• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTASSIUM SUPPLEMENTS made me ill

I bought coconut water to have around in case of stomach flus, thanks to this discussion. I realized I'd rather re-hydrate with coconut than pedialyte any day! But for the amount of potassium I need, it's too high in carbs.

Can I be terribly lazy and ask how much potassium is in coconut water? (Do I have to read all the posts?). I know you'll think it's ghastly but I drink oj when I have the flu. I reasoned that the flu bug is giving off acidic waste and you want to alkalize big time -- oddly citrus is VERY alkalizing (even if it goes in as acid). So I do that and almost never throw up.

I guess just thinking about oj could make some people throw up. coconut water sounds good....

maddietod

Zico coconut water has 495mg potassium in 8 oz.........and 11 carbs. Which is really low for a food source of potassium.

greenshots

I think its important to remember something else:
Freddd is passionate about helping others avoid his mistakes and years of illness. Having not been through this illness, Dr. vank is much more cautious and has a methodical approach. But having the two opposite forces is wonderful! Sort of like having the little angel and the little devil or being in the debate club. The key is not impulsively reacting. When Freddd says something that just doesn't seem right for me, I don't even consider it. But when I do consider it, I take a week to see both sides and carefully choose my path. The same goes for Dr. vank.

I ask that everyone please remember a few things before we get too accustatory. Both of these fellows have helped people regain their lives and both are DONATING their time to do it. We get to decide which way to go and it may not be easy but it beats trying our luck out in the medical world on our own. They scoff in derision at CFS and think were mostly lazy hypochondriacs. But the ones that do empathize can't seem to help us in any meaningful way. At least, more than the two I've come across (who have made huge changes in my life). When its all said and done, it isn't Freddd & Rich's job to find the right way for us. Its our job to ponder both sides, try out what we feel is best based on our own research and interpretation and then to try it out, very carefully. When you hear horror stories about low potassium, look at your diet and regimen and ask yourself "Am I at risk?" or "have I prevented this problem already?". And, instead of starting at high doses, begin with a sprinkle or 1/8 dose instead of taking a larger dose.

We are adults who have to make our own decisions. They can only tell us what pitfalls to avoid and what helps. But, we have to sort it out very carefully to see what it means for our own health. Please, no blaming, they aren't our fathers and are not responsible for our decisions, they are here to help. Even when you might not feel that way.

Angela

Rand56

For those of you that like tomato juice, you can get substantial potassium in Campbell's Tomato Juice Low Sodium. 920mg's of potassium compared to only 120mg of sodium per 8 oz. serving.

maddietod

Yeah, I wish I could eat nightshades.

I drank a quart of coconut water yesterday, and was surprised that 4 hours later my potassium level was unchanged. Do you know how long it takes potassium to 'show up' in saliva?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Knudsen's organic tomato juice has the following nutritional info:

Nutrition Facts
Contains 100% Juice
Serving Size: 8 FL. OZ. (240 mL)
Calories: 60
Calories from fat: 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 390mg 16%
Potassium 860mg 25%
Carbohydrate 14g 5%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 8g
Protein 2g

As it turns out there is MORE carbohydrate/serving than in coconut water.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I drank a quart of coconut water yesterday, and was surprised that 4 hours later my potassium level was unchanged. Do you know how long it takes potassium to 'show up' in saliva?

No idea. I have never measured my saliva for potassium levels. I didn't even know this was possible.

Valentijn

Yes, but it's a lot more convenient than cooking/eating a potato or sweet potato. For me, all it takes is 2-3 cans/day.

I microwave my taters, or sautee ones bought pre-peeled and pre-sliced. So no too hard, though drinking coconut milk is still easier!

Sparrow

I know that after a week of consistent changes, for sure the blood level is affected (because I've had that tested before), but it seems like something that should be pretty quick I would think.

As far as I know it's up to your kidneys how much gets through, though, so if they don't have enough sodium to balance things out or if they're happy with your current levels, I'm not sure whether saliva/blood levels would go up regardless of how much intake you had (assuming the kidneys are working as they should). ...Or if your body is using up the extra faster than it's being replenished, I suppose.

maddietod

Madie, can u keep us posted on how helpful you find this meter? thanks.

Aquarius, I'll mostly talk about it on my methylation & folates thread. Short story, it's useful because all of my tests over 10 years have shown very low-normal potassium levels. So being a perfect candidate for methylation-related potassium problems, I like keeping an eye on my levels. What it's showing me is that even with daily supplementation, I'm still in the low range (3.45-3.75, normal is 3.5-5.2).

Adlyfrost

Yeah, I wish I could eat nightshades.

Hi @madietodd : what test do you use to measure K in saliva?

Adlyfrost

I know this is an old thread but soooo fascinating! I am having difficulty with high intakes of any mineral lately- dizziness, slow heart rate, low bp, sweating, feeling like I am falling, blurry vision, extreme weakness, etc. I also have extreme muscle tightening and jittery over the top caffeination feeling if I don't take minerals- esp. with MB12- even crumbs- even now that I stopped it!

I have decided to just take TINY amounts through day, stay on quarts of coconut water and get up on essentials vitamins and mineral co-factors such as taurine, thiamine and d-ribose. Hope this works!!!

Anyone tried OTC slow release potassium or other minerals? They are hard to find.

Gingergrrl

I did not read this whole thread but was recently prescribed a potassium pill by my cardio in the hospital b/c he said my potassium was too low.

It is the generic form of K-dur and I believe it is 20 meq. I have no clue how this converts to mg? I was told to take it twice a day but I am only doing once a day b/c it seems like too much potassium and is a huge pill and hard to swallow.

I also stopped taking Florinef which probably was depleting my potassium so hoping this will make a difference. So far I am not noticing any negative effects.

maddietod

Hi @madietodd : what test do you use to measure K in saliva?
I was using a potassium meter. I don't recommend this unless you're desperate, as the meter was a total pain to calibrate.

Now I go by muscle tension. If I get tense across my shoulders and up my neck, with a tension headache, I take 300 mg super-cheap potassium gluconate. If 300 doesn't fix it, I take 200 more.

halcyon

@madietodd did you find the meter useful otherwise? I assume you were using the Cardy or LAQUA meter? They're extremely expensive so I'm trying to figure out if they're worth using or not.