• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Molybdenum lower Ferritin levels?

dannybex

I've read that ferritin can be high(er) during inflammation and infection, but was wondering if it can also be high due to a molydenum deficiency?

I ask this because several studies, including this brief summary suggest that xanthine oxidase (which requires moly-b) "mediates the release of iron from cellular ferritin".

http://www.canaltlabs.com/copper_pdf70

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1062868/?page=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=dH...xanthine oxidase" molybdenum ferritin&f=false

@alex3619 @Hip and anyone else …I'd appreciate your feedback.

dannybex

Also, from a book entitled "The Complete Book of Minerals for Health" (from the early 1980's), it says:

"Molybdenum works as part of a special enzyme, xanshine oxidase, which performs two basic but very important tasks. First, the enzyme mobilizes iron from the liver where most body iron is stored. All the iron in the world does us no good if it remains locked away in the liver, shut off from the circulating bloodstream. Molybdenum-containing xanthine oxidase frees iron so that it can help blood carry life-sustaining oxygen to cells and tissues."

???

alex3619

@dannybex, I will have to investigate this before I can comment, and this coming week will see me very busy and probably end in a crash. I have already had to cancel my doc appt in anticipation of a crash. Too much stuff happening in the real world.

Hip

Don't know the answer off hand. What does this relate to?

Last edited:

Martial

Its a micro mineral that assists in cell production and the de tox pathways of the body. While a deficiency can cause a lot of symptoms you do not want to jump on very high doses of it too soon. Too much molybdenum is also linked to poor glucose tolerance.

BadBadBear

That's interesting, Danny. I have tried taking Moly and it makes me feel hyper - which is something that also happens when I take too much iron. My MD said Moly is calming for most people who take it.

I have to take iron because my ferretin gets low, but I have to take it in the morning or it bothers me (makes me hyper). I wonder if the Moly causes problems for me because it does mobilize iron?? HMMMMM.

dannybex

@dannybex, I will have to investigate this before I can comment, and this coming week will see me very busy and probably end in a crash. I have already had to cancel my doc appt in anticipation of a crash. Too much stuff happening in the real world.

I look forward to your reply when you can get to it Alex. Certainly don't want you to crash, and hope you don't!

dannybex

Well, my ferritin when last checked was about 184 -- mid-range I guess, but still kind of high considering I wasn't supplementing with iron at the time. So I'm wondering if it could be due to low molybdenum levels -- which are always rock bottom on various hair analysis results over the past 12 years. Iron is also low, but at least it registers.

There's also a manganese-ferritin see-saw, where ferritin is higher when manganese is lower and vice-versa. ???

dannybex

That's interesting, Danny. I have tried taking Moly and it makes me feel hyper - which is something that also happens when I take too much iron. My MD said Moly is calming for most people who take it.

I have to take iron because my ferretin gets low, but I have to take it in the morning or it bothers me (makes me hyper). I wonder if the Moly causes problems for me because it does mobilize iron?? HMMMMM.

That's interesting that iron makes you hyper. Maybe that could be due to the form of iron you're taking -- or how much you're taking? Also interesting re the moly-b connection as well. I've been taking moly-b off and on -- and no iron until very recently -- and getting more and more hyped up that I can barely function at times. SUPER "wired but tired".

BadBadBear

That's interesting that iron makes you hyper. Maybe that could be due to the form of iron you're taking -- or how much you're taking? Also interesting re the moly-b connection as well. I've been taking moly-b off and on -- and no iron until very recently -- and getting more and more hyped up that I can barely function at times. SUPER "wired but tired".

I dunno, I am taking only 50mg. Not a very high dose - my practioner did not want me to have inflammation problems with it. The iron doesn't bother me as much as it did the first month or two, the hyper reaction settled down - until I tried taking molybdenum. Then that hyper as you describe - for me it also brings a big rush of anxiety. As such, I have been afraid to try the molybdenum again. If it does make iron work better, it might be very useful for me if the hyper reaction will abate. I might try dividing up my moly capsules and see if there's a tolerable dose...

invisiblejungle

Thanks for posting this. My ferritin has been high for the past 7 years (usually around 300-400), and the several hair mineral tests I've done have all indiciated low molybdenum. Very interesting!

Well, my ferritin when last checked was about 184 -- mid-range I guess, but still kind of high considering I wasn't supplementing with iron at the time. So I'm wondering if it could be due to low molybdenum levels -- which are always rock bottom on various hair analysis results over the past 12 years. Iron is also low, but at least it registers.

There's also a manganese-ferritin see-saw, where ferritin is higher when manganese is lower and vice-versa. ???

Unless you're a vegetarian your ferritin level isn't really high. It may go up to 400 and between 100-200 is very normal for meat-eaters.

Are you using vitamin C? That might enhance non-haem iron uptake, too.

dannybex

Thanks Bryce. I was taking higher doses of "C", but have backed off, as I think I'm dealing with an oxalate issue. Don't know for sure, but had an OAT test done over a year ago, which came back with abnormal results, but couldn't afford to follow up on it, and forgot about it until recently when I changed my diet and the pain in my feet got worse. I realized I've been eating very high oxalate foods….argh.