• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin and HPA Axis Dysfunction

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've been taking curcumin for years--mainly for the blood thinner (I have hypercoag) and anti-inflammatory properties. Now that we know that anti-inflammatories are recommended for the XMRV positive, that is another reason to take it.

But, I've never really been able to figure out how much to take!:ashamed: I've been taking 2 capsules of the Jarrow Curcumin 95--twice a day. What are others taking?

The deal about slowing down phase 1 detox kinda worries me though as I tested slow on phase one on the Genova test. I was taking high doses of quercetin at the time though (also slows phase 1) and I hoped that was the reason. I have dropped the quercetin and continue with the curcumin.

How about others?

Sushi

Hysterical Woman

Hi Sushi,

Thanks for bringing up the issue of how much to take. I am interested in this too. I am hoping that someone who has CFS and supplementing with this will talk more about their dose/experiences.

In the meantime, FWIW, this is info from my "Herbal Remedies" book:

Curcumin - Turmeric/Curcuma longa

Source: A member of the ginger family and a native Indian spice, ginger has been revered as a panacea in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for several millennia.

Standardization: 95% curcuminoids or 97% curcumin

Dosage: Capsules: 250-600 mg, 3 times daily. Tincture: 1 tsp, 3 times daily. Turmeric powder: 8-60 g. 3 times daily.

Safety: Not for children. Older children and the elderly should begin with small doses. May cause heartburn or stomach upset in large doses. Do not use with anti-coagulants, in clotting disorders, gallbladder problems or immediately before surgery. Do not use if pregnant or trying to conceive, as one animal study showed decreased fertility.

Take care,

HW

Hysterical Woman

Post from another list re: Dr. Cheney Suggests Curcumin May Influence XMRV

The introduction to an article in Dr. Paul Cheney’s December Research Newsletter says “The many potential benefits of the curcuminoid polyphenols present in turmeric and curry powders are discussed, including the observation that curcumin is an NF Kappa B inhibitor and P450 inhibitor. Both these therapeutic aspects of curcumin are of potential use in CFS including the importance of NF Kappa B influence on XMRV.”

Has this been posted somewhere else? Couldn't remember.

HW

SaraM

Enhansa and Life Extension brands are used for autism. I will probably give Life Extension a go later to see if it helps with inflammation and pain.

froufox

I've just started taking Turmeric Force by New Chapter. There are lots of turmeric & curcumin supps on iherb. Although it is not as high in curcuminoids as a straight curcumin supplement it definitely seems to be absorbable as I can feel it getting into my brain and having an anti-depressant effect. When I started taking it yesterday I felt like I had taken a happy pill !! :Retro smile: It did feel a bit artificial though but at least it shows that it is doing something. I also noticed that my concentration was significantly better too and I was able to read and follow conversations better both of which I really do struggle with a lot.

It took a few hours to have that effect but I was still surprised that one capsule worked so well given that it has a much lower level of curcuminoids than the straight curcumin supplements. However today I'm feeling pretty rubbish and a bit toxic so I'm wondering if it has caused a dumping of toxins via its actions on the liver & bile, though it could just be coincidence. My mood is still ok though.

I've also ordered the Thorne one Meriva-SR that Frickly mentioned so it will be interesting to compare it to the turmeric force. You can get the Thorne one from iherb too.

Here is a really good blog by a woman who has collected quite a lot of scientific evidence on curcumin if you look down the right hand column you'll find various curcumin related topics with lots of references. She has multiple myeloma and she built up to 8 grms of curcumin a day. Here is the section where she discusses bioavailabilty its quite interesting to read..

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-with-myeloma/discovery-of-curcumin/bioavailability-of-curcumin/

Summer

I've been taking curcumin for years--mainly for the blood thinner (I have hypercoag) and anti-inflammatory properties. Now that we know that anti-inflammatories are recommended for the XMRV positive, that is another reason to take it.

But, I've never really been able to figure out how much to take!:ashamed: I've been taking 2 capsules of the Jarrow Curcumin 95--twice a day. What are others taking?

The deal about slowing down phase 1 detox kinda worries me though as I tested slow on phase one on the Genova test. I was taking high doses of quercetin at the time though (also slows phase 1) and I hoped that was the reason. I have dropped the quercetin and continue with the curcumin.

How about others?

Sushi

Hi Sushi,

I too have took curcuimin, in the form of Boswellin from NOW foods,for many years, and it helps with inflammation and globally. It's subtle, but I don't do nearly as well if I leave it off. I take 2 caps/3x daily and I am a sensitive person, but I do well with this supplement and dosage.

Summer

Hysterical Woman

I've just started taking Turmeric Force by New Chapter. There are lots of turmeric & curcumin supps on iherb. Although it is not as high in curcuminoids as a straight curcumin supplement it definitely seems to be absorbable as I can feel it getting into my brain and having an anti-depressant effect. When I started taking it yesterday I felt like I had taken a happy pill !! :Retro smile: It did feel a bit artificial though but at least it shows that it is doing something. I also noticed that my concentration was significantly better too and I was able to read and follow conversations better both of which I really do struggle with a lot.

Hi frou,

Thanks for posting your experiences with the Tumeric Force. The New Chapter brand is one recommended by an herbalist who works at a local health food store in my town (she is also an R.N.). That is brand that I would like to try, just don't want to start too many new things at once.

It took a few hours to have that effect but I was still surprised that one capsule worked so well given that it has a much lower level of curcuminoids than the straight curcumin supplements. However today I'm feeling pretty rubbish and a bit toxic so I'm wondering if it has caused a dumping of toxins via its actions on the liver & bile, though it could just be coincidence. My mood is still ok though.

Sorry that you are feeling toxic, maybe it would be better to try 1/2 capsule? Don't forget that turmeric works as a Phase I inhibitor - could that be playing a role?

I've also ordered the Thorne one Meriva-SR that Frickly mentioned so it will be interesting to compare it to the turmeric force. You can get the Thorne one from iherb too.

Here is a really good blog by a woman who has collected quite a lot of scientific evidence on curcumin if you look down the right hand column you'll find various curcumin related topics with lots of references. She has multiple myeloma and she built up to 8 grms of curcumin a day. Here is the section where she discusses bioavailabilty its quite interesting to read..

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-with-myeloma/discovery-of-curcumin/bioavailability-of-curcumin/

Thanks frou for your willingness in making yourself a guinea pig :Retro smile: and trying the different brands. Please let us know how you make out with it. Also, thanks for the link about curcumin. I am stunned at the amount of information there.

Take care,

HW

froufox

Hi Maxine,

Thanks I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon thankfully, in fact quite a bit better. Thats good to know that the herbalist recommends that one too - I bought that particular one as it has the most positive reviews on iherb so thought it must be a good one!

I wondered that too about it inhibiting it phase 1 and but over the years I've always suspected that I am more of a fast phase 1/ slow phase 2 person as I seem to fit that profile more eg I do really really badly with things like paint fumes and have MCS generally which fits in with the fast 1/slow 2 profile. But then again I wouldnt be surprised if I was slow in both!! I don't know for sure as I've never had a proper liver detox profile done, I always meant to but never gotten around to it.

I can't take half a capsule as its encapsulated with olive oil which makes it a bit tricky to split plus I'd end up losing wasting half a capsule. Anyway I suspect that the rough feeling rough this morning might be to do with something else but I'm sure in a few days I will be able to evaluate the turmeric supp a bit better and see if there is a consistent pattern to how I feel whilst on it.

Anyway will keep you updated!

Thanks! :Retro smile:

Hysterical Woman

Hi Maxine,

SNIP

I can't take half a capsule as its encapsulated with olive oil which makes it a bit tricky to split plus I'd end up losing wasting half a capsule. Anyway I suspect that the rough feeling rough this morning might be to do with something else but I'm sure in a few days I will be able to evaluate the turmeric supp a bit better and see if there is a consistent pattern to how I feel whilst on it.

Anyway will keep you updated!

Thanks! :Retro smile:

Hi Frou,

Yes, I can see why it would be difficult to take 1/2 cap. Maybe your response was due to something else.

Yes, please keep us updated.

Take care,

HW

froufox

IntuneJune

My husband and I have greatly increased our intake of curcumin in cooking. My diet is so dull and now am trying to explore other tastes. I have learned tumeric with its curcumin benefits in many ways..... cumin which also is beneficial, although sounding similar is very different, it is from the parsely family.

I have changed my "diet" again, trying to only eat hormone-free, antibiotic-free meats, eggs from a local farm where I watch the chickens roaming around, and thinking of food as medicine, growing my own herbs and using them every day.

It might be a placebo effect, but growing my own herbs, cutting them every morning and using them in my meals, starting with breakfast, eating organic meat seems to have eased some of my symptoms.

One of my basil plants is my picture to the left.

June

natasa778

Sorry coming to this thread late so not sure if this has been mentioned already, seemingly a problem with curcumin is low absorption but now Enhansa by Lee Silsby claims to be ++ better absorbed than standard curcumin supplement... don't know if true, in any case enhansa has been getting lots of very good feedback in autism community so just thought I'd mention

froufox

Hi June, thanks for sharing, and glad to hear that you feel better since changing your diet and eating more home grown herbs. And that looks like a lovely plant you have there...I LOVE basil! Yes herbs & spices are fantastic arent they, not only do they add wonderful flavours to meals but so many have quite potent therapeutic properties eg anti-viral/bacterial, and are antioxidants too. I love cumin too and eat it a lot and I'm hooked on a cajun spice mix at the moment which has oregano, paprika, chilli, pepper and garlic in it, its really tasty and it definitely helps my gut too.

Thank you Natasa for posting that info about the Enhansa supplement, thats interesting I have never heard of that one but just a quick google and it does look like people are getting good results as you say. I think I will consider trying it to see how it compares to the ones I've been taking. Here are some testimonials..

http://www.leesilsby.com/enhansatest.php

froufox

Thanks Natasa, yes I'm in the UK and its good to know that you can get it from mandimart, Ive ordered stuff from there before. There is a quite a big price difference between the Enhansa brand and other brands so it will be interesting to see how they compare and if Enhansa is significantly more effective. I'd like to know which other brands Enhansa was compared with when they say that it is 7-8 times more absorbable and would like to see the actual study as it is not on the Enhansa site. So on the surface it looks like a marketing ploy, but it does seem like some people are getting quite impressive results with it tho so it sounds promising.

Cheers.

IntuneJune

I cannot get to my reference materials easily, I am recovering from bunion surgery. Recuperation is going slow, hobbling around on crutches difficult. Somewhere I have a blurb that eating curcumin and _______ increases the absorption of the curcumin.

Anyone know?

June

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
I cannot get to my reference materials easily, I am recovering from bunion surgery. Recuperation is going slow, hobbling around on crutches difficult. Somewhere I have a blurb that eating curcumin and _______ increases the absorption of the curcumin.

Anyone know?

June

Presumably you mean Bioperine, as in black pepper?

IntuneJune

Presumably you mean Bioperine, as in black pepper?

Thanks Garcia, right now that is not ringing any bells but you KNOW how that goes.

If I could have ONE function back, what would it be? Fibrofog not only drives me nuts, but is costly in time and energy. Sometimes I wonder if that would be the ONE thing. Naw, get rid of the pain, well maybe the exhaustion. Hmmm then I would be all fired up but would not remember where to go.

We are having light snow here in New England this morning.

June

liverock

I break open the curcumin capsule and pour the curcurmin and bioperene into a dessert spoon with virgin olive oil and mix it all together.

Dr Russell Blaylock recommends this as the best way to get the maximum absorption of curcumin.