• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brown tongue anyone?

valia

For the last 6 months or so my tongue is dark brown and furry, it lasts for about 3 weeks then all falls off leaving my tongue very smooth, red and raw, then the brown fur builds on it again.

Frightened the life out of my Dentist, don't think he wanted to touch me, dr said it was nothing to worry about.

I am not worrying don't have the brain cells for worrry, but just wonder how these weird symptoms can be ignored, it must signify something?

Oh, and it is not due to smoking

Hysterical Woman

Valia

For the last 6 months or so my tongue is dark brown and furry, it lasts for about 3 weeks then all falls off leaving my tongue very smooth, red and raw, then the brown fur builds on it again.

Frightened the life out of my Dentist, don't think he wanted to touch me, dr said it was nothing to worry about.

I am not worrying don't have the brain cells for worrry, but just wonder how these weird symptoms can be ignored, it must signify something?

Hi Valia,

Interesting question. I did come across this site at wrongdiagnosis.com re brown tongues.

HTH,

HW

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptom/brown-tongue.htm

Hysterical Woman

Thanks Maxine, just took a look, I hate that sight every link I click on takes me to another link then another, I didn't get to any information about brown furry tongue

Hi Valia,

The site can definitely be convoluted. If I got out there again, I will see if I can get a direct link to the information.

Take care,

HW

valia

Hi Valia,

The site can definitely be convoluted. If I got out there again, I will see if I can get a direct link to the information.

Take care,

Maxine

Thanks Maxine, love your user name "Hysterical woman" that's what I want to be when I grow up

Hysterical Woman

Or try this site - there are pictures.

Do you drink a lot of coffee or tea?

Some medications can turn your tongue brown, are you on many medications?

HTH,

HW

valia

Or try this site - there are pictures.

Do you drink a lot of coffee or tea?

Some medications can turn your tongue brown, are you on many medications?

HTH,

Maxine

Thanks just found it, I have bacterial infection but I think it is probably due to long-term antibiotics, I know it is not thrush I had that as a child and it was painful, this doesn't hurt at alll for 3 weeks, then only becomes raw and burnt after the fur has fallen off, however it must be due to some fungal overgrowth

Thanks again for taking the time to look it up for me

flybro

I've had this on and off for years, my Dad did to, i got Sporanox from the Doc, it cleared it up nicely. I am also on a loctose free diet which I think is helping too keep it at bay.

I have always put it down to being a tea drinker and a smoker, as my Dad was. However my mother is also a tea drinker and smoker and never gets it.

My mouth can get very sore still, I can't take asthma puffas and my mouth is a first symptom of MCS flare up. I may not smell or know there is a chemical in the environment by my mouth often becomes raw and sore, like I've chewed crushed glass with vinigar.

CJB

I know that prolonged use of hydrogen peroxide can cause this in some folks.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
After a treatment using 3 separate antibiotics, two of which I took in liquid form orally, my tongue got black and furry. I think it was as a direct result of the antibiotics. I've had thrush, too. I think they are both fungal infections (maybe a slightly different strain?), but the black tongue was a first for me.

Taking antifungals cleared it up. I took some over-the-counter stuff but I also chewed up my diflucan and swished it in my mouth. I'm still having a fungal problem in my gut since those antibiotics. I killed the gut bugs but it seems my gut is out of balance. Will have to keep working at it.

MEKoan

Sorry CJ!

I understand - you can't unsee something.

I was reading another site yesterday where someone simply described something, in a vivid fashion, that left me with an image in my head which will take some time to wear out.

I added a warning.

CJB

Sorry CJ!

I understand - you can't unsee something.

I was reading another site yesterday where someone simply described something, in a vivid fashion, that left me with an image in my head which will take some time to wear out.

I added a warning.

I agree -- my imagination can be worse than a picture. I felt stupid that I was unprepared -- what did I expect???:D

At least now everyone knows what we're talking about.

I got a black tongue from Pepto Bismol once. You just think --- now, what.....:(

valia

Thanks for all of your replies,

Yuk! I hate tea, I do drink 1 cup of coffee a day but only instant, after looking at that site, I feel sure it must be due to long-term antibiotics, I will ask my LLMD again when I visit next month (he was not concerned about it at all, so perhaps it is common)

Sorry folks, I answere before reading the second, page. My tongue actually looks worse than that black charcoal looking one mine is mahogonny brown, with white and yellow slime on top - Hope I haven't spoiled your breakfast!

Anyway at the bottom of the article it states - Lingua villosa nigra is also reported with doxycycline use, which is what I am on, it also says the condition can come in many colours,

I think I'll request green next time, my favourite

Hysterical Woman

Thanks for all of your replies,

Yuk! I hate tea, I do drink 1 cup of coffee a day but only instant, after looking at that site, I feel sure it must be due to long-term antibiotics, I will ask my LLMD again when I visit next month (he was not concerned about it at all, so perhaps it is common)

Sorry folks, I answere before reading the second, page. My tongue actually looks worse than that black charcoal looking one mine is mahogonny brown, with white and yellow slime on top - Hope I haven't spoiled your breakfast!

Anyway at the bottom of the article it states - Lingua villosa nigra is also reported with doxycycline use, which is what I am on, it also says the condition can come in many colours,

I think I'll request green next time, my favourite

Hi Valia,

Sounds like you might have pegged it as a doxycycline problem. Congrats?

Let us know if you are able to make it green next time.:D

Take care,

HW