• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help severe leaky gut...reacting to all foods

Hi I don't know if anyone can help, am in UK and have had leaky gut for nearly three years, becoming more and more intolerant to foods. The doctors here are useless, just saying I have ibs.

The last straw has been an intolerance to glutamines, so cannot tolerate be the few safe foods I could eat, salmon, brocolli and cauliflower...can anyone help??? Feel so exhausted....life seems pointless am just getting worse and worse. I have stopped all supplements.

The only thing I have left to try is fasting.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Mary

Moderator Resource

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Not sure where you are but I remembered this from a recent post, not sure if it is of any help

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4040816

believe it is being marketed as Tasectan in Europe.

So sorry, I know where you're at, I've been there a few times, luckily I've been able to tolerate GF bread for a few days and then its off again on the merry go round.

You might check out these sites, hopefully something there could help you:

http://draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9336/8-supplements-to-heal-a-leaky-gut.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-...ential-roles-for-proline-glycine-and-gelatin/

One suggests a bone broth diet/fast. I'm wondering if plain gelatin (which is high in glycine and proline) would suffice if it's difficult to get/make bone broth.

I hope this helps -

Mary

Thanks Mary and Mary b so much for your time and replies....unfortunately, I've tried these, I cannot tolerate gelatin or bone broth as have become very sensitive to glutamate in them. I just don't know how to stop the allergic reaction to food and now I seem to she intolerant to everything I just can't see how I can get any better

Mary

Moderator Resource
scobbie world - that is rough. I've never had to deal with that. One other suggestion- one thing that has helped me with several health issues that the doctors were helpless with is muscle testing done by a competent chiropractor. He helped me with my toxic liver, poor overloaded gallbladder, weak adrenals, and several other things.

I think it is quite likely that muscle testing could help you. You might be amazed at the subtle things it can pick up. I highly recommend it -

Best of luck-

Mary

CantThink

Have you also looked into mast cell issues?

A friend of mine in the US is so allergic to foods to the point where for some years she's had to use a complete meal replacement drink for allergies. I wonder if you could source something similar.

snowathlete

In the UK too and you're right, they're useless with this.

Last year I developed mass food intollerances. You've been doing the right thing to eliminate stuff that causes reactions. I expect you are already being very careful even of usually harmless additives etc.

What I did once I'd cut all the stuff out I couldn't tolerate was to work on improving my gut bacteria. I don't know if this would help for you but it might.
I am fortunate that I could still tolerate many prebiotics like fibrous vegetables. I also tried FOS, pectin RS and so on, fermented foods (some I could tollgate others I couldn't) and probiotics. But my starting point was a gut test with uBiome, which allowed me to have a fairly good guess at what might help.

I am still intolerant to things but slightly less so now. I was pretty desperate before but things seem more manageable now. Might be worth trying these things if you haven't already.

Gingergrrl

Are you able to do the food sensitivity test in the UK by US Biotek Labs? It helped me to create a plan to treat leaky gut back in June with my ND which was really helpful.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Also just thinking about other sensitivities, my food intolerances were made much worse by dust and mold. How is your environment, could it be affecting you as well, thereby compounding the problems?
Have you thought about things like Nalcrom, DAO?? not sure if that's correct, which reduce the histamine reaction.
Also I was advised to take vit C and tri salts when I had reactions, maybe help.

Think @snowathlete has a good point about improving the gut, there were many probiotics I couldn't tolerate but I eventually found some I could.

Can you tolerate yoghurt? sheep, goat if not dairy, even soy which I don't think is good for you but when desperate.....
white rice is usually tolerated by most,
How do you know its a response to glutamine, have you had tests?

xchocoholic

Have you tried eating foods you've never eaten before ? DGL and / or Enzymedica Spectrum appear to have helped stabilize my leaky gut.

Hope you feel better soon. X

Have you also looked into mast cell issues?

A friend of mine in the US is so allergic to foods to the point where for some years she's had to use a complete meal replacement drink for allergies. I wonder if you could source something similar.

I have looked at these, but they all contain sugars, artificial sweeteners or other things I can't tolerate. Do u know what one your friend used? How is she now? X

Hi Snowathlete, I was beginning to think I was only one in uk with all these food intolerances!

Thank you for all your help xchocoholic, gingergrrl, Mary b and can't think

Unfortunately I cannot tolerate anything fermented, I have just restarted probiotic capsules, turmeric, nalcrom, slippery elm and DGL.

My problem is am reacting to all food at present and no idea what to eat...any ideas what to try would be great.even if haven't eaten something for awhile, try it and am ok, then after two or three times become intolerant. I know I am intolerant as crave the food, have diarrhea worse than usual and get mouth ulcers soon after eating. This all kicked off after a long period of stress, being complacent on my candida diet and finally a Nasty stomach bug. I then started to become intolerant to carbohydrates.

Not sure what DAO is, so will google this

I do think I have mast cell "issues" but not sure what to do about this?? Am thinking of battling GP to try low dose naltrexone, has anyone any thought on this??

Do u think there's any point in trying FMT"??.

CantThink

I have looked at these, but they all contain sugars, artificial sweeteners or other things I can't tolerate. Do u know what one your friend used? How is she now? X
I'll ask her for you. She has had issues that lead to her having to be fed by feeding tube (nasally), but she had an operation this year so I'm not sure if she'll eventually be able to have that removed. I have a suspicion that drink she had was not very natural iykwim.

When I was struggling with figuring out what I was allergic and intolerant to, I used Garden of Life Raw Meal. It tastes hideous, but it kept me going for a while when I couldn't eat anything as every time ate I felt so ill and poisoned. I ended up starving myself for a bit, but to course that made me feel weak and cold. Maybe there's a natural meal replacement that to could tolerate.

JalapenoLuv

Try a naturopath, they are the experts on leaky gut stuff. Personally I doubt you're allergic to glutamine as it is an essential nutrient and needed for liver detoxification. Maybe just the glutamine food antigens.

snowathlete

LDN may be worth a go. It's used not only with ME but with ulcerative colitis and some say helps. I've not tried it but it's on my maybe list.

I know someone else, in the US, who can only eat rice and chicken and gas been that wag for several years. She's surprising well considering. She was planning a FMT last I spoke to her but I'm not convinced they work as yet based on most reports.

Have you tried oats? It's the only grain I can tolerate and is a really important part of my diet now. I know it may be no good to you but worth suggesting perhaps.

Last edited:

CantThink

I have looked at these, but they all contain sugars, artificial sweeteners or other things I can't tolerate. Do u know what one your friend used?

So this is the one she had to live on - http://www.nutricia-na.com/pages/pediatric_eo28.htm - it's aimed at children and sounds sugary!

So I saw this... http://www.listentoyourgut.com/absorb-plus.html and here's the ingredient information: http://www.absorbplus.com/diet/ingredients/ingredients.php. I noted it said:

Why use Absorb Plus?
Many similar products use cheaper, heat-extracted sources of protein, and are loaded with sugar, artificial colours, artificial flavours and high amounts of oil.