• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New lab results are in, proinflammatory cytokines/chemokines skyhigh after 9 mo. treatment!

Thinktank

I'll just keep it short because my brain isn't cooperating today. I get my pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines measured every 3 months. After 7 months treatment:

IL-1 = 221 (ref. range 0 - 3)
IL-6 = 799 (ref. range 0 - 5)
IL-8 = 20051 (ref. range 0 to15) :wide-eyed:
MCP1 = 508 (Ref. range 0 to 165)
M1P-BetaS = 16186 (Ref. range 0 to 155) :wide-eyed:
TNF-a = 85 (Ref. range 0 to 6)
PGE-2 = 40 (Ref. range 0 tot 6)

What the...... :bang-head: :mad:

Thinktank

6 weeks IV ceftriaxone 2gr.
6 weeks IV azithromycin 500mg.
16 weeks doxycycline 200mg + Clarithromycine 500mg
GcMAF 25ng weekly
Nexavir 2CC daily
10mg hydroxyB12 subc. twice weekly

I'm currently on IV ceftriaxone 2gr + plaquenil.

Can you post the link to that study?

Anyone else having such high values during lyme treatment?

Thinktank

I've received a letter from my LLMD with a short explenation of the lab results.
He basicly says i'm suffering from a strong herx, the pro-inflammatory cytokines, chemokines and PGE2 are elevated because of that.
I should continue the current treatmentplan and go back within a month for evaluation and new tests.

My neuroinflammation or "herx" is pretty bad at the moment. I hope it will pass....

I've received a letter from my LLMD with a short explenation of the lab results.
He basicly says i'm suffering from a strong herx, the pro-inflammatory cytokines, chemokines and PGE2 are elevated because of that.
I should continue the current treatmentplan and go back within a month for evaluation and new tests.

My neuroinflammation or "herx" is pretty bad at the moment. I hope it will pass....
My Herxheimer symptoms lasted 4-5 weeks on each of the IV drugs (same ones you're on). Generally with fevers and hypotension at a similar time every day or building up toward the end of each week.

What treatment were you on for 7 months at the time of testing?

Thinktank

At time of testing i was into my 4th month of doxycycline and clarithromycine.

Week 1 to 6: IV ceftriaxone 2gr
Week 7 to 12: IV azithromycin 500mg
Followed by 4 months doxycycline 200mg + clarithromycin 500mg
Now 3 months IV ceftriaxone 2gr. + plaquenil

I've attached a screenshot of my cytokine values etc. from the past 12 months.

Attachments

• cytokines.gif
    cytokines.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

duncan

Thinktank, I think it's terrific that you're being treated for Lyme, and you are monitoring your cytokine profile. Are you part of a study? Are you just gauging your progress based on the cytokines' tendency to trend back toward in-range? More to the point, does your clinician trace your values directly to Lyme?

I have never had my cytokines mapped. I tried unilaterally once, but the labs got screwed up.

Last question, but for me it is important: Did you have your values for NK cells generated, and if so, did your clinician say how they were related to your Lyme? My NK cell numbers came in low, out of range, at 5 (7-175 = in range). Those numbers were part of testing I had done by a good ME/CFS clinician. But I am also part of an unrelated US study (read that Old Guard) looking at Lyme, and I fear if I bring in my NK cell value, the researchers will discount those and scold me for introducing irrelevant numbers. I am aware of the Natelson/Shuster?/Coyle study where they looked at CSF patterns that distinguish between ME and Lyme and controls, but beyond that....

Edited to add: You know, before I agreed to this study, I specifically asked if they would be mining for cytokine/chemokine data, and I was assured they would. I have had drums of blood work taken over a few visits, also CSF drawn - but no cytokine/chemokine data. I have all my reports, and they're not in there. There is loads of data, and that has kept me occupied to an extent, because much of it is controversial. But still. I go back next month, and will be asking what happened, although I'm fairly sure my concerns will be shrugged off.

Last edited:

cigana

At time of testing i was into my 4th month of doxycycline and clarithromycine.

Week 1 to 6: IV ceftriaxone 2gr
Week 7 to 12: IV azithromycin 500mg
Followed by 4 months doxycycline 200mg + clarithromycin 500mg
Now 3 months IV ceftriaxone 2gr. + plaquenil

I've attached a screenshot of my cytokine values etc. from the past 12 months.
My results over 2 years have been very similar to yours - consistently raised IL-8, prostaglandin E2, MCP and MIP. Welcome to the club.