• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Duration of fatigue

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Could you please specify what happens after a bowel movement, thanks.

Only talking from personal experience, but sometimes after a BM I am suddenly stronger and feeling altogether better, but sometimes I am suddenly weak, shaky and out of breath. The suggests strongly to me that the state of (part of?) the bowel has a strong influence on our (or at least my) symptoms, especially PEM. When you have a bowel movement, the environment in different parts of the bowel changes. It may be to do with pH, or gut flora, or other things. I only know what I experience.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
That happens to me too sometimes, when I have a BM, sometimes a large and quick one, it leaves me drained! This suggests that a lot of energy is utilized to move all the bowels, and since we have so little, that will explain the draining. Cannot explain the feeling stronger after a BM though. Probably false energy that comes on after any adrenalin rush, like sometimes patients feel better after a short run, but then, a day or two later, the fatigue inevitably sets in.

MeSci

That happens to me too sometimes, when I have a BM, sometimes a large and quick one, it leaves me drained! This suggests that a lot of energy is utilized to move all the bowels, and since we have so little, that will explain the draining. Cannot explain the feeling stronger after a BM though. Probably false energy that comes on after any adrenalin rush, like sometimes patients feel better after a short run, but then, a day or two later, the fatigue inevitably sets in.

I disagree with your interpretation, at least of the improving strength and well-being. I am very familiar with the adrenaline-type jittery nervous energy and can usually differentiate it from a healthy feeling of strength and energy. The improvement I get after some BMs is lasting, sometimes for hours or more, and includes improvement in a range of health aspects such as congestion.

I don't know why you seem to want to dismiss the gut-brain connections such as the vagus nerve, which are very strong. The gut has its own 'brain' and immune system and of course an enormous variety and number of non-human microbes.

MeSci

I disagree with your interpretation, at least of the improving strength and well-being. I am very familiar with the adrenaline-type jittery nervous energy and can usually differentiate it from a healthy feeling of strength and energy. The improvement I get after some BMs is lasting, sometimes for hours or more, and includes improvement in a range of health aspects such as congestion.

I don't know why you seem to want to dismiss the gut-brain connections such as the vagus nerve, which are very strong. The gut has its own 'brain' and immune system and of course an enormous variety and number of non-human microbes.

In fact I sometimes feel weak and adrenaliney at the same time after a BM, as just now! My 'adrenaline rush' perceptions definitely don't correlate closely with my strength or energy levels. They often just involve tremor, pounding heart, sweating, etc. No - it is the change in gut environment that causes the changes in strength, energy and well-being, I'm sure.

In fact I sometimes feel weak and adrenaliney at the same time after a BM, as just now! My 'adrenaline rush' perceptions definitely don't correlate closely with my strength or energy levels. They often just involve tremor, pounding heart, sweating, etc. No - it is the change in gut environment that causes the changes in strength, energy and well-being, I'm sure.
my whole mental outlook often changes from gloom to brightness after a BM and sometimes the reverse. It's confounding and disturbing.

MeSci

my whole mental outlook often changes from gloom to brightness after a BM and sometimes the reverse. It's confounding and disturbing.

I find it fascinating and challenging! :)

There was discussion about gut and mood in this enormous thread, for example this post, which may hold the answer - lipopolysaccharides (LPS) produced during gut dysbiosis (imbalance of gut flora) can stop serotonin from being produced.

Don't bother reading the whole thread but you may find useful posts by searching the thread for 'tryptophan' or 'serotonin'.

drob31

I have found that if I stay away from doing exersize for a little while, then I have a good day with almost no fatigue. However if I exersize, I may feel good the next day, exersize again, and then maybe the next day as well. However, it starts catching up on day 4, 5, and 6.