• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"An exploration of the Impact of CFS & Implications for Psychological Service Provision" (2008)

Tom Kindlon

This is open access.

I just read this paper, after two people had highly recommended it (back in 2008!).

Anyway, I'd recommend it also for those who are interested in understanding why living with ME/CFS can be so challenging, both before and after diagnosis.

They interviewed 17 people and sympathetically reported on what they reported.

Unfortunately, it will likely be too long for many people.

Don't judge it by the abstract.

http://sensoria.swinburne.edu.au/index.php/sensoria/article/view/4
An exploration of the Impact of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Implications for Psychological Service Provision

Katie Thomas, Bailey Bosch

ABSTRACT

Modern medical systems are changing to integrate a wider range of health professionals who can work together to manage total patient care.

Health care is becoming increasingly based on the biopsychosocial model and incorporating greater focus on the psychological as well as the physical health of the patient.

These changes in health care systems mean a larger role for psychologists and counsellors in the provision of holistic patient care.

In the past, patients suffering from chronic illness received mostly biomedical interventions in their treatment programs.

Increasingly however, patients with chronic illnesses who present to the medical community are referred for counselling and psychological treatment.

This study focused on one chronic illness: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

The study examined the psychological and physical impact of CFS on sufferers and on identifying which aspects of the illness impact most on patient’s coping mechanisms.

Seventeen participants were recruited in a randomised recruitment procedure and given a semi-structured interview that focused on key events, significant illness effects and their impact.

The results demonstrated that there are particular aspects of CFS illness that can undermine and overwhelm patients’ normal coping strategies and support systems.

The implications for the provision of psychological services for CFS patients are discussed.

KEYWORDS

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; CFS; psychology
FULL TEXT:
PDF

DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7790/ejap.v1i1.6

It looked very good from the psychological perspective. Basically it's completely contrary to the psychosomatic CBT/GET approach, though uncritical in accepting that CBT and GET are effective.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just reading it - very interesting. I agree, uncritical of CBT/GET and the effectiveness of pschological therapy but otherwise insightful and sympathetic.

A.B.

I'm still of the opinion that the main source of psychological distress in CFS and similar illnesses is psychology itself.

No psychological explanations => no patient abuse or disbelief by "professionals", friends and family.

Last edited:

alex3619

I'm still of the opinion that the main source of psychological distress in CFS and similar illnesses is psychology itself.

No psychological explanations => no patient abuse or disbelief by "professionals", friends and family.

;) How does that explain the Spanish Inquisition? Unknown disease => demonic possession or witchcraft => arrest and force confession. These kinds of reasoning are ancient. They are steeped in popular culture. The psych docs have institutionalized it though, so rather than abuse from ignorant peasants we get abuse from the new generation of Spanish Inquisitors.