• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infectolab Tests

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster, I am looking to tap into the wonderful wealth of knowledge contributors on here possess when it comes to everything CFS/Lyme and more!

Long story short Ive been chronically unwell for the last 7 years, being seeing KDM for the last three and as with most his patients of late, Iam pursing a Lyme treatment protocol for almost the last year based on a positive Elispot LTT from Infectolab. test results were as follows:

B.B Fully Antigen +3
OSP Mix 1
LFA 1 0

However given the prevalence of co-infections and reactivated ones to boot I was anxious to widen the scope somewhat to see what else might be at play in making up my current health picture. Given my history of acute EBV infection in my teens, I was interested to know whether the virus had reared its head again and was complicating my recovery. Based on this I sent for tests to Infectolab to get a better insight into this which reported:

Antibodies
EBV- CA-IgG + 2.58
" - EBNA-IgG + 4.14
" - CA-IgM 0.15

Elispot

EBV LTT (lytic) +17
" " (latent) + 2

Ive attempted to do my own digging around into the implications of the EBV test results, however to date I have come up with a rather fragmented picture.
Bearing this in mind, I was hoping some of the contributors on here might have a better insight into this than I do, what these tests actually mean, implications, whether I should be pursuing a concurrent course of treatment alongside the antibiotic protocol for Lyme.
Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
KdM tends to use Redlabs for these tests. I think maybe Infectolab is better? I don't know.
I've never got a positive viral test from Redlabs but many from the one used by Break-spear (USA)
I would send him a copy @Spiderbaby and discuss at a phone consult.
I'm in the same boat really, had mega high titres of EBV,CMV,HSV1 &2 over the past 7yrs. But now hopefully going to persue Lyme with IV antibiotics, I'm hoping the immune system can batter the viruses as I help it overcome the bacteria:)

Thank you for the responses guys.
When I broached KDM on my last visit about getting these tests done with Redlabs and or Infectolabs he was less than enthusiastic so I got them done of my own accord.
Its my intention to discuss the Infectolab EBV results with him during my next consultation, but I wanted to get as much knowledge about their implications as stand alone tests, as well as what they may mean for my current treatment protocol and overall recovery before then.
From a totally layman's point of view the EBV results would seem to indicate the virus is playing a role, whether that it secondary to the Lyme BB Iam not so sure, or whether you can categorically state from the tests which infection is more prevalent etc.
Like you maryb Iam also hoping to pursue IV antibio's for BB, but want to be as sure as I can that this is the correct course of action based on the tests results at hand.

bertiedog

@Spiderbaby You might like to read Klingdhardt's views on Lyme and everything that can along with it. His views are similar to Dr Horowitz who has treated thousands of patients with Lyme and what turns out in his view to be a multi systemic infectious disease. This often involves heavy metal poisoning, endocrine abnormalities, detoxification problems, genetic issues, chronic infections, yeasts and molds.

I have to say that this model fits my illness but of course it won't be the case for everyone. Klingdhardt says the viruses are the last things to treat and that anti-virals on their own won't work unless all the other problems are addressed. Its certainly been a very long road for me.

Pam

Hip

I don't know if this helps:
Epstein-Barr virus antibodies.

Dr A Martin Lerner says that a positive diagnosis of Epstein-Barr virus infection requires a positive EBV-EA diffuse test, and/or a positive EBV-VCA IgM test.1

Note that:
VCA = virus capsid antigen (also denoted by CA)
EA = early antigen
EBNA = Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen

Source: here.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Its my intention to discuss the Infectolab EBV results with him during my next consultation, but I wanted to get as much knowledge about their implications as stand alone tests, as well as what they may mean for my current treatment protocol and overall recovery before then. From a totally layman's point of view the EBV results would seem to indicate the virus is playing a role, whether that it secondary to the Lyme BB I am not so sure, or whether you can categorically state from the tests which infection is more prevalent etc.

@Spiderbaby I also have a chronic re-activated EBV infection but I do not know how to interpret your tests as every lab uses their own numbers and measurements. I don't know if this helps but I tested positive for EBV on IgG, IgM, Early Antigen, EBNA, and Viral capsid antigen. I had mono almost 2.5 yrs ago so my Dr said this was proof of re-activation.

I do not see KDM or have Lyme but I do think you should talk to him about it as IMO each additional stressor on the body plays a role. I am now taking Famvir for the EBV but don't know if this is something that for you must be done after Lyme treatments vs. concurrently?

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Spiderbaby
maybe look at Klinghardts/Horowitz stuff. would you be better doing the Lyme treatment first?? I'm not up to reading large amounts of stuff but I will look it out when I'm feeling better. It makes sense to hit the bacteria first to me though.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@maryb Sorry if my last post was confusing and I think when you tagged me, you meant to tag @Spiderbaby.

I was responding to his question re: how and whether to treat EBV and Lyme in conjunction and I have EBV so sharing my experience w/those tests & treatment but do not have Lyme.

Hi again guys,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions, its interesting when it comes to the whole issue of co-infections as to which ones to treat first, or simultaneously or whether something that is considered a co-infection might be in fact the primary infection in the first place.
Based on my own experiences and testing to date I will just have to assess how well my Lyme treatment is progressing with KDM, and whether I may have to consider tackling the EBV alongside my current abx regime.