• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How LORAZEPAM destroyed my health and sanity for 4 1/2 weeks

Ema

I thought of a few more things that have been helpful for me...

Zofran...for the constant, unremitting nausea for the first month.

I also tried many of the supps on @Hip's list and found NAG in particular to be helpful.

Niacinamide is meant to be anxiety reducing and I've continued to take that at 1000 mg per day.

I've also doubled up on zinc and amino acids as well as increased my protein consumption in general. Mostly in the form of low sugar prepared "shakes" that are surely nutritionally crap but taste like chocolate milk and would stay down when nothing else would.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Ema Thanks for your list of stuff. Fortunately, I have not had any nausea at all. Sorry that you have. :( And at this point, the anxiety has been greatly alleviated (pretty much gone most days) by constant acupuncture, magnesium, holy basil and prescription herbs from my TCM practitioner.

I have successfully boosted my adrenals with sizable doses of daily adaptogens, 7KetoDHEA, B5 with Vit C, so my energy level is much better. I went for a 15 minute walk on each of the past three days. I hope I can maintain that, as exercise feels really good to me right now.

The only big issue I have at this point is that my sleep is even more screwed up than usual. Melatonin makes me worse. Kava does nothing. So I am going back on tryptophan, mag, and progesterone tonight. We'll see if it works.

My acupuncturist has deduced that the brain toxicity feeling I have is a liver issue, so I am drinking lemon water, eating lots of greens, and taking NAC. I hope that helps. I want this incident behind me for good.

Thanks for reminding me about protein. I think I need more of that.

PS There is a really good point for nausea on the wrist, which is also good for heart palpitations. It's PC-6 and here it is. They actually sell wrist bands for sea sickness that stimulate that point, so you may want to check them out.

PC-6.jpg

http://www.yinyanghouse.com/acupuncturepoints/pc6

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Had a quick look at some of the posts in this thread. Benzo's did not work very long for me for sleep. Maybe a few days and I had to increase the dose.
I don't really take it for sleep, but for daytime 'edginess' - an up-regulated autonomic nervous system per Dr. Cheney.

I do take a double dose at bedtime, but use several other things for sleep as well. My doctor was OK with my taking a triple dose at bedtime, but it left me too groggy in the morning.

DeGenesis

I don't really take it for sleep, but for daytime 'edginess' - an up-regulated autonomic nervous system per Dr. Cheney.

I do take a double dose at bedtime, but use several other things for sleep as well. My doctor was OK with my taking a triple dose at bedtime, but it left me too groggy in the morning.

I really like Dr. Cheney's work surrounding the heart and the ANS. Check this study out. I think it might explain why benzodiazepines have such a calming effect on the SNS. Benzodiazepine receptors are located throughout the body in mitochondria. They are especially numerous in heart muscle tissue. I bolded some parts (almost all of it haha).

Can J Cardiol. 2011 Mar-Apr;27(2):262.e3 -13. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2010.12.023.
Roles of mitochondrial benzodiazepine receptor in the heart.
Surinkaew S1, Chattipakorn S, Chattipakorn N.
Author information
Abstract

Mitochondrial benzodiazepine receptor (mBzR) is a type of peripheral benzodiazepine receptor that is located in the outer membrane of mitochondria. It is an 18-kDa protein that can form a multimeric complex with voltage-dependent anion channel (32 kDa) and adenine nucleotide translocator (30 kDa). mBzR is found in various species and abundantly distributed in peripheral tissues, including the cardiovascular system. The mitochondria are well known as the site of energy production, and the heart is the organ that highly requires this energy supply. In the past decades, it has been shown that mBzR plays a critical role in regulating mitochondrial and heart functions. A growing body of evidence demonstrates that mBzR is associated with regulation of mitochondrial respiration, mitochondrial membrane potential, apoptosis, and reactive oxygen species production. Moreover, mBzR has been suggested to play a role in alteration of physiological effects in the heart such as contractility and heart rate. mBzR is involved in the pathologic condition such as ischemia/reperfusion injury, responses to stress, and changes in electrophysiological properties and arrhythmogenesis. In this review, evidence of the roles of mBzR in the heart under both physiological and pathologic conditions is presented. Clinical studies regarding the use of pharmacologic intervention involving mBzR in the heart are also discussed as a possible target for the treatment of electrical and mechanical dysfunction in the heart.

Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier Inc.

PMID: 21459278 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Thanks for this @DeGenesis. I only half understand it, but I did catch the words "heart rate". I have relatively recently found out that my heart rate goes much higher that I had any idea. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out of this.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I think it might explain why benzodiazepines have such a calming effect on the SNS. Benzodiazepine receptors are located throughout the body in mitochondria. They are especially numerous in heart muscle tissue. I bolded some parts (almost all of it haha).

THis probably also explains why the benzos can have such a tremendously agitating and frightening effect on the heart when they backfire on you. Most of my worst symptoms through my benzo ordeal were the palpitations, pressure in my chest, and burning pains down my arms. When I had an EKG, it checked out as normal, so these dreadful symptoms were all due to the adverse effect of the benzos on my my nervous system and on the receptors in my heart. HORRIBLE!

Abha

Abha
THis probably also explains why the benzos can have such a tremendously agitating and frightening effect on the heart when they backfire on you. Most of my worst symptoms through my benzo ordeal were the palpitations, pressure in my chest, and burning pains down my arms. When I had an EKG, it checked out as normal, so these dreadful symptoms were all due to the adverse effect of the benzos on my my nervous system and on the receptors in my heart. HORRIBLE!

Hi Dreambirdie....

I haven't read all of this thread but I just wish to add that Lorazepam(ativan) is a very dangerous drug.I was on it for about 5 years(over 30 years ago).In the end I was addicted to it.I took part in a case study re Ativan addiction(that study)as far as I know no longer exists)...just before I was completely poisoned(by NHS)in trying to come off it.I took myself into a mental hospital as there was no where else to go back then(I think that is still the case in UK).I won't go into all the details....shocking!!!..

The GPS/consultants/Professors etc back then had no idea about the effects of Ativan(lorazepam) on some people.At one meeting just before being completely poisoned I was told by my consultant in front of other consultants/Sen Nurses too that I wasn't that bad and that I would just have to face facts and that I would probably be on drugs for the rest of my life.

I told those present that I didn't accept that and that I wanted off it.....but no one knew how to do that(it seemed)so, I was left on it(by my consultant) and then handed to an SHO who poisoned me!I will never be closer to death....had a big convulsion(s),nearly bit my tongue off and I was in a comatose state....prior to that I was very agitated/restless/very thirsty/hallucinating and paranoid(in closing stages)etc..

That type of drug was making my health condition much worse and it stops B12 uptake too...bad in my case as I was probably hypothyroid at that time.....no wonder I was left fighting for my life!!!In recent years my GP put me on lorazepam but, I refused to take it.My mental health notes were never properly kept...and my GP knew about my problems with that drug so, it appears that she was careless at that time.Esther Ranzen(sp?)did a programme on Ativan etc back in the 1980s(?)...

Many women were having problems with it then and it was connected to suicides too.I met a Headmistress on a flight from London many years ago and she told me about a member of her staff who couldn't come of it and who had committed suicide.I believe drugs like Lorazepam (Ativan)should be banned!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
OMG! @Abha... what a horror story! Amazing that you survived and made it through that awful ordeal. I have read many many stories like this in the past few weeks. Just horrifying what these drugs can do.

I believe drugs like Lorazepam (Ativan)should be banned!!!

I agree with you! I doubt it will happen, but I do wish that they would at least be reclassified in the same category as heroin and cocaine, and come with a black box warning that they could destroy your health and your life if you take them.

Abha

Abha
OMG! @Abha... what a horror story! Amazing that you survived and made it through that awful ordeal. I have read many many stories like this in the past few weeks. Just horrifying what these drugs can do.
I agree with you! I doubt it will happen, but I do wish that they would at least be reclassified in the same category as heroin and cocaine, and come with a black box warning that they could destroy your health and your life if you take them.

At the time when I took part in the case study(Teaching Hospital?) the Dr who was in charge (afterwards) told me that I had the same/worse? symptoms as those on hard drugs(heroine etc).He told me too that those(Drs) present found it(my case) difficult to believe.I told him that I was a non smoker,that I had never taken drugs except for NHS ones...and that I would swear re that on the Torah/Bible or the Qu'ran....A short time later because of their ignorance/understanding I was left fighting for my life!

God(Allah)still had plans for me!....One needs good family support at such a time as one feels suicidal.....in the place of self harm...desperate depression etc...At that stage one requires lots of vitamins etc....that wasn't afforded to me.I think one should be sent to see an endocrinologist too.I was feeling lobsided etc..My balance had been badly affected as had smell/vision/hearing etc..Some time later I eventually sought help outside the NHS system...long story...

Dreambirdie

work in progress
At the time when I took part in the case study(Teaching Hospital?) the Dr who was in charge (afterwards) told me that I had the same/worse? symptoms as those on hard drugs(heroine etc).He told me too that those(Drs) present found it(my case) difficult to believe.

I have read that withdrawal from benzos is often WORSE than withdrawal from heroin, and after what I've been through I believe it. I'm very relieved to be done with the worst of this ordeal after 5 weeks.

As for doctors not believing you... well, all I can say is what can we expect from a bunch of idiots! :rolleyes: Honestly, I'm just disgusted with the blazing ignorance and cluelessness about these drugs in the medical community. It's just another reason to stick with my ND and my TCM practitioners, whose treatments and remedies have never made me go through a hell like this.

boohealth

Doctors don't routinely test. But you can ask. Or if 23andme is still providing raw data (which you can then upload to Promethease), for $100 and some spit, you can find out a lot of stuff, including that. You ought to know, given your sensitivities, should you ever need surgery or a pharmaceutical.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Doctors don't routinely test. But you can ask. Or if 23andme is still providing raw data (which you can then upload to Promethease), for $100 and some spit, you can find out a lot of stuff, including that. You ought to know, given your sensitivities, should you ever need surgery or a pharmaceutical.

Please tell me more. I have 23&ME... where do I find this info, and what is the test for exactly?

DeGenesis

When I had an endoscopy I was given midazolam, a very potent benzodiazepine. They combined it with fentanyl, an opioid. They wanted to use propofol as well, but I declined because I was afraid it would trigger my autonomic dysfunction. I was already a bit light-headed. Big mistake. I think I should have abandoned the procedure and walked out. I ended up having a gastroscopy, I was burping, gagging and dry heaving on the endoscope all at the same time. I had to put my hand up (IV was in) to get the midazolam and fentanyl, they helped marginally.

I think that everyone should have information in their wallet for paramedics about their medical conditions, medications, contraindications, etc, but obviously it's a really personal decision and I'm sure someone will find fault with me :).

I have a very noticeable sheet of paper in my wallet that warns the paramedic about my autonomic dysfunction, and how my high blood pressure can be deceiving. I said to try and elevate my legs. I suppose they know best but I feel a bit safer knowing they will know I have autonomic dysfunction.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I think that everyone should have information in their wallet for paramedics about their medical conditions, medications, contraindications, etc, but obviously it's a really personal decision and I'm sure someone will find fault with me :).

I have a very noticeable sheet of paper in my wallet that warns the paramedic about my autonomic dysfunction, and how my high blood pressure can be deceiving. I said to try and elevate my legs. I suppose they know best but I feel a bit safer knowing they will know I have autonomic dysfunction.

Not to go too far off topic but check my post about File of Life. The county supplies all this--if your county participates.

Sushi

DeGenesis

Not to go too far off topic but check my post about File of Life. The county supplies all this--if your county participates.

Sushi

I live in Canada and my city uses ICE (In Case of Emergency). Not nearly as awesome as what your county supplies. If you don't mind, I might PM you about that medical bracelet (How do I know EMS is going to look in my wallet soon enough?) so I don't take this thread further off topic, as you said :).

DeGenesis

Yup. Totally agree. Unfortunately this realization usually only comes after years of making that mistake.

My doctor withdrew me too quickly from a medication and I had a seizure. People on a large benzodiazepine forum all recommended a very slow taper. I believe in getting the right help from health professions who know what they're doing, but I don't think it hurts to take in some information on the internet, whether it be correct or incorrect, and bring it to that professionals attention. They might even change their treatment approach. Or save you from disaster, of course.

^Personal opinion, not advice. Except the seizure part. That sucked.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Unfortunately I have not yet met a DOCTOR who knows what s/he is doing. And since doctors are the only ones who have permission to prescribe substances that can make you seriously ill or kill you, I'm not going to risk taking their advice or their pharma drugs anymore. DO NO HARM in my case means do not consult MDs.

boohealth

Dreambirdie, do you have your 23andme results? You should be able to see if you have any p450 variants. Anyway, upload all the raw data into Promethease, a wonderful app, and pay them $5 via Amazon. .They tell you what you've got and link to snpedia. Some of your snps will be well studied, others not. A few of the brac mutations are tested. They only test one celiac gene I believe. They test for some of the Marf and EDS genes. It's *not* definitive but very helpful. And don't freak out if you have a gene here for risk of this, a gene there for risk of that. It's the whole picture--
I have the cyp2d26 p450 snp--so, I don't metabolize ssri's, lamisil, or dexamethasone well (others too but I noticed those, because once I tried 1/4 pill of Zoloft, and literally had urinary retention for 24 hours. From 1/4 pill. I just didn't try any other SSRI's after that. Then, I got such bad liver stitches from lamisil after a few days, I gave up on that. Etc.
I am also a slow acetylator--so all drugs process slowly.
Re: endoscopy and drugs. I need to get a screening colonoscopy, and I'm going to refuse propofol, I think. Why? Because in the rare event you have a bad reaction, it cannot be reversed! I know I tolerate versed just fine. I have never tried demerol. I may just endure a little pain and just do versed.

boohealth

Honestly, one man's medicine is another's poison.These drugs (benzos) don't need to be banned, though shouldn't be dispensed like candy. It depends on us, our individual selves, as to what we tolerate and don't. I know folks who just love essential oils, well these days, essential oils have just too many hormones for me to use topically (including calming lavender etc)