• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep attacks

Recently I've been experiencing what can be best described as "sleep wave attacks". What happens is that at certain times of the day I feel extremely sleepy for a short period of time. These sleep waves occur usually at the following times.

1-4pm, 6:30-7:30pm (after eating) and 8-9:30pm

I usually sleep in the afternoon or after eating, which sometimes helps resolve some brain fog. But avoid sleeping during 8-9pm period as I wake up within a couple of hours and also never go into deep sleep if at all.

Sometimes I even fail to fall asleep despite feeling extremely sleepy. I also get wake up early 4-6am (sleep at 11-12pm) but then fall half a sleep till around 9-10am.

This started fairly recently it first happened when I started taking Candex but then stopped for a couple weeks and started again.

I was thinking it might be narcolepsy however I don't fall completely asleep more like stage 1 sleep. Nor do I get vivid dreams.

Not sure what I should do about it?

MikeJackmin

I call them 'forced naps' - they usually come in the early afternoon, and sometimes early evening, and it can be pretty strong. I understand them to be a sign that I'm worn out and that I need to throttle back my activity level a bit.

I try to minimize sleep during the day, but if I really have to, I'll set an alarm for an hour so I don't overdo it.

Recently I've been experiencing what can be best described as "sleep wave attacks". What happens is that at certain times of the day I feel extremely sleepy for a short period of time. These sleep waves occur usually at the following times.

1-4pm, 6:30-7:30pm (after eating) and 8-9:30pm

I usually sleep in the afternoon or after eating, which sometimes helps resolve some brain fog. But avoid sleeping during 8-9pm period as I wake up within a couple of hours and also never go into deep sleep if at all.

Sometimes I even fail to fall asleep despite feeling extremely sleepy. I also get wake up early 4-6am (sleep at 11-12pm) but then fall half a sleep till around 9-10am.

This started fairly recently it first happened when I started taking Candex but then stopped for a couple weeks and started again.

I was thinking it might be narcolepsy however I don't fall completely asleep more like stage 1 sleep. Nor do I get vivid dreams.

Not sure what I should do about it?

This happens to me too - also between 1 and 4 or 5pm - but not usually after dinner. Just like @MikeJackmin I usually set my alarm for one hour - however, half the time end up sleeping up to two or three hours. I often feel it is my most restful sleep because, like you, I don't have the vivid dreams while napping during the day.

My night-time sleep is not restful - because of the dreams which are accompanied by drenching night-sweats.

I also don't know what to do about it - am trying to get a sleep study, but it is wildly expensive. I am looking for a medical trial that might include a sleep study that goes beyond just ruling out sleep apnea, which my husband insists I do NOT have (I never snore or breath strangely in my sleep).

Not sure if this helps. Best,
P-Kat

I call them 'forced naps' - they usually come in the early afternoon, and sometimes early evening, and it can be pretty strong. I understand them to be a sign that I'm worn out and that I need to throttle back my activity level a bit.

I try to minimize sleep during the day, but if I really have to, I'll set an alarm for an hour so I don't overdo it.

This is pretty much what I do, I tend to avoid sleeping in the evening as that sometimes means I cannot fall asleep at night. But make exceptions if I cant function.