• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBD OIL... Anyone tried it? It's legal now.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@Iquitos
Each 1 ml of Cibdex contains 3.3 mg of CBD. And by comparison, each 1 ml of Medivape contains 5 mg of CBD. So Medivape is a little bit more concentrated.

Yes, it it's interesting to consider what aspect of CBD could create this mental vagueness and inability to focus. CBD affects the cannabinoid receptors, and also activates the 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A serotonin receptors.

Might the Medivape one contain other ingredients that could cause the effects you got?

Zensational

@Zensational It depends on where you are and how your state interprets the laws. It is claimed by the makers that they only use hemp to make CBD drops so it shouldn't be subject to marijuana laws, but a few states have even tried to make hemp growing and use illegal. For the most part, they've been countered.

At any rate, the last time I checked CBD drops were still being sold on Amazon, to anyone anywhere. Cibdex is the brand I've used.
I checked on Amazon.com website and there are 100mg and 500mg. That's a big difference. Because of the price most you you are mentioning, I am assuming you are doing the 100mg CBD oil. Is that correct? Then what would the 500mg CBD oil be used for?

Hip

Might the Medivape one contain other ingredients that could cause the effects you got?

My guess is that the vague, spaced out, unfocused feeling I got from CBD may relate to its anti-psychotic effects. CBD is a potent anti-psychotic, and anti-psychotics are known to cause mind-numbing effects.

I was hoping that CBD would work as well or better than the anti-psychotic drug I am currently taking, amisulpride. Amisulpride I find has all around benefits for ME/CFS, and also treats my depression quite well. One study showed that CBD is as effective as amisulpride at treating schizophrenia, and CBD has markedly less side effects compared to amisulpride.

However, in my case I found amisulpride better than CBD at treating ME/CFS, and amisulpride does not cause the mind numbing effects I get with CBD.

It is possible that I may be taking too much CBD. Perhaps I should try just 2 drops of CBD oil rather than the 8 drops that I took.

Tammy

I have now grown and processed (made into tinctures) all my initial 6 plants (three varieties). I'm finding distinct differences in how they affect me, and how they taste and smell. I'm thinking that maybe some of the differences in different peoples' experiences may be due to one or more of the other 36 (or more) cannabinoids in the whole plant, compounds other than CBD or THC. Probably the different strains have different proportions of these other cannabinoids. The indica strains are said to be sedating, for one thing, and the sativa strains are said to be invigorating. Most varieties are some kind of hybrid of the two strains, but if they have such different effects, they might also have differing proportions of the cannabinoids.

What I'm doing now is taking the very low THC tincture(s) in the morning and mid afternoon, then the one with more THC before going to bed, when I don't mind the slight side effect of more dizziness and ataxia.

I wish the US would get to researching the medicinal qualities of this plant in its entirety. I most definitely find it to be anti-inflamatory. Whatever has been causing the pain in my hip/groin joint is slowly but surely going away.

I've never been anxious so I can't comment on that part. But getting the real REM sleep has made a world of difference in the quality of my life. That alone may be responsible for lessening brain fog, and better memory.

If the CBD is more relaxing and the THC more invigorating.......why are you taking the THC at night and the CBD in the day? My friend says she only takes the CBD at night because it puts her into a deep sleep within an hour. Does the CBD make you sleepy in any way? How do you think the tincture with more THC is helping you.? What symptoms is it helping with? Thanks.

Iquitos

I checked on Amazon.com website and there are 100mg and 500mg. That's a big difference. Because of the price most you you are mentioning, I am assuming you are doing the 100mg CBD oil. Is that correct? Then what would the 500mg CBD oil be used for?
@Zensational I have only bought the 1 oz size, which has a lower concentration of CBD. I would guess that one could take fewer drops of the more potent one and I would guess that some people would take it more than once per day.

Zensational

@Zensational I have only bought the 1 oz size, which has a lower concentration of CBD. I would guess that one could take fewer drops of the more potent one and I would guess that some people would take it more than once per day.
It looks like the Cibdex 500mg CBD Cannabidiol Peppermint Flavor Hemp Oil Supplement 2oz
is $155 on Amazon.com. The label says two pumps spray = 160 servings. So if you are using 30 drops to get the desired effect then I am guessing I'd need to do more pumps, factoring in that this product is 500mg as opposed to 100mg that you are using.
I must say that I am reluctant to buy it without doing further research, one, because of the cost, and two because of being disappointed once again if it doesn't work for me.
On the other hand, I am desperate for quality sleep and I guess I'll just do a little more research and then decide.
I know that on the rare nights that I sleep better I feel much better the next day.

Iquitos

If the CBD is more relaxing and the THC more invigorating.......why are you taking the THC at night and the CBD in the day? My friend says she only takes the CBD at night because it puts her into a deep sleep within an hour. Does the CBD make you sleepy in any way? How do you think the tincture with more THC is helping you.? What symptoms is it helping with? Thanks.

@ Tammy I don't think I said the THC is more invigorating. I certainly don't find it so. I take a medical variety with 7% THC and 7% CBD during the day when I don't want to be more "relaxed". (The regular varieties of recreational cannabis can have up to 25% THC.)

It's that sativa varieties are said to be more stimulating and indica varieties more relaxing (stoning?) and I think it's not the difference in the amount of THC since both sativa and indica varieties have THC in about the same amounts.

I speculate that some of the other, less well known, cannabinoids must be causing this difference. And some of the research I've read speculates that one or more of the other 36 cannabinoids may "counter" or balance the stoning affect of THC. That's another reason I like using the whole plant. Stoners use only the flower buds and those are the parts highest in THC. I use the whole plant, flowers, leaves and stems. I grind them all up together and macerate them in grain alcohol, then strain out the plant solids and heat the remaining liquid enough to remove most of the alcohol and to "develop" the THC. It takes heat or a longer time for the THC to be converted from THCa and THCb, if I remember their names correctly.

I believe in the synergy of whole plants.

The CBD drops have never made me sleepy per se but they do help with sleep in that they help with pain, in my personal experience. The tincture with more THC is what makes me sleepy, helps with pain and inflammation. I am also having less brain fog and memory problems, but that could also be the other cannabinoids and not THC or CBD.

I am having painful groin/hip joint relief but I don't know whether it's the other cannabinoids that are helping me or the CBD or the THC. I suspect it's a combination. Those joints were both so painful I could not spread my legs normally. After using the whole plant since March, I can now spread out my left leg normally and the right half way to normal, with less than half the intensity of pain in those joints. I am doing nothing new other than medical cannabis, so I attribute this improvement to the whole plant medical varieties I am using.

As I've said before, I wish American research would get on this and figure out why and what is going on. It's a lot more than just altered consciousness, for sure. Colorado, where I live, is setting aside money from cannabis sales for research but I doubt anything has been done yet.

Iquitos

It looks like the Cibdex 500mg CBD Cannabidiol Peppermint Flavor Hemp Oil Supplement 2oz
is $155 on Amazon.com. The label says two pumps spray = 160 servings. So if you are using 30 drops to get the desired effect then I am guessing I'd need to do more pumps, factoring in that this product is 500mg as opposed to 100mg that you are using.
I must say that I am reluctant to buy it without doing further research, one, because of the cost, and two because of being disappointed once again if it doesn't work for me.
On the other hand, I am desperate for quality sleep and I guess I'll just do a little more research and then decide.
I know that on the rare nights that I sleep better I feel much better the next day.

@Zensational I know I would try the cheaper one before spending that kind of money. But i really don't think that only CBD is what is helping me the most right now. I think it's the unknown, or poorly researched, other 36 cannabinoids that are probably helping me the most. The THC does help with sleep and pain, but that is not in the CBD drops.

Isn't Florida about to make medical cannabis legal, or some aspect of it?

Zensational

@Zensational I know I would try the cheaper one before spending that kind of money. But i really don't think that only CBD is what is helping me the most right now. I think it's the unknown, or poorly researched, other 36 cannabinoids that are probably helping me the most. The THC does help with sleep and pain, but that is not in the CBD drops.

Isn't Florida about to make medical cannabis legal, or some aspect of it?
Yes, Medical Marijuana is up for a vote in November. I believe it will pass.
This is from the Huffington Post.

Florida residents don't just love medical marijuana, they support legalizing the recreational use of it, too.
According to a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday, a whopping 88 percent of residents support legalized marijuana for medical use, with the number in favor reaching as high as 95 percent among voters 29 and under.
But a majority of Floridians also support legalizing the possession of small amounts of recreational marijuana, 55 percent to 41 percent.

I have already ordered my absentee ballot since I am going to be out of the country on election day. There are alot of retirees here, myself included and I think that is what is causing the number to be as they are.

@Tammy Do you know how much CBD (mg) your friend takes at night to help her sleep, and what brand she uses? Also, did it take her some time taking it to build to the point where she gets the results she wanted? I'm interested in trying it to help my brain heal from a concussion, and also to help with sleep issues, but would like to hear more of what others have done and their experience with it. Thanks!

Tammy

@Tammy Do you know how much CBD (mg) your friend takes at night to help her sleep, and what brand she uses? Also, did it take her some time taking it to build to the point where she gets the results she wanted? I'm interested in trying it to help my brain heal from a concussion, and also to help with sleep issues, but would like to hear more of what others have done and their experience with it. Thanks!
I am sorry...........don't have the answer to your questions..........she is more of a friend of a friend. All I know is that she has RA...........and has gotten much relief with medical mj. You might get more help from @Iquitos.

helen1

I too have been experimenting with CBD drops for 3 weeks. I've been taking them for 3 reasons: to help with sleep, to help with withdrawal from trazadone and as an antibiotic (for c.pneu).

For sleep, it's been helpful in that even though I still wake up, I get back to sleep more easily.

For trazadone withdrawal it's been fabulous: no twitching legs! And no wide awake wiredness.

For abx purposes, I don't know although I do think I've experienced some die-off.

The unfortunate problem I have with it is that I get a marked diuretic effect. This of course backfires for sleep. I haven't seen anyone else mention that effect which surprises me. Does anyone have any theories as to why it might affect me this way?

I get these effects from 2-4 drops held sublingually for about 2 mins.

I've had no psychoactive effects, except once when I was pretty stoned all evening, a mystery.

MeSci

The unfortunate problem I have with it is that I get a marked diuretic effect. This of course backfires for sleep. I haven't seen anyone else mention that effect which surprises me. Does anyone have any theories as to why it might affect me this way?

I'm afraid I don't. I have found smoking marijuana one of the best things to relieve the pain of cystitis (which I used to get a lot when I was younger), so in that sense it actually reduced the urge to keep urinating, so I found it easier to hold on. I don't recall any diuretic effect. Maybe it's an atypical reaction that some people get. A quick search found this page that reports some people getting diuresis from marijuana:
Diuretic effect
Diuretic effect has been reported by people with high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, panic disorder, type 2 diabetes, gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Its awesome to see discussions like this taking place, I can remember a time when someone would post the benefits they recieved from hemp or cannabis and that person was immediately eaten alive. Glad to see this is working for people:)

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
I'm currently using a 1:1 CBD:THC strain in the form of edibles for severe muscle contractions.

I'm finding it much more tolerable then a pure THC strain. The addition of CBD has reduced the pyschoactive 'buzz' considerably whilst still allowing the muscles to relax. Previously I would have to pop a xanax with a cannabis edible to keep the experience mentally tolerable.

However, I'm unsure if CBD on it's own has been beneficial for me.

Hi Nomad, that is a pretty popular ratio. And the issue with that THC buzz being overwhelming I can definitely relate.

CBD in and of itself can usually help but not for everyone. I know there are people out there that certainly claim it helps them a lot.. in fact I know a fair number of people with that claim. What I have seen a lot of people do recently is buy CBD hemp oil and take that while they are smoking.. because while its easy to get marijuana high in THC just about everywhere finding CBD can be a lot tougher and is only available online or at a handful of dispensaries in California, Colorado etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeSci

I'm currently using a 1:1 CBD:THC strain in the form of edibles for severe muscle contractions.

I'm finding it much more tolerable then a pure THC strain. The addition of CBD has reduced the pyschoactive 'buzz' considerably whilst still allowing the muscles to relax. Previously I would have to pop a xanax with a cannabis edible to keep the experience mentally tolerable.

However, I'm unsure if CBD on it's own has been beneficial for me.

Is THC best for muscle relaxation then? I think that what I currently use doesn't have much THC, as it doesn't make me particularly high - more sleepy and mellow - but it does relax my muscles very quickly, and leg muscle pain and fatigue just melt away.

In my experience CBD is best for muscle relaxation but everyone is different. With CBD studies showing its many benefits in reducing seizures I feel like CBD is probably on the top of the list for muscle relaxation. But Im no doctor and dont pretend to know the answers to all these questions..lol.