• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sugar-free MethylB12 tablets?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I tried 1/4 of a Enzymatic B12 infusion sublingual this AM and felt some kind of pleasant buzz - I hope this indicates a deficiency that can be corrected with Active B12.

I have read Enzymatic Infusion is recommended for absorption - but it contains sugar... the worst and most toxic kind of sugar (fructose). Not very kosher for a sublingual.

What are the "second best" sugar-free sublingual MethylB12 options?

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I want 1000mg sublingual tablets to start.

Thank you for this sugar-free recommendation @deleder2k. However, I heard reviews on here and elsewhere that Jarrow Methyl b12 is not as good as it used to be. Have you taken it recently with good effects?

I tried 1/4 tablet of the sugar-based Enzymatic Therapy B12 infusion and got a small response this morning... so I believe it's good... but surely it can't be the only product on the market that works. I am wondering which are considered "4 star" or "second best."

Last edited:

Freddd

I tried 1/4 of a Enzymatic B12 infusion sublingual this AM and felt some kind of pleasant buzz - I hope this indicates a deficiency that can be corrected with Active B12.

I have read Enzymatic Infusion is recommended for absorption - but it contains sugar... the worst and most toxic kind of sugar (fructose). Not very kosher for a sublingual.

What are the "second best" sugar-free sublingual MethylB12 options?

My suggestion is that you get things going and balanced on the ENZY then order perhaps 10 different brands. Do a week on a brand or until your symptoms start worsening. Then switch back to the ENZY, get it going to the same standard as before for a week, then try another brand. Repeat the cycle always starting from your known position. You might end up with 1 or two others after trying all ten. Then repeat the cycles but 2 weeks long. Keep increasing the length of the trial. If it works and continues healing, including the CNS especially for 3 months you have a winner. You might have to go through several groups of 10 until you hopefully find a suitable one or more. You will also find that it isn't the difference between a 1mg and a 5mg that makes a difference. The difference amount makes is how deep it penetrates and for some of us, if it can get into the cerebral spinal fluid in large enough quantity. It is a qualitative aspect of the MeCbl itself.

The Country Life 5mg passed the week test for me but I just couldn't get enough into my CSF to hold equilibrium. I know it didn't absorb well enough. It might be good enough. I couldn't make the trial work and I monitor it by urine colorimetry. When I went back to injections, I had startup all over again in the CNS and had a number of increasing SACD and mood changes.

None of the tablets are labeled sub lingual since that is against FDA rules. Various brands were forced to change their labeling.

Victronix

Country Life does not appear to list a 5mg B-12 on their website -

http://www.country-life.com/category/b-vitamins

I'm starting to have receding gums and am considering moving from the current Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion, although I don't know for certain that it is the cause. If Enzy had a 5mg version I would try that but I'm not seeing such a product.

So at this point it looks like I will need to move back to Jarrow and try the 5mg to limit the number of tablets my gums are exposed to. Xylitol at least is better than fructose for gums, I assume.

Country Life does not appear to list a 5mg B-12 on their website -

http://www.country-life.com/category/b-vitamins

I'm starting to have receding gums and am considering moving from the current Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion, although I don't know for certain that it is the cause. If Enzy had a 5mg version I would try that but I'm not seeing such a product.

So at this point it looks like I will need to move back to Jarrow and try the 5mg to limit the number of tablets my gums are exposed to. Xylitol at least is better than fructose for gums, I assume.

You can get the Country Life 5mg B-12 on iherb:

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-G...en-US&w=country life b12&rc=1457&sr=null&ic=4

Victronix

Thanks, but if it's not on their main website, I'm wondering if they are planning on discontinuing it. I guess I'll send off an email.

Bansaw

Does anyone know of a brand of B12 sublingual that doesn't harm teeth in any way?
(I've heard some stories of people who have used sublingual b12 for while and suffered tooth decay. )

PeterPositive

In other threads, a couple people have recommended the Solgar B12 nuggets as a "4 star" or effective brand.
That's interesting. I wouldn't have expected that because they dissolve under the tongue in record time. They are very convenient for that reason but at the same time if the duration of contact with the mouth's mucosa is critical for absorption I don't know how well they could really work.

I used to take the 1mg version, then switched to slower dissolving brands and found better results. I suppose part of this is subjective.

These days I need higher doses of methyl-B12 so I am looking for a good 5mg brand because I don't want to keep sucking "candies" all the day and damaging my teeth.

That's interesting. I wouldn't have expected that because they dissolve under the tongue in record time. They are very convenient for that reason but at the same time if the duration of contact with the mouth's mucosa is critical for absorption I don't know how well they could really work.
Some people dissolve them more slowly under the gums. No methylB12 is going to be absorbed there, but I suppose it trickles down to the sublingual area or straight to the GI tract.

Victronix

Okay, Country Life got back to me and they are not discontinuing the 5mg version, just that I couldn't find it with a search on their site --

http://countrylifevitamins.com/store/methyl-b-12-5000mg

xylitol, cellulose, dextrin, L-leucine, natural flavors, silica

Jarrow 5 mg methyl B12 has --

xylitol, cellulose, stearic acid (vegetable source), natural flavor, citric acid and magnesium stearate (vegetable source).

Which is better? I'm not sure I want to be taking a single amino acid (l-leucine) along with my B-12 every day when it has mixed effects, according to wikipedia.

Last edited:

xylitol, cellulose, stearic acid (vegetable source), natural flavor, citric acid and magnesium stearate (vegetable source).

Which is better? I'm not sure I want to be taking a single amino acid (l-leucine) along with my B-12 every day when it has mixed effects, according to wikipedia.[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------
What did you go for in the end and how did it work out? Im trying choose a sugar and acid free option (pref that starts at 1mg) that is effective. I'm leaning towards country life 5mg and breaking it up into quarters.

Bansaw

Which is better? I'm not sure I want to be taking a single amino acid (l-leucine) along with my B-12 every day when it has mixed effects, according to wikipedia.

--------------------------------------
What did you go for in the end and how did it work out? Im trying choose a sugar and acid free option (pref that starts at 1mg) that is effective. I'm leaning towards country life 5mg and breaking it up into quarters.[/QUOTE]
"Seeking Health" do a good range of B12s, and they are sugar free, and sublingual.

Freddd

To everybody here. Something I have found, quite incidentally, is that MeCbl has essentially no flavor. It doesn't need any flavoring or sweetening at all. When mixing up an experimental nasal/oral spray of MeCbl I used sterile saline at 10 mg/ml (1 gram per 100ml) so it doesn't crystalize in the sprayer. I use a pump, 1/10th ml metered spray. I found that it absorbs better than any of the commercial sprays I bought and tested and never used again they were so ineffective. The very fine minimal mist covers a larger area with less fluid so it doesn't run off and down the throat and if careful can hang around for 15-20 minutes in the mouth and get adequately absorbed to be effective. I have also found that with 4 sprays, one on roof of mouth and top of tongue, one under tongue and one in each cheek that a person can approximately match the effects of a 1mg tablet held for 45 minutes or more. And the good news is, no acid, no sugar of any kind and no tooth or gum damage that I am aware of. The only flavor is a mild salt flavor. There are grams of MeCbl for sale in for those who want to experiment. However, like ALL MeCbl, the effectiveness of the MeCbl can vary a lot by batch of crystal. Also, a red safe light (ortho film safelight) or near darkness with a dim red bulb will do the trick too, for mixing and pouring the b12. All containers of liquid MeCbl needs to be 100% light proof. I wrap the bottles in foil.

To everybody here. Something I have found, quite incidentally, is that MeCbl has essentially no flavor. It doesn't need any flavoring or sweetening at all. When mixing up an experimental nasal/oral spray of MeCbl I used sterile saline at 10 mg/ml (1 gram per 100ml) so it doesn't crystalize in the sprayer. I use a pump, 1/10th ml metered spray. I found that it absorbs better than any of the commercial sprays I bought and tested and never used again they were so ineffective. The very fine minimal mist covers a larger area with less fluid so it doesn't run off and down the throat and if careful can hang around for 15-20 minutes in the mouth and get adequately absorbed to be effective. I have also found that with 4 sprays, one on roof of mouth and top of tongue, one under tongue and one in each cheek that a person can approximately match the effects of a 1mg tablet held for 45 minutes or more. And the good news is, no acid, no sugar of any kind and no tooth or gum damage that I am aware of. The only flavor is a mild salt flavor. There are grams of MeCbl for sale in for those who want to experiment. However, like ALL MeCbl, the effectiveness of the MeCbl can vary a lot by batch of crystal. Also, a red safe light (ortho film safelight) or near darkness with a dim red bulb will do the trick too, for mixing and pouring the b12. All containers of liquid MeCbl needs to be 100% light proof. I wrap the bottles in foil.

@Freddd
Thank you for that information and thank you so much for everything you have researched and posted on the forum over the years. I have been reading through so much of what you have written across threads and although I am just at the start of your protocol I am really excited about the possibilities. Its the first time in a lot of years that I feel like I am commiting to a process that I understanding and see the logic behind rather than merely following a list of recommended supplements. Switched my hydroxy B12 (that i've been taking for years) to a methylcobalamin version a few days ago but have ordered the Enzymatic version today (I'll live with the sugar for now and change things up later). Already upped my folate and potassium and looking forward to seeing what happens!

Freddd

Some people dissolve them more slowly under the gums. No methylB12 is going to be absorbed there, but I suppose it trickles down to the sublingual area or straight to the GI tract.

Hi Valentijn,

Under the upper lip, becasue the saliva doesn't wash it away quickly, the tablet can last an hour or more and by many hundreds of trials, I have established that the under lip absorption is every bit as effective as under the tongue. I learned that from an EMT using that location as an alternate location for nitroglycerine absorption. My trials indicated the same 10-33% range of absorption over the time 45-120 minutes with 15-25% being most frequent. I established this by urine colorimetry compared to very specific amounts injected. Basically I found that absorbing 1%, what is absorbed by swallowing the B12 and having passive absorption, happens every 2 to 5 minutes under the lip or in fact anywhere in the oral mucosa. This is easy to demonstrate if a person cares to go to a lot of effort.

Both the area of exposure and duration have a direct influence on total amount absorbed.

And incidentally, a friend of mine had shingles. She tried the saline spray B12 several times a day on the shingles lesions, which were headed for her eyes, and the lesions started healing in 24 hours. SHe was also taking 4mg a day of methylfolate and a single 10mg MeCbl injection daily. One observation I made. After the liquid dried, the film of crystal B12 appeared to dessicate the lesion. This have been no replications of effect with shingles that I know of, so who knows. Experiments are experimental.

Last edited:
Under the upper lip, becasue the saliva doesn't wash it away quickly, the tablet can last an hour or more and by many hundreds of trials, I have established that the under lip absorption is every bit as effective as under the tongue.
That can only be reliably established by measuring B12 levels before and after such exposure. Otherwise it's relying no how people think they feel, which is inherently highly subject to bias.