• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Ian Lipkin's $1.27m gut microbiome study - crowdfunding campaign - news and updates

Bob

In March, Dr Lipkin attended the 2014 Stanford ME/CFS Symposium, and made a presentation about his wide-ranging ME/CFS research program. The video has been made available and can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/microbediscovery/posts/683621328373571

For Dr Lipkin's presentation, see video 5, and watch from 47:40 or 56:15 (the start time varies, depending on your browser software.)

Last edited:

Bob

The Microbe Discovery Project team said:
Together, we are making a difference to ME/CFS research! Thank you to everyone who has made a donation and helped this crowdfunding campaign in other ways.

With over $95,000 raised so far, this is enough to fund 14 participants in Dr. Ian Lipkin's (and his team at the Center for Infection and Immunity) study of the gut microbiome in ME/CFS.

Please continue to help us to spread the word about this crowdfunding campaign with your friends and family, around social media, in your support groups and elsewhere. We are approaching $100,000 - let's aim to reach this quickly to demonstrate ME/CFS community's support for Dr. Lipkin's project.

Please visit our website www.microbediscovery.org for more information. To donate, please go to www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin.

14 participants.png

Bob

The Microbe Discovery Project team said:
Thank you to Anna who has donated all June profits from the sales of her book "150 Tips for Everyday Living with ME/CFS: Easier Ways with Personal Care, Cooking, Cleaning, Shopping and More" to Dr. Lipkin and his team at Columbia University towards the proposed large study of the role of the gut microbiome in ME/CFS.

Anna writes: "I wrote this book to be of practical help to other people with ME and am giving 100% of the profits to biomedical research. I'm very, very excited about Dr Lipkin's involvement in ME research and am donating all the profits in 2014 to the Microbe Discovery Project."

Anna has donated a total of $146.60 so far. Thank you!

Anna.png

Bob

Dr Lipkin's ME/CFS appeal video now has subtitles in various languages (Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, German & Italian.) All versions of the appeal video can be found on the project's website, here: http://www.microbediscovery.org/videos/

Also, the project's website has various language sections (Čeština, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Nederlands.) For these sections, please see the options at the top-right of the website: http://www.microbediscovery.org

catly

I just completed a survey via email from Columbia from their Office of Alumni and Development regarding aimed at donors.

They sent me an email advising of the survey a few days earlier, which I thought was a good idea, so I had a heads up.

Having worked in positions where survey input was very important I always try to complete surveys on issues that I view as important to me.

It's sort of a tedious survey, but I thought it was important to stress my appreciation for Dr. Lipking and Mady Hornig's work on ME and to emphasize that this was my basis for donating.

If anyone else gets the survey, and you feel up to it, please respond and put a plug in for continued ME research at Columbia.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I also just filled it in and when they asked what Columbia could do to make me donate more, I said that they could fundraise for the Lipkin ME/CFS study.

@beaker did a whole number on them about how important the study is (can't find that thread now!).

i wish columbia university would stop sending me paper letters each time i make a donation. as i live outside the US the stamp says it costs a dollar, and that's is not including hardware and time involved. i always tick the box asking not to be sent one plus i even wrote it in the request section, it feels like a waste of money.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
i wish columbia university would stop sending me paper letters each time i make a donation. as i live outside the US the stamp says it costs a dollar, and that's is not including hardware and time involved. i always tick the box asking not to be sent one plus i even wrote it in the request section, it feels like a waste of money.

Hi turtle - the box is already ticked by default (the box asking not to be sent a paper receipt). Are you sure you're not clicking on it and therefore unticking it (the sort of thing I'm always doing)?

I got a paper acknowledgement for the first donation I sent but not since then. I think they introduced their "save a tree" efforts only within the last few months.

It's a pity they're not getting it right in your case - I hope they're getting it right most of the time, though!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Actually, that was a good reminder to make my monthly donation (three weeks into July - a bit late!).

The more I read about the microbiome, the more sense it makes to look there. What an amazing thing it would be for our disease to be leading the way in a new medical frontier rather than being thirty years behind.

thanks Sasha, and Rosie, yes i think i have done it right, but i will double check. it is only a minor amount but it is just frustrating when you are trying to put whatever you can into this project, albeit not a large amount, and they waste money on sending out thank you notes.

thanks Sasha, and Rosie, yes i think i have done it right, but i will double check. it is only a minor amount but it is just frustrating when you are trying to put whatever you can into this project, albeit not a large amount, and they waste money on sending out thank you notes.
I also got a letter after my donation. It does seem a waste of money. I hadn't realised there was box you could tick, not that makes any difference it seems.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I also got a letter after my donation. It does seem a waste of money. I hadn't realised there was box you could tick, not that makes any difference it seems.

The box is already ticked so if you don't notice it, you should be OK. The fact that two of you weren't suggests they've got a glitch - might be worth emailing them (if you've got the energy) to let them know - I'm sure they'd be grateful for a heads-up that there's a problem.

daisybell

The box is already ticked so if you don't notice it, you should be OK. The fact that two of you weren't suggests they've got a glitch - might be worth emailing them (if you've got the energy) to let them know - I'm sure they'd be grateful for a heads-up that there's a problem.

I got an email acknowledgement - and left the box re the written letter well alone.....