• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Reeves Removed from the CDC's CFS Research Program

R

Robin

I posted this on the other reeves is out thread (apparently one just isn't enough)

Merged! ;)

EDIT: Do we know if he was forced out or just decided to leave on of his own accord?

Quilp

They're dumping him on Valentine's day, a day of love. Perhaps we could get rid of Wessely on bonfire night ?

jspotila

I still can't believe it, myself! Here is the full text of the CAA notice through the Grass Roots Action List:
Alert: Change of leadership announced for CDC's CFS Research Program
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced that Dr. William C. Reeves, head of the agency's CFS Research Program, will be taking a new position within the agency effective Feb. 14, 2010 and that he will no longer lead the agency's CFS research. Dr. Elizabeth Unger will serve as acting chief of the Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, the unit within CDC that houses the CFS Research Program. On Feb. 14, Dr. Reeves will begin an assignment as Senior Advisor for Mental Health Surveillance in the Public Health Surveillance Program Office within the CDC's Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services.

The CFIDS Association of America, other organizations and advocates have vocally supported new program leadership to effect a more robust research effort at CDC. This staffing change has the potential to significantly advance CFS research beyond the agency's intramural program and to seize scientific momentum generated by recent discoveries. We are fully dedicated to making rapid progress in this new era of collaboration and discovery in CFS research.

I have no information on whether he was "invited" to move on, or whether he asked to move on. But this is a TREMENDOUS opportunity to push the CDC program back on track. Truly an extraordinary opportunity.

*GG*

William Reeves out as head of the CDCs CFS Research Program!

Alert: Change of leadership announced for CDC's CFS Research Program:D

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced that Dr. William C. Reeves:Retro mad:, head of the agency's CFS Research Program, will be taking a new position:sofa: within the agency effective Feb. 14, 2010 and that he will no longer lead the agency's CFS research.:D Dr. Elizabeth Unger will serve as acting chief of the Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, the unit within CDC that houses the CFS Research Program. On Feb. 14, Dr. Reeves will begin an assignment as Senior Advisor for Mental Health Surveillance in the Public Health Surveillance Program Office within the CDC's Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services.

The CFIDS Association of America, other organizations and advocates have vocally supported new program leadership to effect a more robust research effort at CDC. ;)This staffing change has the potential to significantly advance CFS research beyond the agency's intramural program and to seize scientific momentum generated by recent discoveries.:confused: We are fully dedicated to making rapid progress in this new era of collaboration and discovery in CFS research.:rolleyes:

K. Kimberly McCleary
President & CEO
The CFIDS Association of America

CBS

Voluntary?

Merged! ;)

EDIT: Do we know if he was forced out or just decided to leave on of his own accord?

I simply cannot conceive of him leaving now of his own accord. To do so would be such a huge admission of negligence and failure.

We should warn him about getting too upset or he's likely to end up seeing Dr. Wessley.

K

Katie

Katie, it's time to put on your red bottom shoes and dance a Jig!!!!i KNEW people would start to wake up!!! YIPPEEEEEEE:victory:Victory

Oh they are on and they are dancing, I'm also putting on a kick bottom red cocktail dress and popping a bottle of champers for all! You better be joining me!

It says Dr. Elizabeth Unger will be "acting chief", which implies it is temporary.
I suppose they've got to advertise the job, who they pick will tell us a huge amount about the direction research is taking, I'm on tentahooks. Champagne for you too?

CBS

Thank You CAA (and IACFS/ME)!

I still can't believe it, myself! Here is the full text of the CAA notice through the Grass Roots Action List:

I have no information on whether he was "invited" to move on, or whether he asked to move on. But this is a TREMENDOUS opportunity to push the CDC program back on track. Truly an extraordinary opportunity.

Jennie - WAY TO GO!!! This is huge for everyone and we all owe the CAA a big THANK YOU for your central role in making this happen.:victory:

I'd drink to this if my system could handle it. Someday I'll have to make a point to do so.

V99

Elizabeth Unger has publish papers with Reeves.

Here are some from the last few years.

2009: Markowitz Lauri E; Sternberg Maya; Dunne Eileen F; McQuillan Geraldine; Unger Elizabeth R
Seroprevalence of human papillomavirus types 6, 11, 16, and 18 in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004.
The Journal of infectious diseases 2009;200(7):1059-67.

2009: Markowitz Lauri E; Unger Elizabeth R; Saraiya Mona
Primary and secondary prevention of cervical cancer--opportunities and challenges.
Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2009;101(7):439-40.

2009: Panicker Gitika; Lee Daisy R; Unger Elizabeth R
Optimization of SELDI-TOF protein profiling for analysis of cervical mucous.
Journal of proteomics 2009;71(6):637-46.

2009: Bandea Claudiu I; Koumans Emilia H; Sawyer Mary K; Dover Jason; O'Connor Angelica; Papp John R; Unger Elizabeth R; Braxton Jim; Black Carolyn M
Evaluation of the rapid BioStar optical immunoassay for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis in adolescent women.
Journal of clinical microbiology 2009;47(1):215-6.

2009: Jones James F; Lin Jin-Mann S; Maloney Elizabeth M; Boneva Roumiana S; Nater Urs M; Unger Elizabeth R; Reeves William C
An evaluation of exclusionary medical/psychiatric conditions in the definition of chronic fatigue syndrome.
BMC medicine 2009;7():57.

2008: Saraiya Mona; Ahmed Faruque; White Mary; Lawson Herschel; Unger Elizabeth R; Eheman Christie
Toward using National Cancer Surveillance data for preventing and controlling cervical and other human papillomavirus-associated cancers in the US.
Cancer 2008;113(10 Suppl):2837-40.

2008: Steinau Martin; Swan David C; Unger Elizabeth R
Type-specific reproducibility of the Roche linear array HPV genotyping test.
Journal of clinical virology : the official publication of the Pan American Society for Clinical Virology 2008;42(4):412-4.

2008: Datta S Deblina; Koutsky Laura A; Ratelle Sylvie; Unger Elizabeth R; Shlay Judith; McClain Tracie; Weaver Beth; Kerndt Peter; Zenilman Jonathan; Hagensee Michael; Suhr Cristen J; Weinstock Hillard
Human papillomavirus infection and cervical cytology in women screened for cervical cancer in the United States, 2003-2005.
Annals of internal medicine 2008;148(7):493-500.

2008: Nater Urs M; Youngblood Laura Solomon; Jones James F; Unger Elizabeth R; Miller Andrew H; Reeves William C; Heim Christine
Alterations in diurnal salivary cortisol rhythm in a population-based sample of cases with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Psychosomatic medicine 2008;70(3):298-305.

2008: Hariri Susan; Dunne Eileen F; Sternberg Maya; Unger Elizabeth R; Meadows Kristi S; Karem Kevin L; Markowitz Lauri E
Seroepidemiology of human papillomavirus type 11 in the United States: results from the third National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey, 1991--1994.
Sexually transmitted diseases 2008;35(3):298-303.

2007: Markowitz Lauri E; Dunne Eileen F; Saraiya Mona; Lawson Herschel W; Chesson Harrell; Unger Elizabeth R;
Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
MMWR. Recommendations and reports : Morbidity and mortality weekly report. Recommendations and reports / Centers for Disease Control 2007;56(RR-2):1-24.

2007: Rajeevan M S; Smith A K; Dimulescu I; Unger E R; Vernon S D; Heim C; Reeves W C
Glucocorticoid receptor polymorphisms and haplotypes associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Genes, brain, and behavior 2007;6(2):167-76.

2007: Panicker Gitika; Meadows Kristi S; Lee Daisy R; Nisenbaum Rosane; Unger Elizabeth R
Effect of storage temperatures on the stability of cytokines in cervical mucous.
Cytokine 2007;37(2):176-9.

2007: Dunne Eileen F; Unger Elizabeth R; Sternberg Maya; McQuillan Geraldine; Swan David C; Patel Sonya S; Markowitz Lauri E
Prevalence of HPV infection among females in the United States.
JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association 2007;297(8):813-9.

2007: Steinau Martin; Rajeevan Mangalathu S; Lee Daisy R; Ruffin Mack T; Horowitz Ira R; Flowers Lisa C; Tadros Talaat; Birdsong George; Husain Mujtaba; Kmak David C; Longton Garry M; Vernon Suzanne D; Unger Elizabeth R
Evaluation of RNA markers for early detection of cervical neoplasia in exfoliated cervical cells.
Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology 2007;16(2):295-301.

2007: Saraiya Mona; Ahmed Faruque; Krishnan Sheila; Richards Thomas B; Unger Elizabeth R; Lawson Herschel W
Cervical cancer incidence in a prevaccine era in the United States, 1998-2002.
Obstetrics and gynecology 2007;109(2 Pt 1):360-70.

2007: Majer Matthias; Jones James F; Unger Elizabeth R; Youngblood Laura Solomon; Decker Michael J; Gurbaxani Brian; Heim Christine; Reeves William C
Perception versus polysomnographic assessment of sleep in CFS and non-fatigued control subjects: results from a population-based study.
BMC neurology 2007;7():40.

2006: Rajeevan Mangalathu S; Swan David C; Duncan Kara; Lee Daisy R; Limor Josef R; Unger Elizabeth R
Quantitation of site-specific HPV 16 DNA methylation by pyrosequencing.
Journal of virological methods 2006;138(1-2):170-6.

2006: Heim Christine; Wagner Dieter; Maloney Elizabeth; Papanicolaou Dimitris A; Solomon Laura; Jones James F; Unger Elizabeth R; Reeves William C
Early adverse experience and risk for chronic fatigue syndrome: results from a population-based study.
Archives of general psychiatry 2006;63(11):1258-66.

2006: Han Jian; Swan David C; Smith Sharon J; Lum Shanjuan H; Sefers Susan E; Unger Elizabeth R; Tang Yi-Wei
Simultaneous amplification and identification of 25 human papillomavirus types with Templex technology.
Journal of clinical microbiology 2006;44(11):4157-62.

2006: Swan David C; Limor Josef R; Duncan Kara L; Rajeevan Mangalathu S; Unger Elizabeth R
Human papillomavirus type 16 variant assignment by pyrosequencing.
Journal of virological methods 2006;136(1-2):166-70.

2006: Maloney Elizabeth M; Unger Elizabeth R; Tucker Ruth Ann; Swan David; Karem Kevin; Todd N Wendell; Reeves William C
Longitudinal measures of human papillomavirus 6 and 11 viral loads and antibody response in children with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis.
Archives of otolaryngology--head & neck surgery 2006;132(7):711-5.

2006: Nater Urs M; Wagner Dieter; Solomon Laura; Jones James F; Unger Elizabeth R; Papanicolaou Dimitris A; Reeves William C; Heim Christine
Coping styles in people with chronic fatigue syndrome identified from the general population of Wichita, KS.
Journal of psychosomatic research 2006;60(6):567-73.

2006: Craddock R Cameron; Taylor Renee; Broderick Gordon; Whistler Toni; Klimas Nancy; Unger Elizabeth R
Exploration of statistical dependence between illness parameters using the entropy correlation coefficient.
Pharmacogenomics 2006;7(3):421-8.

2006: Broderick Gordon; Craddock R Cameron; Whistler Toni; Taylor Renee; Klimas Nancy; Unger Elizabeth R
Identifying illness parameters in fatiguing syndromes using classical projection methods.
Pharmacogenomics 2006;7(3):407-19.

I reckon that the CDC has removed Reeves, so that they can say he is gone, when they announce to the press, the latest XMRV information. I hope!

starryeyes

That's not so good but this news is still FANTASTIC!!! :victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

Dr. Elizabeth Unger will serve as acting chief of the Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, the unit within CDC that houses the CFS Research Program.

Does this mean that CFS is no longer in the Women's Health Dept. at the CDC?

Dr. Yes

Shame on You

Katie:
Can we lobby this position in anyway? Any candidates?

That would be an important thing to look into, wouldn't it! Though I would be a bit astonished if they haven't already got a short list (at least) and even more astonished if they gave a damn what we think. But lobbying them intensely now to put someone respectable there who

(1) does NOT have a history of seeing this as a psychosomatic illness (not even 'partly'),
(2) is knowledgeable in ME/CFS history, and
(3) is actually a good scientist

makes sense; public pressure may well have had a role in Reeves' "reassignment". It would be wrong not to try, at least! But we would have to move fast, I think; I'm sure they expect us to, and have their PR department working on some curt replies.

Robin:
Do we know if he was forced out or just decided to leave on of his own accord?

The real story? Like it says in the Tootsie Pop commercial: "The World may never know." (Though I'm pretty sure Hillary Johnson will try to find out!)

Rachel:
Dr Bell's socks are virtually a blur...

Btw, I just posted the link to the recent Bell lecture on Vimeo, just put there today. Nice timing, since it sure looks like the XMRV issue did Reeves in...

Where's Bill?

I'm really beginning to believe that together we have once voice and it is powerful.

inde

index.cfm

Sing

What good news! The dog sleeping on the couch nearby started howling and jabbering in his sleep--a loud, emotional response from the gallery!

Well, the CDC wants to move fast and regain some leadership in this research now, and I hope they succeed.

Thank you, CAA, and all of us for becoming stronger advocates for ourselves. Thank you, Cort, for helping us work together.

Sing

Kati

Patient in training
Also big thanks to the CFSAC committee for speaking FEARLESSLY at the last minute and speaking LOUD AND CLEAR for Reeves to be given the boot-

I also wonder if this is happening because some of the preliminary results are coming back from the HIV lab at the CDC for XMRV replication studies... Wouldn't that be awesome?

:balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

camas

I also wonder if this is happening because some of the preliminary results are coming back from the HIV lab at the CDC for XMRV replication studies... Wouldn't that be awesome?

That was my first thought, Kati. Sure hope it's the case.

Quilp

Also big thanks to the CFSAC committee for speaking FEARLESSLY at the last minute and speaking LOUD AND CLEAR for Reeves to be given the boot-

:balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

I agree Kati, i'd love to know why they have made this decision. If this is confirmed ( XMRV at the CDC labs ) it's only a matter of time before Wessely et al fall too. Surely the pressure put on the CDC by advocates, lobbyists, even message boards, wouldn't in itself be enough, especially in light of the IC college results finding no XMRV. Is this a paradigm shift, or efforts to facilitate the lines of communication. This guy is hugely powerful within the CDC. Perhaps he himself felt the need for a change ? Did he jump or was he pushed. Will we ever find out ?

Kind regards, Mark