• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to make the paleo diet easier

Sasha

Fine, thank you
There are a few of us doing the paleo diet but finding it quite hard work because of the food prep.

Here's where to post tips...

xchocoholic

Hi @Sasha

I noticed that you didn't post any tips. Raw is always an option. Lol.

From the other thread .... mostly anyways.

Juicing ready to eat / clean organic fruits and veggies helps. I'm not wasting time washing these anymore. This is where I get most of my fruits and veggies. I eat a few bites while juicing too.

It's tough finding clean organic fresh produce sometimes. I typically pass on the ones that aren't free of bugs and dirt nowadays and just buy the clean ones.

My basic juice consists of 1-2 cups red cabbage, 1-2 cups lettuce, 1/2 cup parsley, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1 apple, 1/4 cup pre-cut pineapple and tbsp or small chunk of lemon. Sometimes I'll add radishes including the leaves, brocolli, etc. I have to avoid oxalates so the stems are removed from high ox veggies.

I'll probably go back to baking multiple servings of meat in the oven again. That was easy.

Baking squash (acorn and spaghetti) is easy. Boiling eggs is easy.

Eta. I'm going to start using more disposable dishware too. May as well simplify as much as possible.

Got any ideas ?

Tc ... x

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sorry, @xchocoholic - was too tired to post much yesterday.

Those are good tips. I used to juice but have been persuaded that my gut bugs need the fibre so stopped doing that.

I've found some pre-washed organic salad (Waitrose, folks) that I can just tip in a bowl and add my own salad dressing (I make it up in a jar so it's always ready).

I've only recently had the wit to batch-roast meat - don't know why I didn't do that before. For other rubbish cooks out there, according to the internet (and my experience, now), meat doesn't take any longer to roast if you put more of it on the roasting tin - cooking time is related to the thickness of the meat, so two chops take as long as one chop.

I roast everything rather than stand at the grill or hob. I also batch-roast vegetables. I line the roasting tins with foil or (for the vegetables) non-stick silicone baking sheets so I don't have to wash the tins.

I've found I can microwave kale chips (just bits of kale leaf) if I just ut them, without oil, on the microwave plate and heat them for two minutes at a time (letting the microwave cool between goes - otherwise there's a risk it might damage it because you're not supposed to use it empty and kale doesn't have much water in to start with). I arrange them on the plate leaving a hole in the middle (I found the kale in the centre kept burning). It takes me three lots of two minutes with my microwave. I add a little oil and lots of salt when they're done. Washing the leaves and stripping the stalks out is a pain, though!

The main difficulty for me is the veg prep - washing things, peeling, chopping. That's where the energy goes.

I have a dishwasher - I couldn't survive without one.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I have a nutri-bullet and whizz myself a liquid brunch each day.

Usually something like:

Greens: lettuce, pak choi, spinach or sometimes kale
Other veg: Beetroot (favourite) or cucumber, courgette,carrot, tomato or celery
Fruit: apple + chunk of lemon (always) plus pear, plum, berries or banana
Topping: Nuts and/or seeds - just a spoonful & if I "need" sweetness I add sultanas too.
Glass of freshly made milk kefir and then top up with water.

Bit of prep involved but not too much. And it is very satisfying. Although I don't drink it all in one go.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I have a nutri-bullet and whizz myself a liquid brunch each day.

Usually something like:

Greens: lettuce, pak choi, spinach or sometimes kale
Other veg: Beetroot (favourite) or cucumber, courgette,carrot, tomato or celery
Fruit: apple + chunk of lemon (always) plus pear, plum, berries or banana
Topping: Nuts and/or seeds - just a spoonful & if I "need" sweetness I add sultanas too.
Glass of freshly made milk kefir and then top up with water.

Bit of prep involved but not too much. And it is very satisfying. Although I don't drink it all in one go.

Looks interesting - I have a blender but it's too heavy for me to use easily. I'll look into it.

With my blender, I found that a load of fibre usually settled at the bottom of the smoothie. Do you find that with the Nutribullet?

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I leave the base of the Nutribullet on the counter all the time.

Then just put all the stuff in the cup, screw down the blades and invert into the base to whizz it.

Only thing is sometimes I can't get a good grip on the blade unit to unscrew it again, but so far have always managed eventually.

Everything gets quite whizzed up - except sometimes sultanas which can get left in wee chunks - not sure why.

If the smoothie stands for a while, sometimes the fibre rises to the top - maybe that is linked to the Kefir (which produces CO2 when fermenting - perhaps the bubbles attach to the fibre??).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think it's to do with the type of fibre (soluble or insoluble). I think the insoluble stuff floats to the top, which doesn't make for a good smoothie.

I never really got the hang of what made a good smoothie and what didn't!

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I really don't worry one way or the other about soluble or insoluble stuff.

In my view whole foods are much better for us than separating out just the juice - we don't know what all we are throwing out with what's left after juicing. So so long as I add healthy ingredients then I reckon I'm doing right.

I also know I couldn't be bothered chewing all that amount of stuff... apple, carrot, etc. It would seem like a chore to eat it all, but this way I get all the benefits of a nice filling nutritious smoothie, without forever munching.

It has also been suggested that because it is so broken down into tiny pieces, that our digestive system can better extract the nutrients from the food, than if chewed (which doesn't produce such small bits).

Anyway, I like it - and so am happy to just do it anyway and hope that it is doing me some good too. ;)

xchocoholic

I can't handle all the fiber in the produce I juice. But I feel better from juicing. I eat other produce too tho. Just not the quantity I juice. I got the idea of loading up on produce from Dr Wahls.

I never got the energy from blending that I get from juicing the exact same ingredients. In lesser quantities of course tho.

I make high potassium smoothies to take to the beach or pool. These help my dehydration. I may switch to oj tho.

I like smoothies made with a large serving of cilantro, banana, kiwi and coconut water. Yum.

I started tasting aluminum about 10 years ago so I avoid foil. I could use to find a way to keep the pan cleaner tho.

tc .. x

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Great topic!

I found a veggy protein powder that I like. It's all veggy based, no sugar, dairy, etc. It comes in 5 flavors, but I only like the chocolate. If anyone likes a mocha (coffee) flavor, then you may really like the vanilla. Tried both fruit flavors but found them tasting a bit artificial even though these are only sweetened with stevia.

The only drawback is the price, on the expensive side, and the pouches only make 10 smoothies. I haven't tried adding extra ingredients on my own yet, but am looking forward to experimenting. And of course, I have no affiliation with this product.

I have only tried the "Vega protein smoothie" and not some of the other powders that have vitamins added, etc.

http://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Great topic!

I found a veggy protein powder that I like. It's all veggy based, no sugar, dairy, etc. It comes in 5 flavors, but I only like the chocolate. If anyone likes a mocha (coffee) flavor, then you may really like the vanilla. Tried both fruit flavors but found them tasting a bit artificial even though these are only sweetened with stevia.

The only drawback is the price, on the expensive side, and the pouches only make 10 smoothies. I haven't tried adding extra ingredients on my own yet, but am looking forward to experimenting. And of course, I have no affiliation with this product.

I have only tried the "Vega protein smoothie" and not some of the other powders that have vitamins added, etc.

http://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/

Hi Special - not seen you around for a bit!

It sounds a bit Frankenfood, this stuff! I can't find the ingredients anywhere.

Strawberry

With juicing I find the clean up the hardest part! I have only made smoothies once in the 6 months I have owned my juicer. Wish they would make self cleaning juicers.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
With juicing I find the clean up the hardest part! I have only made smoothies once in the 6 months I have owned my juicer. Wish they would make self cleaning juicers.

I got a Matstone 6-in-1 which was much easier to clean than the centrifugal ones. It's also much quieter. I'd recommend it. Take a look on YouTube to see all the bits and how it's put together/taken apart.

ahmo

I don't know if this is useful...I'm on GAPS diet, very limited. GAPS suggests using a slow cooker initially to cook meat in water, for better digestibility. 2.5 years on I'm still using this method, but not the slo cooker. I've switched to pressure cooker, which I :love:. I cook a beef or pork roast, lamb neck, chicken or chicken parts or carcass in 2 liters water. This gives me 2 l broth + the meat. I portion that meat into single serves and freeze on a tray, then into a bag in freezer. I'm only using bay leaf and salt in the cooking water. Cooks for 45 minutes. When I make bone broth w/o meat, takes 30 minutes.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Hi Special - not seen you around for a bit!

It sounds a bit Frankenfood, this stuff! I can't find the ingredients anywhere.

Lol Sasha :)

Scroll to the bottom, the ingredients tab is next to the 'nutrition' tab which is open by default.

Btw, I'd love to know what's in your homemade salad dressing, and how long it can be kept in the fridge.

xchocoholic

Well I just had a piece of toast with coconut manna and strawberry preserves. Hee hee hee. I was starving after eating paleo foods all day. Constant hunger was a problem the last time I tried this too.

I'm rethinking the whole mostly (99%) paleo concept I tried before. Maybe that was unrealistic. It was stressful and I certainly enjoyed the toast.

Tc .. x

Ps. My omega juicer is easy to clean too.

dmholmes

I'm rethinking the whole mostly (99%) paleo concept I tried before. Maybe that was unrealistic. It was stressful and I certainly enjoyed the toast.

To quote a recent tweet by Chris Kresser:
"It’s better to eat the wrong food w/ the right attitude than the right food w/ the wrong attitude."—Chinese proverb

My intro to Paleo was via the Perfect Health Diet, I think it is a very sustainable flavor of Paleo. Good choice for anyone not wanting to do strict Paleo.

This isn't quite Paleo or PHD, but to me the most important parts are:
  • minimal processing
  • no gluten grains
  • no unfermented soy or gluten-containing soy products
  • no vegetable oils
  • legumes only if soaked, no peanuts
  • full-fat dairy from healthy animals if tolerated
  • minimal added sugars

dmholmes

I should be the last person giving food prep tips, I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen. I enjoy it. I always say the hardest part about Paleo is doing the dishes :).

I think the low-hanging fruit would be buying pre-washed chopped vegetables, frozen vegetables, ground meats, canned seafood, etc...

Cherry over at Studio Snacks has some good tips for meal prep and a lot of good recipes.

I collect recipes here. Most have been modified for PHD if needed. My Instagram if you want to see some dishes.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Lol Sasha :)

Scroll to the bottom, the ingredients tab is next to the 'nutrition' tab which is open by default.

Btw, I'd love to know what's in your homemade salad dressing, and how long it can be kept in the fridge.

Oh! Thanks - didn't see the tab. It's got some things there that are off my diet, alas (I'm still on the more restricted version until I get stable enough to test foods for intolerances).

Nothing amazing (or particularly delicious!) about my salad dressing, I'm afraid - just one part balsamic vinegar to three parts olive oil. One of my ambitions is to come up with something better! But having it ready in a jar saves having to measure out and mix individual portions. Being just oil and vinegar, I just leave it out on the counter top forever (based on the possibly false idea that that's what I do with the ingredients separately!).