• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which SNP(s) relate to Histamine production?

Critterina

Sorry, I am only aware of the SNPs that relate to histamine metabolism. That's a whole different category you're asking about.

Critterina

Peyt,
There appear to be two sets of diamine oxidase (DAO) SNPs that relate to histamine breakdown in the gut. The first is
rs2070586 A
rs2111902 G
rs3741775 C

Where it appears that any of the risk factors has some effect that reduces enzyme activity. And it appears that it's enzyme activity more than enzyme quantity (transcription) that is important.

There's another article that says that the following DAO SNPs are important, but I haven't found the minor allele to figure out if I have the riskier or not:
rs2052129
rs2268999
rs10156191
rs1049742

The article is:
Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the diamine oxidase gene with diamine oxidase serum activities.
by Maintz L, Yu CF, Rodríguez E, Baurecht H, Bieber T, Illig T, Weidinger S, Novak N.

This is from the abstract:
BACKGROUND:
Histamine intolerance (HIT) is associated with an excess of histamine because of an impaired function of the histamine-degrading enzyme diamine oxidase (DAO). The genetic background of HIT is unknown yet.
METHODS:
Case-control association study of all haplotype tagging and four previously reported DAO SNPs and one HNMT Single nucleotide polymorphism with symptoms of HIT and DAO serum activity in 484 German individuals including 285 patients with clinical symptoms of HIT and 199 controls.
RESULTS:
Diamine oxidase serum activity was significantly associated with seven SNPs within the DAO gene. The minor allele at rs2052129, rs2268999, rs10156191 and rs1049742 increased the risk for a reduced DAO activity whereas showing a moderate protective effect at rs2071514, rs1049748 and rs2071517 in the genotypic (P = 2.1 × 10(-8) , 7.6 × 10(-10) , 8.3 × 10(-10) , 0.009, 0.005, 0.00001, 0.006, respectively) and allelic genetic model (P = 2.5 × 10(-11) , 5.4 × 10(-13) , 8.9 × 10(-13) , 0.00002, 0.006, 0.0003, 0.005, respectively). Reporter gene assays at rs2052129 revealed a lower promoter activity (P = 0.016) of the minor allele. DAO mRNA expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of homozygous carriers of the minor allele at rs2052129, rs2268999, rs10156191 was lower (P = 0.002) than homozygous carriers of the major allele. Diamine oxidase variants were not associated with the HIT phenotype per se, only with DAO activity alone and the subgroup of HIT patients displaying a reduced DAO activity.
CONCLUSIONS:
DAO gene variants strongly influence DAO expression and activity but alone are not sufficient to fully effectuate the potentially associated disease state of HIT, suggesting an interplay of genetic and environmental factors.

Critterina

The other half of histamine metabolism is done by the Histone methyltransferases (HMT) and Histamine N-methyltransferase (HNMT) in the cytosol. I dont' know much about it, but I found this link to a lot of different resources. https://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/3176.html
If you can find the text to reference 5 somewhere for free, I'd surely like to read it.

Peyt

Thank you so much,
You know the reason I am interested in Histamine is because prior to knowing anything about Genetic testings, I did a test under Dr. Walsh's protocol for undermethylation/overmethylation
Anyways, that test relies heavily on Histamine. For example my Histamine was very low, which I was surprised becaues I have allergies, but apparently food allergies are different from seasonal allergies when it comes to Histamine. Under his protocol, a person with low blood histamine is Overmethylated. And one with excess Histamine is undermethylated..... As I learned about genetic testing, I am learning that what he calls overmethylated is someone with COMT and CBS genes and one who he would call undermethylated is one with Active MTFHR genes. Since the supplements he gave me fixed a few things with almost no side effects, I am keen to somehow corrolate his idea about Histamine to my Genetic SNPs. I also noticed Yasko mentions Histamine on Ch 2 of his book, although I have not read it completely.

Anyways, I don't see DAO on neither my 23andme or Yasko test, where do you get this info from?
Thanks again,
Peyt

Critterina

Anyways, I don't see DAO on neither my 23andme or Yasko test, where do you get this info from?
If you go into 23andMe and browse raw data (in a pull-down menu under your name), you can paste in the rs numbers (on the right side) and it should find your results if there are any. I know they changed what they test between when I did it and my mother and brothers did it, so I don't know if you'll have it. You can also put "DAO" in the left side of the search bar and see all results for that gene.

Peyt

If you go into 23andMe and browse raw data (in a pull-down menu under your name), you can paste in the rs numbers (on the right side) and it should find your results if there are any. I know they changed what they test between when I did it and my mother and brothers did it, so I don't know if you'll have it. You can also put "DAO" in the left side of the search bar and see all results for that gene.

I tried all 7 SNPs but i have none! no wonder my blood histamine levels are low, the DAO is working too good! lol

But seriously, can anyone recommend some natural supplements to raise Histamine levels? I use Niacinemede which helps, but I was told by Dr. Mensah not to go over 1000mg per day, and I still get headaches.

Sea

I tried all 7 SNPs but i have none! no wonder my blood histamine levels are low, the DAO is working too good! lol

I know you're joking, but I can't quite tell whether you realise that if you can't find a snp in your results it means that it is not one that is tested by 23andme. It doesn't mean that you don't have it. None of those 7 snps are tested by 23andme, even in the older test with more snps.

Peyt

I know you're joking, but I can't quite tell whether you realise that if you can't find a snp in your results it means that it is not one that is tested by 23andme. It doesn't mean that you don't have it. None of those 7 snps are tested by 23andme, even in the older test with more snps.

Well at least 3 of the SNPs pulled up under my father's account.

Sea

Well at least 3 of the SNPs pulled up under my father's account.
The first 3 snps that Critterina listed are tested in the older version, I don't know whether they are tested in the new one.
None of the 7 snps listed from the research paper are tested.

If 23andme test a snp but cannot for some reason determine a result accurately you will still find the snp listed when you browse your raw data. It will have "no call" listed as the result instead of a letter.

Don't confuse that with the "no call" that you see on the Genetic Genie report though - they use no call for the snps that are no longer tested.

Sea

ok thanks .... I wonder if I run the raw data on Dr. Lynch's site I would get info for my mutations on these 7 SNPs.

No, because 23andme hasn't tested them, the information is not in the raw data. The raw data is the results of the 23andme test

Peyt

No, because 23andme hasn't tested them, the information is not in the raw data. The raw data is the results of the 23andme test

That's terrible.... Histamine is a key in methylation.... I don't understand why the SNPs does not get tested.

Anyways, I guess I have to just blindly try supplements to see if I can increase the Histamine.....
Has anyone tried L-Histidine? I am tempted to try it to see if it helps with my headaches and poor blood circulations,
These headaches are driving me crazy!

That's terrible.... Histamine is a key in methylation.... I don't understand why the SNPs does not get tested.
They are probably testing some SNPs on the gene being discussed, just not the exact ones which were tested in that study.

Sea

I don't know how they choose the snps to test for, but I know that new associations are being explored in research all the time. I am waiting impatiently for the time when whole genome sequencing is within reasonable price range. It won't be too far away.

Peyt

Thanks guys for your replies.
Well I have been reading up on what histamine does, and I found this:

• Cause blood vessels to dilate so that they leak fluids into surrounding tissues, causing swelling, and isolating the particles that triggered the allergy.
  • Trigger the release of stomach acid to digest allergy-causing particles in the throat and stomach.
  • Lock onto histamine receptors in the brain that reduce the release of epinephrine (also known as adrenalin) and serotonin.
  • Signal the immune system to send specialized white blood cells to release inflammatory chemicals that destroy the swollen tissues around the trapped allergy-causing particles.
This is amazing, because I constantly have headaches that go away when I take a blood vessel dilating supplement(such as Niacinmede) , I have low stomach acid and have to take HCI with food to increase stomach acid, and I have too High of epinephrine and Serotonin (Confirmed by COMT++ and MAO A) ... So the top 3 of the 4 written above are me.

I bought some Histadine, since its what gets converted to Histamine hoping it will increase it, but apparently its the other way around... when the levels of Histadine get high in the blood, it signals the histamine to get released slower from the cells..... so Perhaps Histadine will benefit people with High histamine! so I have found the answers for others but can't help myself! hahaha lol

Anyways, I have not open the bottle of L-Histadine yet, I think i will just return it. I don't want my histamine going even lower that what it is.

Critterina

Maybe that was why I didn't go looking for which was the minor allele - that I didn't have the data anyway. Or maybe I ran out of time. Too bad they don't test these three anymore.

heyitisjustin

Anyways, I guess I have to just blindly try supplements to see if I can increase the Histamine.....
Has anyone tried L-Histidine? I am tempted to try it to see if it helps with my headaches and poor blood circulations,
These headaches are driving me crazy!
I'd get histamine from foods. I'd think the easiest thing would be fermented foods like live sauerkraut. NAC and Curcumin will also help (as I imagine L-Histidine will). My histamine is too high so don't go overboard.

Gingergrrl

Cause blood vessels to dilate so that they leak fluids into surrounding tissues, causing swelling, and isolating the particles that triggered the allergy.

@Peyt @Sea @Critterina I think this is what is happening to me (it is called third spacing) and we tried to reach my doctor last night b/c I didn't know what to do. Am taking 6-7 things to lower histamine and Midodrine to constrict the blood vessels and it's the only med that helps me breathe.

I have done 23andMe and Genetic Genie but am a complete novice. Is there something to look for on Genetic Genie print out that would be helpful for my doctor?