• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Woman with Lyme misdiagnosed with ADHD and bipolar disorder

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
This was a shocking piece on the BBC World Service radio station's Outlook programme last night.

The sufferer was Jane Green, who has written a novel based on her experience.

You can listen here.

It seems to be the first item on the programme, so maybe best to just click 'play' and wait, rather than trying to click through - when I did that it kept freezing.

Min

I suspect that most so-called psychiatric illnesses are Lyme or another pathogens affecting the brain. My friend has severe OCD that started when he caught a bacterial infection in South America.

The problem is that the psychiatric profession are determinedly preventing biomedical research. It would probably show them up as frauds.

MeSci

I suspect that most so-called psychiatric illnesses are Lyme or another pathogens affecting the brain. My friend has severe OCD that started when he caught a bacterial infection in South America.

The problem is that the psychiatric profession are determinedly preventing biomedical research. It would probably show them up as frauds.

I strongly suspect that a lot of supposedly-psychiatric illnesses are due to gut problems, e.g. leaky gut, acidosis, SIBO, short-bowel syndrome, etc.

I'm one of the many who achieved a dramatic reduction in anxiety after starting a leaky-gut diet. Having been diagnosed as having 'anxiety complex' in childhood, and being driven to using various drugs - often to excess - by this anxiety - for decades - I now suspect that I could have avoided all that anguish (and the knock-on effects) if I had just changed my diet.

Last edited:

A.B.

I strongly suspect that a lot of supposedly-psychiatric illnesses are due to gut problems, e.g. leaky gut, acidosis, SIBO, short-bowel syndrome, etc.

I'm also starting to believe this. Psychiatry seems to be entirely focused on the brain though, so I think it will be people from outside the field that will make the discoveries.

I'm one of the many who achieved a dramatic reduction in anxiety after starting a leaky-gut diet.

I don't really have an anxiety problem but noticed that probiotics make me surprisingly calm and stable, with none of the sedation of psych drugs. Gut issues also seem to come together with relapses.

Sidereal

Streptococcus can cause sudden-onset OCD like that.

Like @MeSci I think more and more evidence points to these supposedly brain problems actually originating in the metabolic and immune mess of a leaky dysbiotic gut. I have had a significant and immediate reduction in anxiety from taking prebiotics like resistant starch.

Martial

I'm one of the many who achieved a dramatic reduction in anxiety after starting a leaky-gut diet. Having been diagnosed as having 'anxiety complex' in childhood, and being driven to using various drugs - often to excess - by this anxiety - for decades - I now suspect that I could have avoided all that anguish (and the knock-on effects) if I had just changed my diet.

A bulk of our seratonin receptors and immune system reside in the gut, this makes a lot of sense.

MeSci

A bulk of our seratonin receptors and immune system reside in the gut, this makes a lot of sense.

Just seen that this old thread is about neurotransmitters and the gut. Last year I started taking 5-HTP, due to a persistent gloom following a sad event, and after coming across the tryptophan/serotonin/kynurenine pathway in the Resistant Starch Challenge thread. After 2 weeks my mood lifted.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
This was a shocking piece on the BBC World Service radio station's Outlook programme last night.

The sufferer was Jane Green, who has written a novel based on her experience.
I heard that too! The name of her novel is Saving Grace.