• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotics

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Daffodil
you've had xifaxan before haven't you, its just a gut antibiotic. but works very well. Wonder what giving you the diarrhea ? have you had another stool test?

Daffodil

hi maryb. the antibiotics were causing the diarrhea. probiotics just made it worse.

I am hoping that things will return to normal down there in time...maybe my gut is still recovering from 1 year of antibiotic use.

I have tried xifaxan before (good memory!). it was a generic brand from india I think...this time, I can get the name brand.

when I tried it before at a lower dose (cannot remember exact dose), nothing happened until 10 days after I stopped the drug. then, I had a week of near-recovery! when I tried it later at a higher dose, I just got really sick.

when I told this to KDM, he smiled and said that dosing was important.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Daffodil
You tried ARVs and AVs as well before going to see KdM didn't you. Did you have more testing with him? Have you been diagnosed with Lyme? I'm interested as for the past few years I thought my symptoms were viral related, which many were (high CMV and EBV titres) but now it seems that a bacterial infection, possibly Lyme may have been driving these.

Daffodil

lol dang your memory is like mine used to be ages ago

I did indeed try all that stuff and yes I had more testing with KDM...and yes, he did diagnose me with borrelia and probable bartonella.

I just don't know what came first....lyme or immune problems...but it appears that bacteria somewhere is doing something...

and let me tell you, my entre 20 yrs of illness, I never would have guessed that bacteria could have something to do with it. I would have probably yelled and sworn at anyone who suggested such a thing lol

Daffodil

hi all. just wanted to say that after stopping antibiotics, my night sweats are incredible. they actually stopped during the antibiotics. now its every night..waking up soaked.

my doctor said this is leaky gut related, but I did a year of antibiotics...shouldn't that have given me some permanent improvement at all?

seems so improbable to me that I will ever get better. nothing seems to work any longer than the time I am on it.

Aileen

I'm so sorry Daffodil! :hug::hug: I wish I had something to suggest. It sure seems like your body is trying to incinerate something. I suppose you've probably tried all the immune modulating things.

Just a thought. I know you said probiotics made things worse so you don't want any of those right now. But, what about taking a prebiotic? Some people are reporting what seems like immune modulating results with Larch Arabinogalactan. Have you tried that one?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think for many of us treatment is going to be ongoing or cyclic. we just dont have an immune system to keep many of these infections down, unfortunately??

Daffodil

thanks guys. just so depressed right now. I met 2 rappers on the bus home from buffalo. they were going to perform at the north by northeast musical festival here. it all just came back...the feeling that I lost my entire life. I don't know why. just happy people living their lives, doing what they enjoyed. they had toured in japan and had taken pics and made movies and videos. I just felt so....I cannot even describe it. so deeply sad. and seeing no end. they invited me to watch them perform but I know I will be too sick. I feel like I am in a small cage and screaming but no one can hear me

knackers323

I
thanks guys. just so depressed right now. I met 2 rappers on the bus home from buffalo. they were going to perform at the north by northeast musical festival here. it all just came back...the feeling that I lost my entire life. I don't know why. just happy people living their lives, doing what they enjoyed. they had toured in japan and had taken pics and made movies and videos. I just felt so....I cannot even describe it. so deeply sad. and seeing no end. they invited me to watch them perform but I know I will be too sick. I feel like I am in a small cage and screaming but no one can hear me

I know just how you feel. Have felt this way for 18+ years

Charles555nc

Clindamyacin worked the best for me when I was first diagnosed with lyme...years later it stopped working and so did I, low fat diets seem to help my side effects when taking drugs. Clariothryomyacin gave me crying fits, and I would NEVER take septra or levaquin again for any amount of money, sulfa antibiotics and quinolones can damage you for life and even over very few doses.

I have said this too much already but, maybe most people's mitochondria dysfunction is a deficiency of molybdenum, and molybdenum can detox the immune suppressing yeast chemicals...I am starting to feel a bit like my old self since I started taking 5-6 pills of Molybdenum, 600mg selenium on empty stomach, and 20,000 vitamin D ius, today. Went to the mall today without any vague feelings of fear and my voice is getting deeper for some reason...

I was trying to remember what roundup is called in the drinking water, and remembered its called glyphosate...I was happy that I remembered it so quickly, word recall can be a big problem for me usually.

my plan is to get my body in the best shape as possible, and hope I can get vancomyacin from Dr Jemsek and knock the lyme/bartonella/mycoplasma out completely.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Clindamyacin worked the best for me when I was first diagnosed with lyme...years later it stopped working and so did I, low fat diets seem to help my side effects when taking drugs. Clariothryomyacin gave me crying fits, and I would NEVER take septra or levaquin again for any amount of money, sulfa antibiotics and quinolones can damage you for life and even over very few doses.

I have said this too much already but, maybe most people's mitochondria dysfunction is a deficiency of molybdenum, and molybdenum can detox the immune suppressing yeast chemicals...I am starting to feel a bit like my old self since I started taking 5-6 pills of Molybdenum, 600mg selenium on empty stomach, and 20,000 vitamin D ius, today. Went to the mall today without any vague feelings of fear and my voice is getting deeper for some reason...

I was trying to remember what roundup is called in the drinking water, and remembered its called glyphosate...I was happy that I remembered it so quickly, word recall can be a big problem for me usually.

my plan is to get my body in the best shape as possible, and hope I can get vancomyacin from Dr Jemsek and knock the lyme/bartonella/mycoplasma out completely.

What issues did u have with septra? it is the same as bactrim??

Charles555nc

I totally forgot the most important drug besides clindamyacin, tindamax is something Im still on (for years) and keeps me away from the "life is miserable" level of symptoms, 3 pills two days out of the week to blow up lyme cysts, and I believe its also anti parasitic.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It was a Sulfa drug that got me past an antibiotic rebound infection. It had take two 10-day courses of the antibiotic to get me over the respiratory infection. The doctor did not want to do more antibiotics and neither did I, since the same thing might happen.

When I got to work the next morning and said I was on a Sulfa and had already taken the first dose, the office manager had a fit. She said I should have waited until I got to work to take the first dose because of the reactions that Sulfas can cause. I was a little pissed the doctor had not told me that. Fortunately I did not have any problem (other than developing an intractable candida infection).

Daffodil

I totally forgot the most important drug besides clindamyacin, tindamax is something Im still on (for years) and keeps me away from the "life is miserable" level of symptoms, 3 pills two days out of the week to blow up lyme cysts, and I believe its also anti parasitic.
hi charles. thanks for the info. i googled tindamax and it looks like a lot of people are scared of taking it....carcinogenic affects? or something... anyway i will read about it some more. at the moment, i am limited to what my doctor tells me to take in the abx department...but i am glad you have found things to help. I have ordered a large tub of L-glutamine!
xoxox

Charles555nc

hi charles. thanks for the info. i googled tindamax and it looks like a lot of people are scared of taking it....carcinogenic affects? or something... anyway i will read about it some more. at the moment, i am limited to what my doctor tells me to take in the abx department...but i am glad you have found things to help. I have ordered a large tub of L-glutamine!
xoxox

500mg glutamine every two weeks is what i recemmend- just to prevent deficiency, and thats a tiny dose....and tindamax has no side effects for me, other than some herxing. Ive never heard of a cancer connection, and if there was, it was worth it for me to take it.- it did that much for me.

I also take methylation supplements and selenium etc etc which have strong cancer protective effects.

Daffodil

500mg glutamine every two weeks is what i recemmend- just to prevent deficiency, and thats a tiny dose....and tindamax has no side effects for me, other than some herxing. Ive never heard of a cancer connection, and if there was, it was worth it for me to take it.- it did that much for me.

I also take methylation supplements and selenium etc etc which have strong cancer protective effects.
wow it helped that much eh. interesting.

i heard glutamine should be taken 5 - 8 grams for leaky gut?

Butydoc

sulfa drugs like bactrim and septra, ruin lives. I had an autoimmune/cns reaction, to septra, that damaged me permanently.
Hi Charles555nc,

What was your autoimmune reaction to septra? I have use bactrim and Septra as a first line drug for treatment of mrsa with few negative reactions. All drug I have used have side effects. The trick is to choose the most effective drug with the least side effects for the specific problem that your treating.

Best,
Gary