• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Everything i try makes my gut worse. Pleae help.

I highly suggest you look into a low fodmap diet. I have included a pdf from a recent medical abstract talking about fodmap diets and how they can be very beneficial.

Attachments

• fodmap.pdf
    174.3 KB · Views: 21

OkRadLakPok

Me, too. Gastritis and feels like a rock in stomach. Need to go to gastro, but I am tired of docs. Very depressed and fatigued.

Things that help are tea (green) and laying down.

Also hot water and eating sweet potatoes and bananas, the former very cooked and the latter ripe, I used to eat TONS of green bananas, and I think that made things worse.

Best is Manuka honey, raw. I used to take lots of supplements and I cannot do any of them now because I react to most. but the honey still helps.

well you are going to have to take some chances otherwise you will probably not progress outside where you are right now. check xifixan for sibo, if that is what you truly have. Also its hard to eat low carb/ starch on a veg diet so you may truly need to change that or accept how you feel. Paleo will help your bowels it just takes time.

Maybe look into the Gaps diet, the science behind it is not really all there but there is alot to be said for overwhelming/straving your gut flora and totally replacing it with good bacteria.

Natural antibiotics will do nothing for sibo with the exception or oregano oil, and even that should be combined with antibiotics. Grape seed extract is useless. Xifixan with flagyl/alinia is the most promising new treatment for sibo.

Good luck and email me with any questions.

South

M ... I used to eat TONS of green bananas, and I think that made things worse.

Was there some reason why you used to eat tons of green bananas? since they generally don't taste very good, I wondered if you had some purpose in mind for eating that many of them.

I'm also curious because in another forum here on PR, people are actually advocating green bananas (although I'm not sure I agree fully with the idea).

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My stomach issues pretty much resolved after a month in Spain over the winter. I thought long and hard about what was different in Spain and these were what I came up with

No brown/wholemeal bread - I just eat occasional white bread
No soya apart from Tofu
No Quorn - not eating quorn products also cured my daughter and husbands nausea.
No vegetable juices
Very limited eggs - only in cooking occasionally

the only other thing we did differently was bottled water only - I have gone back to tap water here and stomach still OK. pain, bloating, nausea, gnarling hunger, trapped wind all gone and very rare flare ups. This is after years of feeling like I was constantly getting stomach bugs.

I will not be eating meat or going paleo - nothing could make me endure how awful I felt on the Paleo diet.

BTW I also found ripe bananas good when my stomach was very bad - my herbalist also advocated lots of cooked apples - I think there is now some research and a thread on PR discussing this.

All the best
Justy.

justy

Also wanted to add, taking No meds or supplements at all currently. I think taking so many supplements was not helping my gut at all, and most interventions I have tried have made me sicker in general. Not doing anything seems to reset my body to a level I can just about cope with.

sianrecovery

Glad it improved. Quorn is awful stuff, glad you cut it out.

I've had years of gut stuff. Early stool tests showed Blastocytosis - have had many abx since then - am about to do the doctors data test to try and get a sense of what is going on. If I had the money, I would do the Cyrex test - I exclude gluten, dairy and yeast, but suspect I am still cross-reacting.

Check out Niki Gratrix's articles on gluten intolerance on the Health Rising site maybe xxxx

Leopardtail

Hi, ongoing gut problems still. Had over a year of very bad gastritis and 16 months of PPI - been totally weaned off that for about 6 months now.

Had ongoing IBS type symptoms for years, but no official diagnosis of IBS. Gastritis now ok stomach pain not high up any longer.

Symptoms: left abdominal pain - medium and extreme lower left abdomen. Grumbling noises waking me at night, exteme trapped wind, worse at night than day. Tendency towards constipation, but able to go every day. Incomplete evacuation - mornings a nightmare afraid to go out as I have to keep going two or three times up until mid day.

Dr Myhill says I have upper fermenting gut (is that the same as SIBO) she has diagnosed based on Genova diagnostics digestive panel - which didn't show up anything particularly remarkable. and symptoms.

She prescribed metronizadole 200mg once a day working up to 3 times a day over about 6 weeks and then going down to once or twice a week, plus paleo diet strictly no carbs and betaine HCL with meals.

I have discussed this elsewhere, but as I am very sensitive to all changes and most things I have tried make me worse I thought I would try very slowly (and I am going to spain for a month on Friday and don't want to get worse)

I started with diet (again!) I am a vegetarian and I DO NOT eat meant apart from fish. The paleo diet with small amount fo carb as evening meal screwed my stomach up so bad after one week that I had to stop. Am scared of the antibiotics as im sure it was 14 courses of antibiotics over 12 months (2008/2009) that set my stomach off again.

I gre some kefir on soya (not allowed dairy on diet) but this also made stomach worse.

Gave up on everything again, stopped all supps and diets, stomach gradually improved to my normal.

Tried juicing after watching fantastic documentary - Fat sick and nearly dead (worth a watch free online) Didn't want to do only juicing as not really well enough so tried replacing just breakfast with juice. This has now also screwed my stomach up - terrible pain and wind. Pain is very bad right down low on left side in from hip. Have had a scan to rule out kidney stones and ovarian etc problems. Scan ok.

Now I don't know where to begin or what to do. Everyhting I try seems to make it worse. The only thing that has helped about 4 years ago was anti candida diet (had it systemically in oesophageous etc) and this calmed things down a bit, however I believe the high doses of caprylic acid and vit c (ascorbic acid) I was taking may have caused the subsequent gastritis.

Any suggestions or advice needs to be simple, gentle, and vegetarian (I eat fish) I cannot do wahls, bone broth etc. What simple things can I slowly do that will help?

All the best, Justy.
Some obvious questions here:
  1. have you done the bicarb test for stomach acid?
  2. when you eat, do you get rapid pain once the food passes your stomach?
  3. do you get pain that radiates out from that left side following food?
  4. when you get infections do you produce mucous as normal or is the amount/consistency changed?
Leo

Last edited:

justy

Hi @Leopardtail since changing my diet last winter and adding in lactulose for the constipation (mild) I now no longer seem to have many stomach woes at all.

The gastritis is long since healed after a year on omeprazole.

All I changed in my diet was that is stopped eating wholemeal bread and switched to occasional white bread products and stopped eating eggs.

I have since found out that I have an intolerance to chiken eggs, and I was eating a lot of them as I was trying to do vegetarian paleo style diet and it really made me worse.

I now eat a relatively normal healthy vegetarian diet, but without the eggs, brown bread and quorn products. We also found that cutting out the Quorn cleared up my husband and daughters stomach woes.

I have just had testing wwith KDM and he says I just have a mild Dysbiosis - no nasty bugs, but a few that are missing that should be there - he hasn't started me on any treatment for my gut, but is focusing on the immune instead as mine is so poor.

Leopardtail

Hi @Leopardtail since changing my diet last winter and adding in lactulose for the constipation (mild) I now no longer seem to have many stomach woes at all.

The gastritis is long since healed after a year on omeprazole.

All I changed in my diet was that is stopped eating wholemeal bread and switched to occasional white bread products and stopped eating eggs.

I have since found out that I have an intolerance to chiken eggs, and I was eating a lot of them as I was trying to do vegetarian paleo style diet and it really made me worse.

I now eat a relatively normal healthy vegetarian diet, but without the eggs, brown bread and quorn products. We also found that cutting out the Quorn cleared up my husband and daughters stomach woes.

I have just had testing wwith KDM and he says I just have a mild Dysbiosis - no nasty bugs, but a few that are missing that should be there - he hasn't started me on any treatment for my gut, but is focusing on the immune instead as mine is so poor.
I never tried the paleo diet under myhill's instruction, but did try 'anti-candida' some years ago that was very similar. I found I go severe stomach upset with soya products and almond milk. I too was considered for 'low stomach acid' and 'dysbiosis' by Myhill but knew if not to be the case (the stomach acid at least). No idea if I have all the good bacteria present though.

I am pleased to hear your stomach is feeling better. One thing you said though: are you now evacuating your bowels fully?

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I too was considered for 'low stomach acid' and 'dysbiosis' by Myhill but knew if not to be the case (the stomach acid at least). No idea if I have all the good bacteria present though.

If you don't have all the good bacteria, that surely means that you do have dysbiosis.

Leopardtail

If you don't have all the good bacteria, that surely means that you do have dysbiosis.
Well, my digestion seems to be pretty good, I seem to absorb vitamins well, I absorb minerals well, I have no HS2 odour - colour and constancy would make the poo doctor glow with appreciation. I am sure I have few or little bad bacteria. As yet I have shown no change whatsoever with a wide variety of 'probiotics'. The only thing I wonder about is whether I may have a slight imbalance of good bacteria, the comment was only an acknowledgement that a mild imbalance might not show up symptomatically or in terms of absorption. It needs to be stressed though that I now have very few bowel problems compared to many with ME, and such issues as I have seem thyroid related. Hope that cleared things up, and your point taken about any dis-clarity.

Leo