.

JAM

Jill
Not claiming this is for ME/CFS treatment, but interesting information on health benefits of mushrooms. There is another video somewhere where this guy Stamets claims to help cure his mother of cancer using Turkey tail.

I tried them and they had no effect, but I'm glad I tried. His book Mycelium Running changed the way I see the world.

JAM

Jill
Interesting, he also has a website with mushroom extract products, if anyone was really keen also grow kits. There is clearly real potential in some mushrooms, where do you begin though.
If you know what you have his staff is very knowledgable and helpful. I called them after my diagnosis and they suggested things based on previous experience, but made it very clear that they hadn't worked with my specific viral infection before.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I tried them and they had no effect, but I'm glad I tried. His book Mycelium Running changed the way I see the world.

From Amazon:

Mycelium Running is a manual for the mycological rescue of the planet. That’s right: growing more mushrooms may be the best thing we can do to save the environment, and in this groundbreaking text from mushroom expert Paul Stamets, you’ll find out how.

:wide-eyed:

Gingergrrl

I have been taking a supplement, Maitake Mushrooms, along with monolaurin (from coconut oil) as natural anti-virals since around Feb or March. My feeling about them is that even if they ultimately do not help, they cannot hurt. Or at least in my case, I do not have any negative side effects from them (but of course if someone does, then do not take them!)

Jarod

Mushrooms make me nauseous - violently sick and I feel spaced out and awful on the tablets as well.

They were being used in the 80's and 90's before antiviral drugs and immune modulating drugs were becoming available though.

You remember which ones you tried or had reactions to by any chance?

Jarod

Good question. Nobody really knows...

Saw Lions Maine growing on one of those indoor growing setups.

Logs pre-plugged for Lions Maine, Shitakes, and probably more can be bought and grown in the yard I guess. Keep them moist and in the shade. That's my kind of gardening. The low maintenance kind.

JAM

Jill
Good question. Nobody really knows...

Saw Lions Maine growing on one of those indoor growing setups.

Logs pre-plugged for Lions Maine, Shitakes, and probably more can be bought and grown in the yard I guess. Keep them moist and in the shade. That's my kind of gardening. The low maintenance kind.
I've grown them in a closet before too.