• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAD, Niacinamide and methylation

PeterPositive

Hi,
I have recently experimented adding 25mg of NAD in sublingual form (this product) and I've found that it provides a nice energy boost without increasing anxiety, which is good :)

I am considering taking this every day and maybe taking it even twice a day if I find myself running out of juice, so to speak.

Question is... will NAD interfere with the methylation supplements? Niacin/Niacinamide is known to be a sponge for methyl groups and it's used to counteract the side effects of methyl-folate & C... I have no idea if NAD has the same properties and what would be a safe dose of NAD to avoid slowing down my already sluggish methylation?

thanks

adreno

PR activist
I think you will be fine. You still need some B3 one way or the other, and if you like the active form then 25mg isn't a huge dose anyway. It's true that B3 mops up excess methyl groups, but it also has many other functions.

PeterPositive

I think you will be fine. You still need some B3 one way or the other, and if you like the active form then 25mg isn't a huge dose anyway. It's true that B3 mops up excess methyl groups, but it also has many other functions.
Thanks.
I noticed that niacin and niacinamide supplements come usually in much higher doses, such as 250mg, 500mg and more. Is there any equivalence between say 500mg of niacinamide and X mg of NAD? Or it just doens't make sense?

I suppose it's not an easy question :)

sregan

NAD is a more active form of B3 and I would assume you need Less of it. As p5p is the most active form of B6 I might take 10mg sublingual instead of a 50mg b6.

NADH is even more active (but way more $$$) and something you might consider trying. However, if you do good on NAD you're lucky! I've got a bottle of NAD (and just about everything else) and it's not been any better than Niacin as far as I can tell.

adreno

PR activist
Thanks.
I noticed that niacin and niacinamide supplements come usually in much higher doses, such as 250mg, 500mg and more. Is there any equivalence between say 500mg of niacinamide and X mg of NAD? Or it just doens't make sense?

I suppose it's not an easy question :)
Yeah, it's probably about 5x stronger than regular B3.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Had good luck, also, with NADH. Lots of energy, not too much anxiety.

Critterina

Don't NAD and NADH push one reaction different ways, so that if what you're trying to do is get it to go one way, taking the other is counterproductive? (I did that by taking DMG when I needed TMG and that was not good!) Can anyone point me to that chemical equation?

I've also had good results from NADH, but it is pricey! So a less expensive alternative would be good, unless I'm doing myself in with it.

Jarod

Hi,
Niacin/Niacinamide is known to be a sponge for methyl groups and it's used to counteract the side effects of methyl-folate & C...

I take numerous b vitamins. I take all the b vitamins seperately to identify what works and what doesn't.

Niacin and B1 are a couple of my favorite b vitamins. Can't function without them, as I start getting gum problems.

B6 makes me severly agitated if I get too much. In fact, I just avoid it completely. In fact It is possible to overdose on B6 pretty easily for me. This has been tested in blood.

Last edited:
Niacinamide mops up methyl groups when the body converts it to NAD. So, if you are low in methyl groups, it would be better to try NAD from products like Niacel, Niagen, and Coenzymated B3.

I prefer NAD to NADH. (In cases of yeast overgrowth and alcoholism, there is too much NADH compared to NAD.) They have been using IV NAD (Niagen) to treat alcoholism. They have discovered that there is a point at which you can get too much NAD. The NAD will convert into NADH and other products, and this will block some of the properties of NAD. There is more information about this at the website for NAD intravenous treatments in San Diego.

PS: I could not tolerate niacinamide or B6, but I am fine with P5P and NAD.

Since my lactate/pyruvate ratio is out of whack I thought I would give Niagen a go.
Oh boy.
Today is only day 1.......and I took 100mg on an empty stomach, instead of the recommended 250mg. And I have been sick as a dog all day. No idea if it's a clue, but I got the same heady nausea symptoms I get from most pain killers...... (as well as diarrhoea). I realise of course that it takes a lot longer to work out if a supplement does what it is touted to do.....but I can't function with my head like this, so it's a bust for me I'm afraid. :(

Do you know what your pyruvate/citrate ratio is?

Citrate? uhm. No. I only have Lactate and pyruvate.
Assuming I did the maths right, and there is a good chance I didn’t, I thought L : P is 10 But having just checked my unit conversion, I think it’s more like 100, which would be normal.
(Isn’t it odd to express a ratio with a single number?)

However using the formula specific to elevated pyruvate (from another thread quoting http://www.lunaliving.org/pdf/nad_therapy_e-book.pdf). The value is 63.
Which denotes an energy block ....somewhere....because of .....something. (You can tell how scientificy I am). My pyruvate level is 120 umol/L or 0.12 mmol/L

Formula for Energy Value II (Normal Value is 100+)
Use only the Pyruvate value reflected on the blood test results
If Pyruvate Value is between 0 to 0.048 then Pyruvate Value ÷ 0.0003
If Pyruvate Value is 0.049 and greater then 8 ÷ Pyruvate Value

The metabolic basis for this formula can be oversimplified viewed as follows:
•Pyruvate + NAD + CoA -> ATP + H2O + CO2
•Pyruvate + NADH -> Lactate +NAD

Deviations in respect of this value is like havingmoney in the bank, but not being able to
withdraw it for use. Amongst the approximate 2 000patients, who have already been
tested at Nutrimalaika, 54% showed deviations and 12% had borderline values.
Research indicates, that various pathological conditions are in particular associated with
increased levels of pyruvate. Low Energy Values IInormalises with NAD and co-factor
supplementation.

6.3.1 Increased Pyruvate Level
Increased blood pyruvate levels are reported in several disorders, including liver disease, congestive heart failure, diabetes mellitus, muscular dystrophy, thiamine deficiency, and various tumorous disorders. Elevated levels of pyruvate may reflect afailure of the enzyme due to a functional need for
cofactors derived from thiamin,riboflavin, niacin, lipoic acid, and pantothenic acid for optimal function. Levels of pyruvate in the tissues are further controlled by the biotin-containing protein, pyruvate
carboxylase, which controls the first step in the reformation of glucose from pyruvate.
Multiple forms of pyruvate carboxylase deficiency, some of which are biotin responsive,
have been reported.

Last edited: