• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best treatment for brain perfusion

Martial

What do others here suggest for things to use with brain perfusion? I realized a lot of my most debilitating symptoms have come from my brain inflammation, and hypo perfusion from infection. The strange thing is I have no other Orthostatic issues, my blood pressure and heart rate are always the same laying, sitting, or standing up. I had some abnormalities also show up in my frontal cortex from a regular MRI test. Sometimes it literally feels like I am having mini strokes as it can come on hard and sudden, then leave as fast as it came. Of course my other symptoms are an always constant as well though.

Martial

Ahh was trying to recall the name of Piracetam thanks! Already use resveratrol, Gingko Biloba, and different enzymes. When I get really bad flares and inflammatio though nothing seems to help unfortunately.

adreno

PR activist
Ahh was trying to recall the name of Piracetam thanks! Already use resveratrol, Gingko Biloba, and different enzymes. When I get really bad flares and inflammatio though nothing seems to help unfortunately.
Right, Gingko biloba, forgot that one (added to my post, thanks).

Pentoxifylline is also a potent TNF-alpha inhibitor so should help with inflammation. Seems quite effective in autoimmune syndromes.

Martial

Pentoxifylline is also a potent TNF-alpha inhibitor so should help with inflammation. Seems quite effective in autoimmune syndromes.

I am going to discuss that one with my doctor since it is a medication. Seems very effective too, just have to be careful for interactions and reactions with everything I take. No problem!

Ahmo I had already been using it but ran out quite some time ago, re ordered last week. Perhaps it will help quite a bit!

xchocoholic

Hi @Martial

I'm curious about your symptoms from hypoperfusion. I'm not sure what mini strokes are. Tias, petite mals, ?

For me, getting head rushes when I sit or lay down that completely resolve after an hour + explains my hypoperfusion best. Mine's from oi tho.

Btw. I found a study recently on celiac and hypoperfusion. The study said this resolved via the gf diet. I'm guessing they didn't look at oi.

Resveratrol helped me for a few weeks then stopped. Currently Modafinil is helping a little with clarity and relieving some of the head pressure.

If you have low blood sugar then Cvs dye free glucose might help. Mine drops all the time which stops my brain from functioning. And 1 or 2 of these help. Btw. Individual low blood sugar numbers and reactions vary. I feel best around 80.

Tc .. x

Martial

Hi @Martial

I'm curious about your symptoms from hypoperfusion. I'm not sure what mini strokes are. Tias, petite mals, ?

For me, getting head rushes when I sit or lay down that completely resolve after an hour + explains my hypoperfusion best. Mine's from oi tho.

Btw. I found a study recently on celiac and hypoperfusion. The study said this resolved via the gf diet. I'm guessing they didn't look at oi.

Resveratrol helped me for a few weeks then stopped. Currently Modafinil is helping a little with clarity and relieving some of the head pressure.

If you have low blood sugar then Cvs dye free glucose might help. Mine drops all the time which stops my brain from functioning. And 1 or 2 of these help. Btw. Individual low blood sugar numbers and reactions vary. I feel best around 80.

Tc .. x

Thanks xchocoholic! Well my symptoms usually consist of a stiff neck, then i get incredibly drowsy, speech slows down, my sense of awareness gets skewed and I get confused an disoriented, my body becomes increasingly slower along with movement. I get far more severe fatigue then I am used to which is still severe. Dizziness or vertigo, partial or full body weakness, though not every time, double vision and the like. I haven't touched anything with gluten or that has been cross contaminated with it in over six months. My blood glucose levels usually show normal but maybe worth testing during a future episode. I mean transient ischmetric attacks (TIA). I have similar symptoms that are typical of low blood to the brain throughout the day, it just feels at times I just also get random acute attacks. Unrelated to anything I eat or after, exertion or not, time of day, etc.. It just seems to come on completely randomly.

p.s. I have normal blood pressure ranges an good cholesterol, thinking there could be clotting issues in my neck, or hypercaugulation perhaps?

SDSue

Southeast
Thanks xchocoholic! Well my symptoms usually consist of a stiff neck, then i get incredibly drowsy, speech slows down, my sense of awareness gets skewed and I get confused an disoriented, my body becomes increasingly slower along with movement. I get far more severe fatigue then I am used to which is still severe. Dizziness or vertigo, partial or full body weakness, though not every time, double vision and the like. I haven't touched anything with gluten or that has been cross contaminated with it in over six months. My blood glucose levels usually show normal but maybe worth testing during a future episode. I mean transient ischmetric attacks (TIA). I have similar symptoms that are typical of low blood to the brain throughout the day, it just feels at times I just also get random acute attacks. Unrelated to anything I eat or after, exertion or not, time of day, etc.. It just seems to come on completely randomly.

p.s. I have normal blood pressure ranges an good cholesterol, thinking there could be clotting issues in my neck, or hypercaugulation perhaps?
This actually describes me very well, too. My neck is a great indicator of how I'm doing on a given day. In my pre-ME days, I always knew a fever was coming on because my neck felt the same way, which in those days meant a virus was on the move. Makes me wonder.

In addition to the above (which I've blamed on inflammation), I occasionally have very brief moments where my brain calms. It's as if the veil lifts for a few minutes, the roaring ceases, the pain stops, the lights come on, and I feel clear. If only I could figure out how to extend those times or what I've done to cause them.

I started NeuroProtek a few months ago. At first, I felt that it calmed the brain inflammation, but it seems to have worn off. I will discontinue it when I run out - then I'll know if it was still effective or not. Too expensive to continue if it's not doing much. Same with Resveratrol.

Like so many of us, my TNF-alpha is sky high, according to reliable ME doctor.

Do you have any idea what is the rationale for not doing a trial of inhibitors such as pentoxifylline or Enbrel? Without a concomitant known autoimmune disease, it seems these are off limits for us. Maybe I should complain more about the arthritis in my hands, even though it is very, very low on my list of concerns. ;)

xchocoholic

Hi @Martial

Do these episodes pass on their own within a specified amount of time ? It sounds like we're having similar episodes. Mine take from 20-60 minutes to resolve. I get really irritated if someone tries to make me talk but I can talk. I just don't have a filter. And make up words, use the wrong word or slur my words.

Also while bringing my glucose level up immediately with either oj or dextrose tablets and eating real food helps I still have to let it run it's course if I want to feel normal again. Otherwise I still feel these symptoms but to a lesser degree.

Mine was never officially dx as seizures or tias by a neurologist tho. I've seen at least 5 neurologists since 1990 and didn't find them helpful.

At this point, I only get the type episode you're describing every few weeks and thus far only if I had seriously pushing myself physically and eating gf processed foods that were probably cross contaminated and drinking coffee. BUT overdoing it doesn't always mean I'll get this. I'm thinking it's linked to taking chances with gluten cc. Eating out seems to nail me most of the time.

Fwiw, just in case, a small hopefully unwarranted warning .. I was having these daily for a few weeks right before having a 2 hour seizure that landed me in the ER. I carry .125 mg oral dissolving Klonopin with me now and take a 1/4-1 of one if I feel this coming on. It doesn't stop the episode but it calms me down while it's happening and I don't have to worry about having another 2 hour seizure. Kow.

Sorry for the book. Sorry I didn't have a better answer. Tc .. x

Ps. I never considered this hypoperfusion because I always get a head rush when I sit or lay down due to oi but rarely (kow) get this symptom.

Pps. My bp and hr are typically within "normal" range. And my blood glucose barely dips to low. A gtt + insulin found my hyperinsulinemia and a poor man's ttt showed oi.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Do you have any idea what is the rationale for not doing a trial of inhibitors such as pentoxifylline or Enbrel? Without a concomitant known autoimmune disease, it seems these are off limits for us. Maybe I should complain more about the arthritis in my hands, even though it is very, very low on my list of concerns. ;)
I think there has been a trial of TNF alpha inhibitors in ME /CFS, but I don't know the outcome.

Dufresne

almost there...
Ginkgo, garlic, and a blood thinner is a powerful combo. I've used these in the past and enjoyed seemingly great perfusion but can't do so anymore due to dizziness. Go slowly in the beginning or you'll give yourself a splitting headache.

I've also found dosing with baking soda, to alkalize the terrain, reduces inflammation and enhances the effect.

Martial

Hi @Martial

Do these episodes pass on their own within a specified amount of time ? It sounds like we're having similar episodes. Mine take from 20-60 minutes to resolve. I get really irritated if someone tries to make me talk but I can talk. I just don't have a filter. And make up words, use the wrong word or slur my words.

Also while bringing my glucose level up immediately with either oj or dextrose tablets and eating real food helps I still have to let it run it's course if I want to feel normal again. Otherwise I still feel these symptoms but to a lesser degree.

Mine was never officially dx as seizures or tias by a neurologist tho. I've seen at least 5 neurologists since 1990 and didn't find them helpful.

At this point, I only get the type episode you're describing every few weeks and thus far only if I had seriously pushing myself physically and eating gf processed foods that were probably cross contaminated and drinking coffee. BUT overdoing it doesn't always mean I'll get this. I'm thinking it's linked to taking chances with gluten cc. Eating out seems to nail me most of the time.

Fwiw, just in case, a small hopefully unwarranted warning .. I was having these daily for a few weeks right before having a 2 hour seizure that landed me in the ER. I carry .125 mg oral dissolving Klonopin with me now and take a 1/4-1 of one if I feel this coming on. It doesn't stop the episode but it calms me down while it's happening and I don't have to worry about having another 2 hour seizure. Kow.

Sorry for the book. Sorry I didn't have a better answer. Tc .. x

Ps. I never considered this hypoperfusion because I always get a head rush when I sit or lay down due to oi but rarely (kow) get this symptom.

Pps. My bp and hr are typically within "normal" range. And my blood glucose barely dips to low. A gtt + insulin found my hyperinsulinemia and a poor man's ttt showed oi.

It happens all on its own, but I recently found it timed with the treatments I was taking so could have been a herx reaction from the medication. I didn't do a darn thing to over exert myself during these times, also hand prepped all my own meals as I do not ever touch gluten and MSG. I am darn sure it was nothing with my diet. I am not worried about more severe things as this was a symptom of mine before that never got progressively worse, it just lowered in frequency until I started treating things hard again. I was on benzos for anxiety a long time ago before being ill, I can't take them anymore due to horrible reactions. I have found symptom relief by slowing down with my treatment again though so I will see if this works out for me. I think its just one of those weird and undesirable symptoms we have to deal with until we get better LOL.

Martial

Ginkgo, garlic, and a blood thinner is a powerful combo. I've used these in the past and enjoyed seemingly great perfusion but can't do so anymore due to dizziness. Go slowly in the beginning or you'll give yourself a splitting headache.

I've also found dosing with baking soda, to alkalize the terrain, reduces inflammation and enhances the effect.

Already on that stuff and explains the killer migraines I had on and off again LOL. Thanks man that info really helps a lot!

xchocoholic

It happens all on its own, but I recently found it timed with the treatments I was taking so could have been a herx reaction from the medication. I didn't do a darn thing to over exert myself during these times, also hand prepped all my own meals as I do not ever touch gluten and MSG. I am darn sure it was nothing with my diet. I am not worried about more severe things as this was a symptom of mine before that never got progressively worse, it just lowered in frequency until I started treating things hard again. I was on benzos for anxiety a long time ago before being ill, I can't take them anymore due to horrible reactions. I have found symptom relief by slowing down with my treatment again though so I will see if this works out for me. I think its just one of those weird and undesirable symptoms we have to deal with until we get better LOL.

That's great that you figured out where it's coming from. It seems a lot of us have adverse reactions to meds.

I get neuro problems from gluten so that's why I look for cross contamination.

My episodes weren't new but having them daily was. I had seen my dr for this earlier the day of my 2 hr seizure. So far this hasn't happened again so I don't know what triggered it.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad reaction to benzos. So far, kow, klonopin is helping my myoclonus every time.

Tc .. x

JalapenoLuv

If you're dealing with blood vessel inflammation I'd add vinpocetine and longvida curucmin, it is the only curc that gets into the brain. Other absorbable curcs are good too but for peripheral tissues (scalp).

Martial

If you're dealing with blood vessel inflammation I'd add vinpocetine and longvida curucmin, it is the only curc that gets into the brain. Other absorbable curcs are good too but for peripheral tissues (scalp).

Not sure if its vessel inflammation or something else but that is definitely helpful thanks! I notice the bulk of my worst symptoms happen with degrees of hypo perfusion and low blood flow to the brain, worsening upon treatment of infection from raised inflammation, and tendon and joint pains, along with some really absurd and strange neurological and other symptoms.

Thomas

Stimulants (but these are very dosage specific) can be helpful perfusion if you can handle the tachy and have the adrenals to handle it. It's far from a complete cure but I find a low dose combined with a low dose benzo (if needed) helpful if I need to be productive. But I only go to this combo a few times every few months.