• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is it worth taking hydroxocobolomin alongside methyl supps?

BadBadBear

I'm confused about this. I have mutations that might make me sensitive to methyl supps. However, I don't take huge doses of methyl-B's and I don't have any problems other than huge need for supplemental potassium... I have been on methylation protocol for 16 months or so.

Spread through the day, I take 1-2 mg. mB12, sometimes 1.5 mg adB12, and at least 800 mcg mFolate (hope I got the units right, sorry if not!).

So what I'm wondering is if it's worth adding hydroxocobolomin to this, possibly at night to avoid any possible stimulation from methyl donors? Will hydrox help or harm?

I would like to try increasing methyl supps as well, as I feel like I am running out of 'something' mid-day. However, my homocysteine level is at 5, and I am not sure if increasing methyl supps will drive that further down, which seems undesirable.

Any suggestions for approaching this? Is hydroxyB12 worth adding or not since I tolerate mB12 just fine??

Freddd

I'm confused about this. I have mutations that might make me sensitive to methyl supps. However, I don't take huge doses of methyl-B's and I don't have any problems other than huge need for supplemental potassium... I have been on methylation protocol for 16 months or so.

Spread through the day, I take 1-2 mg. mB12, sometimes 1.5 mg adB12, and at least 800 mcg mFolate (hope I got the units right, sorry if not!).

So what I'm wondering is if it's worth adding hydroxocobolomin to this, possibly at night to avoid any possible stimulation from methyl donors? Will hydrox help or harm?

I would like to try increasing methyl supps as well, as I feel like I am running out of 'something' mid-day. However, my homocysteine level is at 5, and I am not sure if increasing methyl supps will drive that further down, which seems undesirable.

Any suggestions for approaching this? Is hydroxyB12 worth adding or not since I tolerate mB12 just fine??

Hi BadBadBear,

HyCbl is less than 1% as active as MeCbl. It is only effective to the extent of about 10mcg of HyCbl that is converted. When a person is getting their methylation and ATP back working they are going to feel the difference between the bottom of the compost heap and sitting on top. If things are going well and you have some neurological brightening why not let it run as it is? Healing takes years. HyCbl will compete with MeCbl and AdoCbl and reduce the effectiveness of both. I think this says it all "I tolerate mB12 just fine".

Last edited:

BadBadBear

Hi Freddd,

Thank you for the reply. I will just up my mB12 a tad and see how it goes.

Oddly, I just got a new batch of mB12 in this afternoon - the Solgar version which I have not tried before. I've been cold all day and after popping in a sublingual, I'm finally warm!!

Does mB12 have a shelf life? I wonder if my old batch sat too long before I used it?

BadBadBear

Ok, yeah, this mB12 is working MUCH better than my last batch. I rode my bike a ways and noticed a distinct feeling of it not being any effort. It was strange. Good, but strange!

whodathunkit

@BadBadBear: try to keep it out of the light. Keep it in a cool cabinet. Even a brown bottle lets in some light and mB12 is very sensitive to light.

Great news about your new endurance! :)

BadBadBear

@BadBadBear: try to keep it out of the light. Keep it in a cool cabinet. Even a brown bottle lets in some light and mB12 is very sensitive to light.

Great news about your new endurance! :)

Thanks! I will be sure not to buy ahead or buy on sale!!

I found some info online that old methyl B12 converts to less active forms. My old stuff must be at least partially converted.

I went ahead and took a longer 35 minute ride since I was feeling good, and that went well, too. The hills are still hills, but there was definitely less of a leaden feeling in my legs. (I think leaden is a word?)

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

Thank you for the reply. I will just up my mB12 a tad and see how it goes.

Oddly, I just got a new batch of mB12 in this afternoon - the Solgar version which I have not tried before. I've been cold all day and after popping in a sublingual, I'm finally warm!!

Does mB12 have a shelf life? I wonder if my old batch sat too long before I used it?

They all have an expiration date. Usually they make vitamins a little hot so that they are still at or above the labeled amount at the end date. Dry B12 appears pretty stable. It is more sensitive to light than heat. I keep my unused bottles in a dark room in the basement which rarely gets above 75 degrees even in the summer and is cool in the winter.

I put this on another thread, http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sugar-free-methylb12-tablets.31849/ and my post is about how to do relative effectiveness tests among brands. You would use the Solgar as your basis to test against unless you found one that does better.

BadBadBear

Thanks Freddd. I checked my exp. dates, and none of the stuff I had should have been out of date. However, it had been open for quite a while. I store in my basement, too. :)

I will just stick with the Solgar for now - I felt like the Jarrow was iffy, I didn't like another brand I tried, and Enz. T has too much sugar for me. I'll just buy what I am going to use in a month or so - I think I prefer it 'hot'. :D