• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dutch Q-Fever Victims Suing Government

Basically Q-Fever is one of the infections known to lead into ME/CFS for about 5-10% of those who catch it. So this might be including a good number of ME/CFS patients.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/09/q-fever_victims_sue_government.php :
They argue the government did not begin a mass vaccination programme of dairy goats until 2009, two years after the outbreak started, exposing them to the bacteria. Nor did the government properly inform the public about the risks, their lawyers say.

http://nos.nl/artikel/694434-patienten-qkoorts-dienen-claim-in.html has a little more data, albeit in Dutch. But here's a translation of the paragraph about "chronic fatigue":
Sindram's clients still have burdens from the Q-fever they sustained years ago. Some have chronic fatigue symptoms which will presumably never pass.
They're also accusing the government of prioritizing the profits of farmers over public health.

alex3619

Q fever is not uncommon in Australia, Indeed in most areas with cattle and some other livestock it can be found. It can spread even if a cattle truck or railroad train goes through the area, though close contact is a much higher risk, including with the dust and excreta in mud and dust.

Martial

There goes my dreams of ever living a life of solitude and goat herding.. JK but that sounds like a pretty serious long term infection. Good to know they are looking to make compensation so they can heal.

I should also point out that it's very rare for Dutch people to sue anyone, especially the government. Typically if someone is harmed, the government is supporting them anyhow via medical care and social support. But with the complete lack of real ME/CFS treatment in the Netherlands, that money is probably much more necessary to self-fund treatment outside of the country.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
They're also accusing the government of prioritizing the profits of farmers over public health.
Is the Q-Fever harmless to the animals? In this country, farmers are usually diligent about health care and disease prevention. I have more respect for veterinarians than physicians.

Martial

It results in more spontaneous abortions of their fetuses.

Interesting enough I read whos most at risk is the vets, farm workers and those that work close to the animals. Though I believe Alex might have mentioned this too. Apparently its very rare to get from eating dairy of the animals unless its raw. Makes my heart go out to the people that caught it and hopefully they can do what they can to treat now. Luckily Q Fever is treatable though later stages can take years to treat before it improves fully.

Interesting enough I read whos most at risk is the vets, farm workers and those that work close to the animals. Though I believe Alex might have mentioned this too. Apparently its very rare to get from eating dairy of the animals unless its raw. Makes my heart go out to the people that caught it and hopefully they can do what they can to treat now. Luckily Q Fever is treatable though later stages can take years to treat before it improves fully.
The bacteria can travel a very long way from the source of the infection, when the wind in cooperating, and is extremely pathogenic - one inhaled bacterium is enough to cause infection. Hence there were cases of people getting infected while riding their bicycles on the street that goes by a farm, or of neighbors, etc, being infected. And of course, a lot of farm workers.

Then I don't think leaving it uncontrolled was increasing the profits of the farmers, especially if the farmer became ill and unable to work.
A cull also meant killing off "healthy" goats who were producing a lot of milk. It wasn't just infected goats being killed - culling typically involves every susceptible animal at a farm. It was even extended to include vaccinated animals at the affected farms, due to incomplete protection from the vaccine. 51,820 animals were culled at 55 farms.

And in the Netherlands, the government is responsible for compensating people and businesses when government actions impact their livelihood. Hence widespread culling of animals meant a lot of expense for the government.

Also keep in mind that Q-fever was already known to be potentially fatal, and was indeed fatal for some during the Dutch outbreaks.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Then it sounds like they were prioritizing the saving of government money.

Many farmers would not willingly go along with mass killing of their animals even if they were financially compensated. Genetic lines that have taken decades to develop can be lost.