• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rejected from 23andMe

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I've heard of people being rejected by eHarmony... but this is worse: my spit was rejected by 23andme.

They have tried multiple times on 2 different saliva samples and just couldn't process it and get a reading. Too many errors.

Dear Sherpa,

Thank you for purchasing 23andMe's Personal Genome Service. Our laboratory analyzed your second saliva sample, but again was not able yield results which met our quality standards. The laboratory made multiple attempts to analyze your sample but was unable to return a satisfactory call rate.

As this is the second sample failure, we are unable to send you another sample kit. There are no known additional steps that would increase chance of success with a third sample. A full refund, less shipping and handling, is available to you.

Request refund for: Sherpa

Click here to get your refund now
:

I must have some CRAZY genertc mutations... maybe something like the rare and diabolical MTHFR X666 +/+ :devil: that cursed the lab equip :rolleyes:

What is the next cheapest alternative?

sregan

I've heard of people being rejected by eHarmony... but this is worse: my spit was rejected by 23andme.

They have tried multiple times on 2 different saliva samples and just couldn't process it and get a reading. Too many errors.

WTH? You were chewing tobacco when you made the spit sample or what? I assume you followed their directions to a T. Possible you have saliva with a minimal of genetic information?

They are hesitant to send you another sample kit because they are losing money. You might try in the future under a different name/email if you think you may have figured out why they rejected. I would google that and see if there is any discussion from others who have been rejected.

Sherpa

I followed the instructions to the T. Spit into the tube, up tot he fill line, double check, screw cap on tight, double check. Seal in bag. Mail. Register.

Maybe I just don't need to know my COMYs and CYPs and MTs

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

That is so weird! I don't know if you were mostly wanting the methylation info but you can do a blood test for the MTHFR gene to find out if you have that specific mutation. I did that first before doing 23andMe.

PeterPositive

I must have some CRAZY genertc mutations... maybe something like the rare and diabolical MTHFR X666 +/+ :devil: that cursed the lab equip :rolleyes:
LOL :D
Do they offer a somewhat technical explanation for what the problem really is? Isn't there enough genetic material?

Sea

What is the next cheapest alternative?

Sorry that happened to you. It doesn't have anything to do with what mutations you have. It is whether or not they can extract a reasonable dna sample from your saliva. I haven't read any explanation for why this happens for some people. Did you rub the inside of your mouth as they suggest so that there are some skin cells in the sample?
If you did, and still didn't get a result, I would think a blood based test is what you'd need to go for.

Sherpa

I don't remember rubbing the inside of my mouth or reading that on my instruction card. Just diligently and repeatedly spitting into the tube.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I think the main extractable source of DNA in saliva is skin cells from the inside of your mouth. If you try again, gently irritate the inside of your mouth before swishing and spitting. In lab I think we had a rough swab to slightly abrade our cheek insides with.

An alternate source of DNA is eyebrow hairs. IIRC, it's processed the same (or we might have had a special solution to put it into, then processed the same?). As a last resort, slip in a couple of eyebrow hairs with follicles (use sterilized tweezers, or wear kitchen or lab gloves--you can buy healthcare gloves at a pharmacy, I think). I will try to find my old lab manual and see if there was an important difference.

Another possible problem is if you touched the inside of the tube or the specimen in any way, with your fingers. Exterior skin contains enzymes that chop DNA into small pieces, as a protection against foreign DNA.

Last edited:

Critterina

It would be great to know your SNPs, but you seem to be doing so well without it, I'm not sure it's a big loss. You can always take the refund, get a new email, and buy a new kit. Maybe scrape you cheeks on your teeth a bit between spits?

Just a thought: I lose all the skin in my mouth if I use anti-plaque mouthwash. It peels off in sheets. I think most people lose some cells with mouthwash, maybe some more than others. If you use something like that, you might quit a week or so before spitting, so there are ripe old cells ready to fall off naturally.

Sea

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
An alternate source of DNA is eyebrow hairs. IIRC, it's processed the same (or we might have had a special solution to put it into, then processed the same?). As a last resort, slip in a couple of eyebrow hairs with follicles (use sterilized tweezers, or wear kitchen or lab gloves--you can buy healthcare gloves at a pharmacy, I think). I will try to find my old lab manual and see if there was an important difference.

I can't find the manual,but I think the buffer was different. So probably it's best not to do this.

Interesting about epithelial versus white cells.