• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phantom Smells

acrosstheveil

I raised my methylfolate dosage yesterday and now I seem to be smelling this musty smell in my room. It has never smelled bad before and no one else smells it. I do not have a mold issue but was exposed to mold about 8 months ago. Anyone else get phantom smells from methylation? Could this be detox?

Martial

I raised my methylfolate dosage yesterday and now I seem to be smelling this musty smell in my room. It has never smelled bad before and no one else smells it. I do not have a mold issue but was exposed to mold about 8 months ago. Anyone else get phantom smells from methylation? Could this be detox?

I had similar things happen but it was actually my sinuses that were causing it, it left a weird smell at times I could have sworn was somewhere in a room but was actually in my sinus canals which the methyl folate seemed to trigger. I think it was raised inflammation from de tox that just made me more hyper acute of the fungus type stuff that was in there.

alex3619

Weird smells can have multiple triggers. It could be neurological, or it could be that you have become more sensitive than normal. We desensitize to common smells and no longer smell them. If they are new to you it may take time to desensitize.

Critterina

I just read a book where the author and people she reports on experience familiar smells associated with deceased persons who are visiting them. Thought it was curious that the person who started this thread was @acrosstheveil ! :)

acrosstheveil

interesting. I haven't had any relatives die lately so I don't think that is the cause. I think it may be mast cell related.