• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione Patch

ttt

Has anyone tried the LifeWave glutathione patch? James Roberts recommends it, and here's what he says about it, and it sounds good, but I'd love to know from someone's personal experience:

This patch directs your body to manufacture more glutathione, using raw materials already present and your body’s own enzyme systems. Glutathione is the key antioxidant/detoxification molecule in your body. Conversely, glutathione depletion occurs in response to chronic oxidative stress and toxicity (as in the average American). IV administration of glutathione increases excretion of toxic substances. Oral glutathione is not absorbed; instead we give your its precursor substance N-Acetyl Cysteine (used in Medicine to prevent kidney failure during angiographic procedures, tolerance to long-acting nitrates, or liver failure in Tylenol overdose situations). Those of you with the Methyl Cycle Cystathionine Beta Synthase (CBS) up regulation will not tolerate N-Acetyl Cysteine (due to its Sulfur content), but you should have no trouble with the patch. The patch does not provide you with Sulfur-containing molecules; rather it directs you to assemble these molecules into glutathione, a molecule that you can put to good use and a molecule that you likely need.
(from http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#Life Wave Patch Instructions)

greenshots

I haven't used the patch but it makes alotta sense, especially when you think about Rich's main theories with methylation, b12 and glutathione deficiency. Strangely enough, I used coffee enemas to boost glutathione. As an ICU nurse, this sorta stuff fell under pure quackery to me but I learned about this when my doc treated my sister's cancer successfully. I'm not sure she recommends this for non cancer patients but I figured my sister and I had alotta the same problems so started them up and was blown away! It may clean out sulfur and ammonia from the gut but it also boosts glutathione immensely, something like 500x the normal. Though my doc thinks people with too many blocks in the GST enzyme wouldn't benefit as much, I think most people probably would. Anyway, I have a full CBS C699t and my brain fog, headaches, and irritability were all awful but this helped alott. So I would think the patches would be really helpful too but you'd still need to do something about ammonia if you have the CBS. Let us know if you try them out and how you do.

ttt

Thanx, Angela! Funny thing is that even though I'm CBS+, my ammonia is low. I don't understand it, except maybe it has something to do with the fact that all my aminos are low.

The coffee enema sounds great. My concern is that I'm already manic, super-insomniac, agitated/irritated, and can't get my nervous system to chill out. Does the caffeine have an effect the way that it would if you drank it? Also, do you happen to the know the mechanism by which it boosts glutathione? I'm wondering ... since my aminos are low, I wonder if it wouldn't work, cause there's not enough raw material.

SB_1108

I've used the lifewave glutathione patches and honestly I'm not sure what effects they have on me? I tried to use them for about 3-5 days straight and they upset my stomach. So then I just started using the periodically, but I'm not sure how that is working for me? They seem to help when I'm feeling particularly toxic-like. My only concern was the ingredient Arsenicum Alb... which I've read is some herbal form of arsenic?!? That makes me feel a little uneasy about the product.

I agree that the coffee enemas are supposed to help boost glutathione levels - its just so much work! If you are like me you don't have the energy to prepare them as directed. They don't seem to have an energetic effect on me - but I can drink coffee without feeling any different, so that may be why.

According to the Gerson book: "In no way does the oral administration of the beverage coffee have the same effect as its rectal administration." And also "the palmitates of coffee enhance glutathione S-transferase, which is responsible for the removal of many toxic radicals from blood serum."

greenshots

I can't pretend to know all about CE's but I do know that I'm super sympathetic dominant which is a flight and fight personality and they relax me. I started off exactly opposite of what my sister did and started at strong coffee and felt horrible but when I backtracked and went slow and diluted it more I adjusted just fine. Its supposed to trigger the parasympathetic nerve arcs in the lower colon so that it has the opposite effect as when you drink it. My doc told my sister not to do the Gerson route of boiling it so she just got a huge stainless steel coffee maker and does it that way. Dr. Gonzalez is a cancer doc that says the same thing so for what ts worth, it doesn't need to be that hard to do.

I don't know about the low ammonia and aminos but its supposed to boost glutathione thru that reflex arc. There are papers about it but to be completely honest, I just went ahead with this stuff instead of researching it all like I normally do and it worked wonders. I still do them but not daily anymore, more like once or twice a week. I could see how someone who's a parasympathetic type might feel lousier at first, seeing as it triggers this more.

Thanx, Angela! Funny thing is that even though I'm CBS+, my ammonia is low. I don't understand it, except maybe it has something to do with the fact that all my aminos are low.

The coffee enema sounds great. My concern is that I'm already manic, super-insomniac, agitated/irritated, and can't get my nervous system to chill out. Does the caffeine have an effect the way that it would if you drank it? Also, do you happen to the know the mechanism by which it boosts glutathione? I'm wondering ... since my aminos are low, I wonder if it wouldn't work, cause there's not enough raw material.

PeterPositive

Sorry for sounding a bit negative :)

I know the product but I am kinda suspicious they really do what they promise. The whole family of products is sold via multi-level marketing, which is a red flag for me.

Additionally the patches don't deliver any glutathione but "somehow" they should stimulate the body to produce it... (it's a mix of TCM, nano-particles and lots of hype) and I have yet to see any independent testing showing that they really work.

Given that they are pretty expensive I would probably look elsewhere.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm trying out Essentials glutathione liposomal - one teaspoon a day, seem to be tolerating it so far, I couldn't tolerate the IV glutathione. I will know if its working next week when I have my bloods checked, my liver enzymes were raised quite a lot last month, so we'll see if its helped.

Gingergrrl

@maryb I have taken liposomal (liquid) glutathione for at least 3-4 months, also 1 tsp per day, but have noticed no benefit (good or bad) so I stopped even though I have two new bottles that I just bought and they are super expensive. I can't figure out if they are good for me or bad for me? I keep hearing mixed information. I have never tried Glutathione IV's or patches.

Gingergrrl

I would think you would feel better, less toxic ??

That's what I had hoped but I never felt any improvement from the Glutathione whatsoever and even wondered if it could be making me worse? My naturopath recommended it but I have not seen her since July and just kept on taking it. I read that sometimes it is better to try to produce your own Glutathione from trying methylation but never quite grasped how to know which was better in any individual person? I just re-started Methyl B-12 shots today and wasn't sure if I should try to re-start the Glutathione, too? I wish I hadn't bought the two new bottles b/c they are so expensive and now I feel conflicted about it!

knackers323

@PeterPositive yep I agree they are probably no good. I've tried the liposomal but didn't notice anything.

IV isn't an option at present so looking for another form like a cream or suppository etc. Anyone have any experience with these forms?

I've just learnt that L-glutathione comes in a lozenge that they claim works. Anyone know if this is true?

Last edited:

PeterPositive

well if my liver enzymes are back down to normal I will have my answer:)
I've had some problems with liver enzymes too and I started taking l-glutathione (Jarrow 3x 500mg), selenium (100mcg) and Milk Thistle (1000mg). After 3 months I retested and the liver enzymes came back normal. Do you take Milk Thistle?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I was taking Milk Thistle until last weekend but been feeling rough so stopped all supplements. I will go back on it, think its a good one to take for everyone who's sick.

PeterPositive

I think you carefully should consider if taking milk thistle is a good idea as it decreases detoxification in Phase I in the liver.

www.ncm.nih.gov/pubmed/11038151bi.nl
Interesting. Oddly I can't reach the page, but it seems that the conclusions of the study are at least controversial:

Alternatively, this may be related to the effect of silymarin on detoxification systems. In vitro data have shown silybin to stimulate and/or inhibit phase I detoxification pathways in silybin-treated human liver cells. However, this effect was found to be dose-dependent, and these levels are not physiologically attainable with the current manufacturer dose recommendations.[32,33]
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/milkthistle/HealthProfessional/page4