• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with protocol

I have trouble with Fred's protocol because there are too many supplements to take. When I do take them they make my gastritis flare up. I was wondering if anyone would be able to look at my 23andme data, which I have ran through Sterlings App and tell me which supplements I would benefit most from?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxjkUjZGCgQpYUdvYnJnTVdFelU/edit?usp=sharing

Also is there anywhere online that would give me a detailed analysis of my data?

Thanks.

Critterina

@Arizona ,

I don't understand a lot of the SNPs that are tested for, but I do recognize the methylation SNPs. I would say methylcobalamin (sublingual) form of B12 will benefit you the most, because the MTRR A66G +/+ means that if you take any other form you will be inefficient at converting it to the active form. I have read here that Enzymatic Therapies brand is good quality. I have used it and others and can't really tell the difference.

I would also supplement with methylfolate, if I were you, because the MTHFR C677T that converts folinic acid to methylfolate is at the +/-. This is enough of a inefficiency to cause health issues, and when you start supplementing with B12 so that what folate you do make gets used up more for methylation leaving less for neurotransmitters. Solgar "Folate" seems to be of reliable quality, from what I read on this forum. I use it, but I'm also trying another brand, Piping Rock. Both buy their folate from the same company.

Hope this helps. Please continue to research, get other opinions, and make your own decision. I am just a person with an opinion, not a medical person, not an expert. I'm just telling you what I would do.

Critterina

PeterPositive

@Arizona did you try adding one product at a time and see which one seems to be harming your stomach? Similarly I have been suffering from lots of digestive issues and I had to go very slow to build up the tolerance. For instance when I started taking zinc I could hardly tolerate 4-5mg which was way below the dosage my doc gave me. With time however things got better I now I can tolerate moderately high doses.

If you have methylation issues it's likely you'll be intolerant to many things, but if you go slow enough and start with the minimum tolerable amount chances are you will improve.

Sublingual tablets usually are easy on the stomach if you can find those with less added sugars. You can find methyl folate in sublingual form too. Dr. Lynch's SeekingHealth website has those, for example.

Cheers

Thank you. I will make sure to take methylfolate and methylb12.

I don't think it's a particular supplement that irritates my stomach. I think it's taking so many of them per day. Even when I split them up to take with meals, I can still be taking 6 different pills at a time and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Freddd

Thank you. I will make sure to take methylfolate and methylb12.

I don't think it's a particular supplement that irritates my stomach. I think it's taking so many of them per day. Even when I split them up to take with meals, I can still be taking 6 different pills at a time and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Hi Arizona,

A lot of vitamins can upset the stomac. It partly depends upon the food. Eggs and lots of vitamins means getting sick. I need the bread and fruit and veggies to buffer out the vitamins. One piece of advice I have used for years is eat the first quarter meal. Take a couple of pills and then more food for the middle half and then the last quarter of food. I also had to titrate zinc from low levels to avoid upset.

Last edited: