• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beware of where you buy your "stuff"

optimist

I just watched a interesting documentary about counterfeit goods. It is a billion dollar industry that's heavily affecting the developing countries, but also to some extent the western world. The people behind it counterfeits everything from the usual clothes, shades, purses, but also even military airplane parts, military drone parts, advanced electronics, and - medicine.

They showed about a woman from Canada who ordered from a "Canadian" pharmacy, at least that's what she was told. But the pills she was taking actually originated from somewhere in India. The people who had made them had used leftovers from some nearby mine as their filling. It was full of toxic materials, and nothing of what she actually needed. The outcome was fatal. They said there was a very high number of such cases every year. They even found several clinics in USA that unknowingly had counterfeit chemo therapy products to treat cancer patients.

The moral of the story is: be very careful where you order your stuff. Don't just buy it because its cheap, even if it is a brand you know. It may not be what it looks like.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
We've been over this a million times. You can get tainted drugs from anywhere, even in the US from "Legitimate" pharmacies because their plants have bad manufacturing protocols.

Apotex, a leading manufacturer of generics in the US had their plant that made Trazodone closed down for a long time because of that. It can happen anywhere.

Some of the biggest manufacturers of generic meds are in India. India does not equal bad crap.

I also remember that people were getting bogus chemotherapy medication because the pharmacist intentionally compounded things wrong.

It's my body, my choice to get the meds I need at a price I can afford. I don't need a babysitter.

optimist

@optimist Sorry, I didn't mean you babysitting me, I meant the FDA. I get the concern but the topic has been beaten to death here and I think most people here who buy medications overseas are aware of the risks.

This thread talks about it I'm sure. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/online-pharmacies.28900/

Oh, my apologies for misunderstanding you then :) I am pretty new here on the forums, and I don't get to read all that's posted, so I wasn't aware that it had been dealt with so many times.

Oh, my apologies for misunderstanding you then :) I am pretty new here on the forums, and I don't get to read all that's posted, so I wasn't aware that it had been dealt with so many times.

Thank you for posting this @optimist :)

I personally don't think this topic has been 'beaten to death here'. It's always a good reminder to be wary of what you are buying especially from India. There have been some reports of supplements being tainted with drugs and supplements having stuff in them that shouldn't be consumed.

There are many that think they are receiving meds and supplements from Canada and the USA but they are really being shipped from places like India. There is also the problem of meds/supplements getting seized by customs because they come from foreign countries so you lose your money.

I guess people choose where and how they get meds and supplements but it's also important to be aware that you might not be getting what you ordered, there are some pretty scary stories out there.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The pharmacies I buy from will refund your money if custom seizes them. I had a package shipped that the USPS returned to sender before it even made it to my city. The company turned around and reshipped it for me.

I've never had an issue with customs Knock wood.

optimist

@optimist, my ability to buy immune modulators not available in the US has helped me a lot, more than anything I've taken.

I would really like for the government in Norway to give us a slack too. Here for example, any Vitamin-D3 higher than 20mcg is counted as medicine, and you need to get it via the doctor... or just take a whole lot of them at once, which is not very economical or anything... too many regulations, and too little room for the people to decide for themselves what is good and what is not.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
too many regulations, and too little room for the people to decide for themselves what is good and what is not.

My point exactly. I know the immune modulators are helping me. I almost never get PEM, although I'm still really tired.

Australia is like Norway. Here I can get melatonin OTC for really cheap. There they have to get an RX. Same with a lot of other stuff too.

Have you looked at buying from Iherb or Vitacost? They ship internationally although i'm not sure if they ship stuff you consider mediations. Might be worth a shot to see.

optimist

My point exactly. I know the immune modulators are helping me. I almost never get PEM, although I'm still really tired.

Australia is like Norway. Here I can get melatonin OTC for really cheap. There they have to get an RX. Same with a lot of other stuff too.

Have you looked at buying from Iherb or Vitacost? They ship internationally although i'm not sure if they ship stuff you consider mediations. Might be worth a shot to see.

I've used iHerb a couple of times. So far the experience with them has been really good. I try to stick to the things that has a lot of positive feedback as I know the products have been well tested then :) Vitacost is new to me though. So far I have not seen the need to buy meds elsewhere than the local pharmacy as my doctor so far has prescribed me the things I want to test. I'm not sure what he would say about immune modulators though...

Can I ask what immune modulators you use? Are they specifically for PEM. Normally I don't suffer from PEM, but could they help with fatigue in some cases, that would make me interested to investigate further.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Vitacost and herb are supplements. It may be cheaper to buy a huge bottle of D3 then get an rx. It's a lot about money for me and others.

I alternate between Cycloferon, Isoprinosine and Arbidol, none of which are available in the US. They are interferon inducers and they boost NK Cell function too. I don't know if it would help your PEM, that is what it is doing for me.

@heapsreal would be better able to answer your questions as to the specifics on how they work since he uses them too. I also take Famvir. I'm not sure if it's one or the other or both combined that is helping me but I'm sticking with the combo.

Gingergrrl

@optimist Thank you for posting this and this was my first time reading about it on PR. I try to be very careful with where I buy meds & supplements from and appreciate the info.