• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effects of Valtrex on Leaky Gut

I just started taking valtrex a few days ago & have heard it can have gastrointestinal side effects. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of impact it has on a leaky gut as this is where I'm channeling my resources right now & feel it might be the key to my recovery, thus I'm not willing to jeopardise that by taking valtrex simultaneously if it could be undermining what I'm doing.

Gingergrrl

@Boz86 I don't know the answer but wanted to let you know that I recently started Famvir and have Leaky Gut. I have had some increase in nausea but am not certain it is from the Famvir vs. another supplement that I have been trying to increase. However, it has given me almost daily headaches and facial pain. Will you be taking Valtrex for EBV (vs. other viruses) and are you treating the Leaky Gut separately?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think the gut issues are nausea type symptoms already mentioned, trial and error but they say to take it with food, some are absorbed better with some fat in your gut?

@Boz86 I don't know the answer but wanted to let you know that I recently started Famvir and have Leaky Gut. I have had some increase in nausea but am not certain it is from the Famvir vs. another supplement that I have been trying to increase. However, it has given me almost daily headaches and facial pain. Will you be taking Valtrex for EBV (vs. other viruses) and are you treating the Leaky Gut separately?
Yep taking it for EBV however I got my titers back into a normal range naturally after a year and a half so I'm taking it more preemptively right now however it does seem to be causing a die-off of sorts. Treating the leaky gut separately/naturally.

Gingergrrl

Yep taking it for EBV however I got my titers back into a normal range naturally after a year and a half so I'm taking it more preemptively right now however it does seem to be causing a die-off of sorts. Treating the leaky gut separately/naturally.

@Boz86 When you said you got your EBV titers back into a normal range naturally- do you mean without any anti-virals or supplements? If so, how did you do that?!!! I have had high titers for about a year (although maybe even two years?) and tried all kind of natural anti-virals and now finally taking Famvir which I wish I would have known about earlier. Also, what kind of die-off or symptoms do you have?

@Boz86 When you said you got your EBV titers back into a normal range naturally- do you mean without any anti-virals or supplements? If so, how did you do that?!!! I have had high titers for about a year (although maybe even two years?) and tried all kind of natural anti-virals and now finally taking Famvir which I wish I would have known about earlier. Also, what kind of die-off or symptoms do you have?
I do take various supplements however I don't attribute them to the success I had in finally overcoming glandular (3rd or 4th bout) & getting my titers back in to a normal range. The thing that worked for me & continues to work for me in knocking out all kinds of chronic infections is juice fasting. It's hard to do though & you have you to be super disciplined. The last one I did was 14 days & after that I tested & discovered I'd got back in to a normal range. If you're not too familiar with the concept this site has some great info on it: http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

Gingergrrl

@Boz86 Thanks for the info but I don't think it could work for me as there are certain supplements that I need to take with food and juice has a lot of sugar which I am not allowed to eat at present. Although I always feel better when I eat less and wish there was a realistic way to incorporate something like this.

JAM

Jill
@Gingergrrl most of the juice fasts like that use vegetables far more than fruit and recommend using a juicer that mushes the veggies, not separating out the fiber, so the sugar shouldn't be a problem. The benefits mostly come from the increase in vitamins and minerals, not a lack of other foods. I haven't been able to go 100% juice, but do ok with juice and beef jerky (home made from grassed beef). You will most likely have a herx reaction when you add juice if you add a lot. I started with one glass a day and worked up to more. Now that I have a treatment plan I may try it again. Before the effects never lasted for long, probably because alone they couldn't get ahead of the virus.