• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How important are SHMT1 and SOUX1?

23andme no longer tests these two snps and it seems that Yasko thinks they are vital. So do I now have to spen another $495 to include these two?

Thanks,
Susan

Hip

There don't seem to be many people on this forum who have got benefit from knowing their SNP mutations, and so I think getting tested by 23andme is not worth the money and effort. People seem to think that in their SNPs are the answer to everything.

Critterina

I disagree, @Hip , that many people have got good clues to effective treatment from knowing their SNPs.

And it goes both ways: My brother had two sets of heart attacks and two stents within a year. He has Leiden V Factor. I don't. So no aspirin regimen for me! I'm not into treating things I don't have.

Susan,
I posted on your other thread, and my answer here would be the same: what else do you know about yourself that would tell whether these mutations might be important? How sick and how rich are you, that $495 might be a good investment in your health? (Rhetorical question - please don't answer online.)

RE: SUOX, do you have rotten sulfur smells (out either end) when you eat eggs or onions? If not, I wouldn't worry.

RE: SHMT, any signs of leaky gut? (Assuming Yasko is right about the association.) Any methylfolate deficiency symptoms? (And if so, supplementing with methylfolate might do the trick instead of treating for SHMT). If you're concerned, you could also trial Yasko's SHMT+ spray and see if it makes any difference to you. (I did. Not impressed, but it tastes good and helped me diagnose my histamine intolerance, but that was a coincidence because I used it and drank some kombucha shortly thereafter)

FYI, I have both SUOX and SHMT. I had no leaky gut, no histamine intolerance, until I had (1) gall bladder removed Dec 2010 and then (2) 5 courses of antibiotics, three of which were Levaquin, in Dec 2012. So, the SNPs alone, in my case, were nothing to worry about. I'm starting a 4R gut rebuilding program, Step 2.

Thanks so much Critterina. I've created my signature with most of the info. Yes, definitely leaky gut. Yes, cannot tolerate eggs, onion, garlic, etc. No Leiden V Factor. Just tested that and a bunch of other stuff too.

NOT RICH! lolol but pretty darned ill. On disability since 2010. Worst symptom is my unrelenting dizziness.

Really appreciate your input.

Susan

Critterina

Susan,

I saw your signature pop up. Have you considered Histamine Intolerance? Here's the article:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.long
I have made a food list that works for me, mostly. If you're interested, I can send it to you.

And Caledonia has a link in her signature for a summary of the 4R gut rebuilding programs. I like the one at:
http://www.afmcp-sa.com/ansr/ansr_index.html . The title starts "Gut Dysfunction"

I'd say, about the test, save your money and try some experiments. It's not risk-free, but you seem to have a lot to go on. If possible, discuss your experiments with your healthcare practitioner, because that person may be more aware of the risks than you or I. In the course of this journey, I have made three pretty important mistakes. I've recovered from them, but not everyone is so lucky.

I've been on this journey for so long and yes, I, too, have also made some big mistakes! Most recently, worked with a practitioner who claimed to be expert in methylation issues, but just ignored my results and put me on GAPS. I did that for weeks, and finally, after examining my results, realized it is pretty much the opposite of what I need to do!

I just cannot tolerate dairy OR fermented foods and she was trying to get me to include them. Plus, bone broth is an excitotoxin that really made me feel worse.

I do believe I am histamine-intolerant.

Your feedback has been invaluable to me, Critterina. I pretty much have done it all for the gut and as long as I stay with foods I can tolerate, it's pretty much ok. I use a great probiotic and digestive enzymes that really help.

Yes, I would love your list of foods.

Thank you again,
Susan

Hip

I disagree, @Hip , that many people have got good clues to effective treatment from knowing their SNPs.

And it goes both ways: My brother had two sets of heart attacks and two stents within a year. He has Leiden V Factor. I don't. So no aspirin regimen for me! I'm not into treating things I don't have.

I should have qualified my statement, @Critterina: when I said above that "there don't seem to be many people on this forum who have got benefit from knowing their SNP mutations," I was thinking in terms of ameliorating ME/CFS symptoms.

If you look at this thread I started:

Who has improved their health through knowing their SNPs, and how did you achieve this?

there aren't exactly hoards of people posting on that thread, saying that the 23andme results were helpful for their ME/CFS. I was rather hoping there would be, but there are not.

So perhaps 23andme is a bit of red herring in terms of an approach to treating ME/CFS.

Though certainly your 23andme results can provide useful info for your health overall. For example, I learnt from my 23andme results that certain chemotherapy drugs would be inappropriate for me. So this is useful knowledge. But as for ameliorating ME/CFS, I have not come across many cases where 23andme has helped.