• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are 'Psychological Processes"?

Cheesus

Please define psychological processes.

While I can't give an exact definition, as a rough outline I would say psychological processes are those processes that transfer the arising and falling away of objective phenomena into internal experience.

lansbergen

While I can't give an exact definition, as a rough outline I would say psychological processes are those processes that transfer the arising and falling away of objective phenomena into internal experience.

Can you give an excample?

Cheesus

Can you give an excample?

I could. But i am wary of the direction this is heading. Do you have a point to prove or are you just interested? I am not keen to being dragged into a semantical debate regarding an off the cuff definition of the term 'psychological processes'.

If you want to know more about psychology and how it is used within the BPS model I am sure there a various good resources online.

lansbergen

I could. But i am wary of the direction this is heading. Do you have a point to prove or are you just interested? I am not keen to being dragged into a semantical debate regarding an off the cuff definition of the term 'psychological processes'.

I have no idea what you mean by psychological processes and if I don't ask I will never know.

lansbergen

I recommend that third link down from Ask.com

In my browser it is the second but I assume you mean this.

Psychological processes refers to an activity that is ongoing and takes place in relation to the person involving joint contribution of mental, physiological, physical and social activities. Key psychological processes are thinking, motivation learning, memory, sensation, perception and emotion. They are emergent as they unfold in the daily life of human beings in their interactions.

Cheesus

I have no idea what you mean by psychological processes and if I don't ask I will never know.

I will try to be a bit less of a dick.

When I used the term, I meant it to describe the ongoing and ever-evolving psychological relationship we have with our surroundings and our internal experience. When phenomena arises it is an objective occurrence, however it must pass through the veil of the psyche before it reaches us, and in doing so it is twisted to fit into our understanding of ourselves and the world around us. We perceive the occurrence in the context of our historical exposures to similar occurrences.

For example, I am at work and my boss glances over at me. Objectively all that happened was that my boss's eyes were momentarily pointing in my direction. However based on historical knowledge I might perceive it as being: critical of my work; as a benign look around the office; as a flirtatious pass; as a look of approval; etc. I will then have an appropriate emotional reaction relative to the initial reaction. I might then start up a dialogue with myself like "Oh I am going to get lucky later" or "Oh god why am I so crap at my work" and so on.

The reason this is a process is because it is ever evolving and is never static. It is very similar to physiological processes: how our body processes exertion or digests foods, for instance. Psychological processes can impact the pathogenesis of disease. How this might occur exists on a spectrum. The importance of psychological processes are very obvious in illnesses such as anorexia, a little less obvious in illness such as type II diabetes, and perhaps rather opaque in something like autoimmunity.

lansbergen

Key psychological processes are thinking, motivation learning, memory, sensation, perception and emotion. .

You might be suprised how many of these are biological.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmt12

You might be suprised how many of these are biological.
I will take the bait for one reply with little expectation of changing your mind.

Neuroscience completely ignores anything that may occur prior to what they can observe in brain activity so in their view the thinking process goes:
Brain change -> mental state

But in actuality if I want to think about something it goes like this:
Intention (mind) -> brain change -> mental state

If you agree with me that in order to have a CONSCIOUS thought, that you first have to have intention, then it is not unreasonable to think that it is a similar process on a subconscious level like in the example of the glance that Cheesus mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

xchocoholic

Hi. I'm just curious. Would knowing this benefit pwcs ? If so how ?

I can readily see how anorexia is based on perception. And I understood that the bosses glance analogy is based on our perception from prior experiences or hopes.

So are you saying our perception of how our bodies function is affecting our performance ? You never see an athlete start a marathon by yawning and complaining of being tired. Lol.

This seems to be what UK cbt is all about, no ? Only they're encouraging complete denial of physical symptoms.

But is there something pwcs could learn from harnessing our motivation, like an athlete preparing for a marathon, in a realistic manner ?

Tx ... x

Ps. I'm not trying to cause a war here. Just trying to understand how our minds influence our behavior.

Last edited:

cmt12

Hi. I'm just curious. Would knowing this benefit pwcs ? If so how ?

I can readily see how anorexia is based on perception. And I understood that the bosses glance analogy is based on our perception from prior experiences or hopes.

So are you saying our perception of how our bodies function is affecting our performance ? You never see an athlete start a marathon by yawning and complaining of being tired. Lol.

This seems to be what UK cbt is all about, no ? Only they're encouraging complete denial of physical symptoms.

But is there something pwcs could learn from harnessing our motivation, like an athlete preparing for a marathon, in a realistic manner ?

Tx ... x

Ps. I'm not trying to cause a war here. Just trying to understand how our minds influence our behavior.
This is not an easy topic to talk about without it getting into a philosophical debate, which I don't want to happen. How this topic applies to our situation is to ask can our perception or reaction to our symptoms cause them to worsen? More specifically, can fearful reactions to our symptoms cause a downward spiral that continues for as long as we continue to react fearfully.

Let me use the example of a panic attack to make my point. This is based on my personal view. A panic attack is an extreme fear response that is disproportional compared to what you would normally expect right? Let's say someone gets panic attacks when they think about heights. Now, this person might already have a stronger fear response towards heights based on a traumatic childhood fall. But how can this strong fear response develop into regular panic attacks? It is often based on their reaction to the fear response. Let's say this person has to get on a plane the next day and their default fear response when stepping on the plane is an 8 out of 10. That night they are feeling some anxiety but instead of separating from it, they allow themselves to get swept away in it and the anxiety snowballs all night. Beyond being fearful about the plane, they also begin to feel fearful of their own fear response, afraid they might have a panic attack. The next day when they step on the plane, instead of the response being an 8 out of 10, it is now a 10 out of 10 and they have a panic attack. From this point on, they are so afraid of their fear response, so afraid of getting a panic attack, that they don't allow themselves to even think about planes or anything else involving heights, which keeps them trapped in this extreme state due to denial instead of improving through safe, grounded exposure. When someone even mentions a plane trip, it can cause this person to have a panic attack.

Does that make sense? This person already had a strong default fear response to heights, but it was their reaction to it that caused the development of regular panic attacks. Similarly, I believe that how we feel in our bodies can have a potentially negative effect when it comes to our ME symptoms. This is especially true with this condition because not only do we have a lot of symptoms, but there is a lot of uncertainty. There is the uncertainty about cause/treatment and there is also the uncertainty about what or how much we can expose ourselves to. This can cause someone to sort of tip-toe in their body and constantly feel insecure and unsafe, which causes more stress and a stronger fear response, resulting in worsening symptoms and decreased functionality - a downward spiral.

The question is how much control do we have, not over our baseline symptoms, but over our reactions to these symptoms? Mindfulness, CBT, and other self awareness techniques can be useful in this regard. With all that said, there is another group who thinks all this talk about mind having any affect on biology is not real.

Last edited:

alex3619

Now that this thread is separated I am happy to respond.