• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mother cleared of attempted murder

Min

excellent coverage here:

http://www.itv.com/meridian-east/no-help-for-me-victim89950/

(advert first)

"No help for ME victim?
6.29PM Mon Jan 25 2010

But the question is - why was Lynn Gilderdale so desperate to end her life, where was the medical support? And why was her mother left to care for her daughter alone?.

Our Health Correspondent Stacey Poole has been talking to those who knew her, including a friend - who is also suffering from ME.
By: Stacey Poole"

Nina

excellent coverage here:

(advert first)

"No help for ME victim?
6.29PM Mon Jan 25 2010

But the question is - why was Lynn Gilderdale so desperate to end her life, where was the medical support? And why was her mother left to care for her daughter alone?.

Our Health Correspondent Stacey Poole has been talking to those who knew her, including a friend - who is also suffering from ME.

What a pity I can't watch the video from Germany!

We need 1,000 more reporters to ask this very question, all over the world!

God knows how many more severely ill ME sufferers are going through the same thing as we speak! This must end!!

Countrygirl

Lynn paralyzed by GET-type treatment

I don't recall it being mentioned here, but Dr Annie Macintyre in the documentary she made of Lynn, reported that she had become paralyzed after being forced to over-exercise during a hospital admission in the initial stages of her illness. This has not been mentioned in any of the newspapers I have seen. They do report the sexual abuse she experienced by a doctor in hospital and the fact that they botched an op and punctured her lung.

It is reported in some papers that 75% recover ! and that 'Yuppie flu' :eek:( the Daily Mail) is accepted as a genuine illness.It was stated that only a 'few' become severely ill. I think it was the Telegraph (I only had the opportunity for a quick skim) mentioned that XMRV had been thought to be associated with the illness, but a British study had found this not to be so. So that's all right then. :( Are there any of our positive folk prepared to write to the papers in reply? They won't print your name if you ask for it to be withheld.

The overall impression I had was that the public perception is that ME is a physical illness (I was rather surprised), although at least one of the 'quality' papers stated that it was initiated by depression, job stress or by a viral trigger.

One very important point: has anyone heard anything of Lynn's PM results? I expect Dr Charles Shepherd will know. I wonder if Lynn had inflammation of the spinal cord, like Sophia? I do hope Kay will be prepared to share that, although it is very private information.

Min

" although Lynn had made a Will stating her wishes that her organs and tissues should be used after her death, her mother was in police custody and was unable to ensure that Lynns wishes were carried out at the time. The only organ that was retrieved immediately after Lynns death was the brain, and this was sent to Kings College Hospital, London (where Simon Wessely works)"

from

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/A_NICE_DILEMMA.htm

.......so we'll never know what was actually wrong with her

Countrygirl

=Min;39368]" although Lynn had made a Will stating her wishes that her organs and tissues should be used after her death, her mother was in police custody and was unable to ensure that Lynns wishes were carried out at the time. The only organ that was retrieved immediately after Lynns death was the brain, and this was sent to Kings College Hospital, London (where Simon Wessely works)"

from http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/A_NICE_DILEMMA.ht

.......so we'll never know what was actually wrong with her

Thank you for that, Min. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work. What I want to know is why were her wishes not carried out if they were stated in her Will? I really do not see why this happened. It would have been so important to Lynn and it is terrible that her request was not carried out. What has King's done with her brain I wonder? I am not hopeful that anything will come of this.

The situation reminds me of a friend of mine who was very severely ill with ME. She also decided to commit suicide and her husband had to help her by mashing up medications in food and feeding her with it. After she died, he called the police and then was arrested. However, the PM showed that she had died of a pulmonary embolism before the drugs had taken full affect, so he was not charged. This was in the early 1990s. My friend also asked for her brain to be donated to ME research. A year later, when her husband asked for the results he was informed that the hospital had 'lost' the brain and no tests had been undertaken.

starryeyes

excellent coverage here:

(advert first)

"No help for ME victim?
6.29PM Mon Jan 25 2010

This video won't play in the U.S. I already told someone else here that posted this yesterday that it won't play for us and asked if someone who can see it can write up some of the statements that are in it but I haven't had a chance to see if there were replies. It would be really nice if someone would do that for those of us that can't see it. *Bats eyelashes*. :D

That's terrible that Lynn's body wasn't taken for research after she requested it and her brain went to Simon Wessely? I don't understand that. Why would they send her brain to a psychiatrist?

Countrygirl

=Min;39408]sorry Countrygirl, I've fixed the link now

Thanks Min. I Googled and found it. Then I read the rest of the article ..........it's a very good way of remedying hypotension!

Countrygirl

This video won't play in the U.S. I already told someone else here that posted this yesterday that it won't play for us and asked if someone who can see it can write up some of the statements that are in it but I haven't had a chance to see if there were replies. It would be really nice if someone would do that for those of us that can't see it. *Bats eyelashes*. :D
I hear you teejay. I set out to do this for you earlier, but I have such painful eyes I cannot read the screen to write more than a short paragraph or two. :( It is an excellent piece, so will do so when I can see, if no one else has by then.

Countrygirl

That's terrible that Lynn's body wasn't taken for research after she requested it and her brain went to Simon Wessely? I don't understand that. Why would they send her brain to a psychiatrist?

He's in need of one.

starryeyes

CG wrote: I hear you teejay. I set out to do this for you earlier, but I have such painful eyes I cannot read the screen to write more than a short paragraph or two. :( It is an excellent piece, so will do so when I can see, if no one else has by then.

Thanks for trying CG and for being willing to try again later if needed. I really appreciate that. :hug: I'll let you know if someone else does it.

lol at your joke!! What's that? You weren't joking? ;)

tee

liverock

Theres no mystery about what triggered the ME according to the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...was-condemned-to-a-life-lived-from-a-bed.html

She swam, she cycled, she played the clarinet and, like a typical teenager, enjoyed spending time with her friends.

But in November 1991, that life came shuddering to an end.

She came home from Uplands School in Wadhurst, East Sussex, after a fairly ordinary day, which included a routine inoculation against tuberculosis, and felt unwell.

She never recovered.

Flu was followed by bronchitis, tonsillitis and glandular fever and within three months, her life had changed beyond all recognition.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/c...is_needed_to_reassure_parents_about_vaccines/

More Research is Needed to Reassure Parents about Vaccines

By Cassandra Jardine
Last updated: December 9th, 2008

Seventeen years ago Lynn Gilderdale suddenly became bedridden with myalgic encephalopathy (ME) after being vaccinated against tuberculosisTB. Until then she had been a healthy, sporty 14 year old. Afterwards she endured constant pain and sickness. In terms of timing her illness certainly suggests that there could be a link between ME and the vaccination but is there any reason to be alarmed?

There may be a possible link between vaccines and ME but the connection is believed to be the aluminium used as a preservative, says Dr Roger Halvorsen, author The Trusth about Vaccines. In fact no aluminium is used in the TB vaccine because it is live; nor is it used with MMR for the same reason. Most other vaccines do contain aluminium and research has found the metal deposited in the muscles of some people who have gone on to develop weak muscles and painful joints key symptoms of ME.

JABS, the support group for parents who believe their chidlren have been vaccine damaged have been contacted about a number of teenagers who have developed epilepsy and ME following the TB vaccine. Teenagers arent now generally give TB vaccine, which is given to babies in areas where there is a high incidence of the disease. As with everything to do with vaccines, the case of Lynn Gilderdale highlights the need for further research.

The medical and pharmaceutical establishments remains reluctant to explore such links. Only last week a coroner dismissed any link to the MMR vaccine in the case of a George Fisher, an 18-month-old child who died ten days after being vaccinated. The child has previous suffered a febrile convulsion, which the vaccine is known to bring on in a minority of cases, but the coroners verdict was natural causes. He may be right, but further investigation would reassure parents.

The medical profession should be made to explore links between vaccinations and ME whether they like it or not.

ME/CFS seems to have grown since the advent of multi vaccinations especially in the younger generation.

One very important point: has anyone heard anything of Lynn's PM results? I expect Dr Charles Shepherd will know. I wonder if Lynn had inflammation of the spinal cord, like Sophia? I do hope Kay will be prepared to share that, although it is very private information.

I heard from a friend of Lynn's family that she had the identical inflammation of the spinal cord like the late Sophia Mirza.

froufox

Yes I agree too I wish there was more research into this but like with ME as a whole there is a dearth of funding for research into this area.

Theres no mystery about what triggered the ME according to the Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...was-condemned-to-a-life-lived-from-a-bed.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/c...is_needed_to_reassure_parents_about_vaccines/

More Research is Needed to Reassure Parents about Vaccines

By Cassandra Jardine
Last updated: December 9th, 2008

The medical profession should be made to explore links between vaccinations and ME whether they like it or not.

ME/CFS seems to have grown since the advent of multi vaccinations especially in the younger generation.

Min

idiotic article here:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/a...eme-can-be-real-and-catastrophic/#postComment

"Discussion of what causes CFS is an incredibly delicate area because feelings run so high. One thing I find a bit irritating, though, is the obsession with finding a physical cause. Whenever you hear the many vocal and articulate advocates for the illness on Womans Hour, for instance, they talk as if CFS can only be real and bona fide and respectable if its a 100 per cent physical illness. They sometimes talk as if mental illnesses arent equally real and thats insulting to the mentally ill. (I dont think the confusion over nomenclature helps matters, either. ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) might sound authentically scientific, but it describes something inflammation of the brain and spinal cord that isnt actually seen very often in sufferers.)

CFS advocates sometimes imply that if the illness was shown to be psychogenic, it would be tantamount to saying it was all in the mind and therefore imaginary. But mental illnesses are not imaginary just because they affect the brain, where the mind is based. Theyre really just as much a matter of biology as so-called physical illnesses. The only difference is that mental illnesses involve the brain, which is a physical thing, as well as the mind, which is more of an idea. I am not, repeat not, saying there isnt a physical cause for CFS there may well be. Im just saying it would not make it any less real if in some cases it was shown to originate in the brain. It is a mistake to underestimate the power of the brain to affect the body."

Countrygirl

I heard from a friend of Lynn's family that she had the identical inflammation of the spinal cord like the late Sophia Mirza

Thank you for this bananaman. I hope it is put in the public domain.

Min

'How can they say I murdered Lynn when I just loved her so much?' Mother cleared of murdering her ME-stricken daughter speaks out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rdering-ME-stricken-daughter-speaks-Mail.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME case study: 'She told me that she did not want to carry on'

The mother of an ME sufferer tells Cahal Milmo how the condition debilitated her daughter

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...hat-she-did-not-want-to-carry-on-1879983.html