• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine

sregan

Seems we need some but not too much. I've had some very positive results with supplements that mess with histamine one way or another (Niacin a couple of years back, Dao enzyme and recently my Ester C with Rutin and Hesperedin, and SMP).

I've had enough positives with Histamine supps to believe I need to really dive into this. Something at work here but it's very dynamic making it hard to pin down.

I found this article today that indicates Salt as an anti-histamine also impresses the importance of taking Salt with Potassium: "A good example is orange juice. Orange juice is loaded with potassium that our body cannot use without salt. * So when a person drinks orange juice and does not take enough salt that is required for the potassium to go into the human cell, then histamine is released to take care of this problem"

I've looked into the mast cell information posted here already and tried the Mast supplements like luteolin and NeuroProtek.

I would love to hear from those of you that have mastered/researched histamine.

ahmo

@sregan very interesting article re salt. Just responding off the top of my head here...mast cells are certainly involved w/, or maybe in some instances, causative of, histamine reactions. Mast cell reactions can be triggered by adrenal stress. When my adrenals have been stressed, my body rejects salt....

I'm actually quite speedy in the moment, histamine reaction from coffee enemas, I believe.:lol: but also I'm probably responding to increased methylation. Rather, I think my methylation cycle is pushing histamines. Because I just quit my last green veggie 2 days ago to see if this was provoking eczema I'd been unable to eliminate. Seems like this is the case: veggie folinic blocking Mfolate, leading again, for me, to adrenal stress and some mast cell and eczema response. It seemed evident after 24 hrs., moreso after 48 hrs, that quitting the veg has removed some stress on my adrenals, and today body wants more salt. Plus, for the first time I took my midday folate by emptying capsule into buccal pouch, instead of swallowing: seems to be much more effective uptake.

I'm just blurting all this out because somehow they're related: folate, methylation and 'over-methylation', mast cells, histamines, adrenals, salt/K+....OK, that's all I can manage, I've got to go calm down my system! :whistle:

Gondwanaland

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it @sregan .

Coincidentally just a couple of days ago I was reading Revici's theory on the origin of life and how the cell citoplasm contains high concentration of potassium and the blood serum contains high concentration of sodium. Will try to experiment with dosing those two.

In the past I have always underestimated my histamine problems b/c I never had obvious symptoms, or never linked any symptoms with the exact triggers. I just became aware of these symptoms as they disappeared upon taking magnesium oxide and Saccharomyces boulardii. But then when your read lists of symptoms you see that they overlap for a large number of conditions like SIBO, HIT, leaky gut, liver, thyroid, adrenals, you name it.

Perhaps the ultimate solution is to manage a good balance between electrolytes once the nutritional deficiencies have been repaired. Now that I feel to be ok with magnesium, I have been dealing with low blood pressure, a symptom for several conditions (including excess magnesium), and what if I can manage it just by using salt?

Before the magnesium I had been trying to get rid of frequent urination for a long time. I remeber of eating salted cantaloupes just a few months ago and they tasted just delicious with the added salt :wide-eyed:

I was so happy that loading magnesium helped to improve the polyuria by 80% and completely surprised by reaching 100% upon taking S. boulardii.:jaw-drop:

This is my experience with it so far...

izzy

sregan

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it @sregan .

Before the magnesium I had been trying to get rid of frequent urination for a long time. I remeber of eating salted cantaloupes just a few months ago and they tasted just delicious with the added salt :wide-eyed:

I was so happy that loading magnesium helped to improve the polyuria by 80% and completely surprised by reaching 100% upon taking S. boulardii.:jaw-drop:

This is my experience with it so far...

izzy

Izzy, what brands of S. boulardii and magnesium are you taking please?

Gondwanaland

Izzy, what brands of S. boulardii and magnesium are you taking please?
I take magnesium oxide powder by NOW Foods and S. boulardii by Merck - I think it's called Florastor in the US - b/c it is the only one I can buy locally.

I think I can only tolerate magnesium oxide due to worsening of ammonia build up derived from taking minerals bound to organic acids. And then S. boulardii made it clear for me that my problem was a combination of conditions (one of them being high histamine).

About the other links you posted - they are very interesting and to add some confusion here this is what I mean about overlapping symptoms:

Magnesium deficiency (I was very deficient after going gluten free, having some rounds of abx and taking B vits)
http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html

Lysine/Arginine ratio (I have been craving high lysine foods lately and started supplementing it in low doses)
http://tendler5.wix.com/highlysinediet
http://www.nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/lysine.html

Salicylate intolerance (magnesium and S. boulardii helped me overcome it)
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/salicylate-allergy

Someone else might want to add some links about SIBO, Candida, liver issues....

izzy

NilaJones

I'm just blurting all this out because somehow they're related: folate, methylation and 'over-methylation', mast cells, histamines, adrenals, salt/K+....OK, that's all I can manage, I've got to go calm down my system! :whistle:

For me they are.

Quoting myself from a post this morning in the RS thread, bec typing hurts:

...high histamine foods, as well as flu shots and tamiflu, all give me dramatically increased inflammation. As do foods I am sensitive to (e.g. grains) -- in fact, this is how I define sensitive. Some, like gluten also give me fatigue, but not all. And folate and B12 help inflammation AND energy.

I am longing for some info on how these things are connected, though I don't know if RS is involved.