• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antidiuretic meds and testing

Andrew

I'm wondering if any of you have success with antidiuretic treatment or antidiuretic testing.

The book Reviving the Broken Marionette reports that Dr. Goldstein used ocytocin via intramuscular dose of 5-10 units per day in 1 to 2 doses. According to Goldstein it helps some patients. Lapp also reports positive results (but I don't know his dose). Also desmopressin (a synthetic form of vasopressin) is also an antidiuretic.

I also read about a test for low vasopressin which is the anti-diuretic hormone the body produces. Have any of you been tested?

Last edited:

xks201

Did he claim that the oxytocin reversed fatigue completely in some people?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I'm wondering if any of you have success with antidiuretic treatment or antidiuretic testing.

The book Reviving the Broken Marionette reports that Dr. Goldstein used ocytocin via intramuscular dose of 5-10 units per day in 1 to 2 doses. According to Goldstein it helps some patients. Lapp also reports positive results (but I don't know his dose). Also desmopressin (a synthetic form of vasopressin) is also an antidiuretic.

I also read about a test for low vasopressin which is the anti-diuretic hormone the body produces. Have any of you been tested?

Re testing: it may be different in the US, but endocrinologists in the UK appear to know little or nothing about problems with (deficiency in) antidiuretic hormone vasopressin.

The only testing I got was first to get me to keep fluid charts (which they subsequently ignored), supply several urine samples, and occasionally blood samples to use with them, and they lost at least one of these so I had to go back and provide more.

Then I had a half-day outpatient fluid restriction test which was done in an extremely amataeurish, inept and sloppy way. This did not show that I couldn't concentrate urine, and when I pointed out that the enforced mobility was causing fluid to accumulate around my waist and lower abdomen to such an extent that my clothes became so tight I developed a backache, they just dismissed my observation that could have explained their result.

Some people here (in the US?) have had their ADH tested and found to be very low. But my doctor refused to test for this. :bang-head:

So, good luck!

But I eventually got a prescription for desmopressin, and wouldn't be without it, as I get polyuria most of the time otherwise, making life extremely difficult and unpleasant.

You can also buy it online.

I have had no obvious effect on my (other) ME symptoms, but if you have polyuria it will be causing dehydration, so correcting that must be a good idea.