• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please can anyone help with immunology results?

JamBob

Hi

I'd be so grateful if anyone can give me some help in understanding these immunology results as I don't understand what they mean.

To give some context - I'm constantly coming down with viral and bacterial infections and I take a lot longer (than healthy people) to get over these infections. I also have several autoimmune diseases (eg. I take insulin, thyroid meds and steroids for Adrenal insufficiency). I also have the usual fatigue/PEM/sore throats/unrestful sleep. My doctor who ordered the tests for me is a generalist (not an immunologist) so I'm trying to find out as much as I can myself.

I've highlighted the results that are high or low in bold.

T 3 (CD3+) + 87.3 % [67-83]

B Lymphocytes (DR,CD19+) 5.7 % [5-12]

T4 (CD4+) + 59.5 % [40-59]
In absolute value + 2052 [312-1306]

T8 (CD8+) 29.7 % [22-37]

In absolute value + 1024 [175-834]

Ratio T4/T8 2.00 [1.11-2.54]

T4 memory + 37.8 % [12-37]

Ratio T4M/T4 0.64 [0.34-0.83]

Cytotoxic T8 26.6 % [16-29]

T8 suppressor - 2.8 % [3.0-14.0]

T8c/T8s + 9.50 [1.5-6.5]

Geactiveerde T(CD3+DR+) 1.7 % [0.0-4.2]

NK1 (CD8-,CD57+) - 2.5 % [3.6-13.2]

NK2 CD3+(CD16+/CD56+) 2.1 % [1.2-5.1]

NK3 (CD3-,CD16+/CD56+) - 1.6 % [6.9-18.3]

Lymphocytes (CD5) + 88.7 % [54-80]

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me in understanding these results.

PS do any of these tests say anything about my NK Cell Cytotoxicity level (eg. function).

edited to change text color.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Can't help but please make the type all the same color and same font. That's killing my brain from purple to black to green to bold to not bold.

JamBob

Can't help but please make the type all the same color and same font. That's killing my brain from purple to black to green to bold to not bold.

Hi sorry about that - I edited text to put abnormal results in bold instead.

DanME

Hi,

I have only basic knowledge about the different subtypes of the immune system and have no experience in clinical diagnostics, but I try to shed a little light on your results.

T3 cells are the general population of all T Cells, which have different subclasses, mainly T4 Helper cells, T8 Cytotoxic cells and T8 Suppressor cells. You have a light to moderate increase of your overall T3 cell population, your T4 Helper cells and a small decrease in T8 Suppressor cells. Furthermore, your NK cells are too low.

You could say parts of your adaptive immune system are activated. Especially the T4 Helper cells. T4 Helper cells find a target (like a bacterium, a virus effected cell) and ask other cells to help fighting the intruder. You often see an increase in the early and acute stages of infections and together with several autoimmune disorders. T8 suppressor cells regulate and calm the immune response and an decrease could be a sign of an ongoing chronic infection and/or autoimmunity.

Low NK cells are quite common in ME/CFS. NK cells are part of the the first defence of our immune system and especially kill virus infected and cancer cells. Why there is a decrease in ME is not clear. But you can see a decrease in chronic infections, high age, immune suppression and some mental diseases (like depression). If your NK cells work properly is not shown in the test, but there is a decrease.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I know a lot of theory, but I am not an immunologist. :)