• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C diff

Martial

I may have developed this from my antibiotics and I need to get a test from my doctor.. Problem is I am on vacation on the weekend and can't get in touch.. Does anyone know what the approach for this is with abx? I am on diflucan 100mg and don't want to make it worse if it's there.. I need to figure out if I should stop it today, or wait till Monday and talk to my doctor. I have no idea who I could call for a medical opinion right now...

Gingergrrl

@Martial I wasn't sure from your post if you meant you are on vacation or your doctor is on vacation and unreachable? Does your doctor have someone on-call for him or her that you can contact in an emergency? I would not wait until Mon and try to reach someone if you can. My other thought is going to an urgent care clinic?

BadBadBear

Ooooh, please don't wait to get help if you think it is C-Diff. My father-in-law lost his colon to a C-Diff infection last year. It's a scary bad bug.

Butydoc

I may have developed this from my antibiotics and I need to get a test from my doctor.. Problem is I am on vacation on the weekend and can't get in touch.. Does anyone know what the approach for this is with abx? I am on diflucan 100mg and don't want to make it worse if it's there.. I need to figure out if I should stop it today, or wait till Monday and talk to my doctor. I have no idea who I could call for a medical opinion right now...
Hi Martial,

Why do you think you have a c diff. Infection?

Best Gary

Martial

I am on vacation in the Sierra Nevada mountains and my doctor is not available during the weekend. It's not severe yet if I do have it.. I am taking 900 billion cfu probiotics but I don't know if I should stop my antibiotics for my Lyme until I talk to my doctor. Since it would make it much worse.. However stopping antibiotics early usually isn't recommended either. I can't get to a clinic in person but I just to know if I can stop the antibiotic early or not.

Martial

Hi Martial,

Why do you think you have a c diff. Infection?

Best Gary

I developed really bad stomach pains and diarrhea, as well as noticed some gross changes in the stool but beyond the pain nothing seems that bad. I am gonna get a test for it on Monday, I just need to figure if I can stop the diflucan right now. I am already doing 900 billion cfu medical Probiotics so I am not too worried about it getting worse. Trying to stay on top of the possibility as best I can though.

Gingergrrl

@Martial One last thought since you can't get to a clinic... can you call a clinic or ER and try to get an answer over the phone? I know it is a major pain in the arse but hate to see you worsen if you really have c-diff?!!

Martial

@Martial One last thought since you can't get to a clinic... can you call a clinic or ER and try to get an answer over the phone? I know it is a major pain in the arse but hate to see you worsen if you really have c-diff?!!

Yeah I think I will try that thanks! I don't think it's a big worry yet, but this is deforest something I want to catch early as possible if it is a possibility.

Butydoc

I developed really bad stomach pains and diarrhea, as well as noticed some gross changes in the stool but beyond the pain nothing seems that bad. I am gonna get a test for it on Monday, I just need to figure if I can stop the diflucan right now. I am already doing 900 billion cfu medical Probiotics so I am not too worried about it getting worse. Trying to stay on top of the possibility as best I can though.
I assume you are treating a fungal infection with the diflucan, if that is the case then you probably want to complete the recommended schedule. Diflucan is an anti-fungal agent and as far as I understand doesn't cause C Difficile overgrowth/infection.

If your pain, diarrhea worsens or you develope fever, I would consider calling your Doc tomorrow.

Best,
Gary

IreneF

If you are on vacation you could also be adjusting to higher altitude, heat, activity, different food and water, or just the stress of travel. Diarrhea is very common. As Gary said, probably not a problem unless you get dehydrated or run a fever for more than a couple of days. So remember to drink plenty of water.

Also, people usually catch C. diff in hospitals.

Last edited:

Daffodil

I had diarrhea almost 16 times a day with 1 antibiotic...I was SO sure I had C diff but did not. They do a culture, i think. You can go to ER...

I think they use Vancomycin for it...and if it doesnt work they do fecal transplant maybe

Gingergrrl

I assume you are treating a fungal infection with the diflucan, if that is the case then you probably want to complete the recommended schedule. Diflucan is an anti-fungal agent and as far as I understand doesn't cause C Difficile overgrowth/infection.

@Martial, were you worried about C Diff from Diflucan or from an antibiotic? I think I may have misunderstood your original post! In either case, I hope you are feeling better today and have reached a clinic or doctor to clarify.

Martial

@Martial, were you worried about C Diff from Diflucan or from an antibiotic? I think I may have misunderstood your original post! In either case, I hope you are feeling better today and have reached a clinic or doctor to clarify.

It would have been from Ceftin but I think I am in the clear, Doctor said to continue meds since like a poster here said it doesn't affect gut flora as much. I thought the diflucan was making it worse. I still have abdominal pains but nothing too severe. Making me second guess the idea of long term IV antibiotics though. Thank you everyone for the support and assistance!

JT1024

Hope you are better! Hoping it is not C. diff....

C.diff is most often seen in healthcare settings (hospitals, nursing homes, and rehabs). Where I work (a hospital), testing is performed on patients being transferred from other facilities and symptomatic patients. We utilize PCR and it takes less than an hour from receipt of specimen to result.