• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Duration of Methylation Protocol

cman89

I want to start off by stating that I am borderline CFS (undiagnosed) and am still rather high functioning in many respects. However, I feel that a Methylation protocol is a low risk way of helping me with the (mainly fatigue and lack of hormone production) that I experience. I have completed Fredd's trial run, and saw some improvement, no ill effects, but no real massive jump in energy levels either. I have been away from that regimen for almost a month now, and I seem to have slowed down a bit. Not too much, but I am also currently battling a cold and trying to wean off a St. John's wort/melatonin stack that I have been using. My question here is this: For those that have used a Methylation protocol and seen improvement, have you stopped without a recurrence of symptoms? Or are you still on the regimen? I am very confused as to whether this is supposed to be a continuous thing, or a one time/periodic process?

ahmo

It's likely that those of us who have certain genetic profiles will need the protocol long-term, that the body is unable to make the correct conversions without help. I can't answer beyond that. I've only been on the protocol for about 1.5 years. It's been life-changing. You might find some useful information at Ben Lynch's mthfr.net.

cman89

It's likely that those of us who have certain genetic profiles will need the protocol long-term, that the body is unable to make the correct conversions without help. I can't answer beyond that. I've only been on the protocol for about 1.5 years. It's been life-changing. You might find some useful information at Ben Lynch's mthfr.net.
How much functioning has Methylation brought back to you?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I agree with ahmo but would also add that as long as we have pathogenic processes going on that deplete glutathione, we will probably need to continue with methylation therapy. I started it in 2007 and am still at it.

Sushi

ahmo

I agree w/ Sushi, but I didn't want to go out on a limb, beyond my own experience.:whistle:

I've been calling it 70% increase in function, but this might be inaccurate. My nervous system has been transformed, so I feel totally different. No more neurological symptoms: balance, twitches, extreme sensitivity to sound, light, heat; no more overheating, flushes; no more life-long insomnia; no more life-long irritability, agitation, tendency to melt-down w/ frustration; no more brain fog.

My physical endurance lags far behind. I'm very susceptible to over-doing physically, including mentally or relating/conversations. Overdoing in any of these areas can lead to PEM, flares in adrenal-related symptoms.

My sense of well-being has so transformed as to make life interesting and worth living again. This benefit is incalculable.

Last edited:

aturtles

I have no intention of stopping, ever. Just the thought of it is slightly terrifying, given how it has changed my life in just over three months. Like @ahmo, I feel totally different. My problems aren't as severe, to be clear about it -- not nearly -- but my deep fatigue has been gone for weeks, my mood is happy and even-tempered, I'm sleeping deeply after a lifetime of insomnia, and other impressive healing is going on in my body.

For me, it's beyond good. As I just said in another post, I am stunned and amazed at how much better I feel. I would be sorely tempted to go door to door with handouts and a big smile, saying "have you heard the good news about methylation?" :):):) -- if I felt I had a better grasp on the variances between people's reactions.