• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My methylfolate problem.

stridor

I don't have gut issues like some here. In spite of losing my colon, it really doesn't bother me much. No pain or inflammatory problems. My difficulties are all related to function - I have food sensitivities (improving except for gluten which is worse. I think the colon was a buffer) and I have problems absorbing some stuff.

Mostly I have no clue about what I do and do not absorb. But B2 (see A B2 Story) and methylfolate are ongoing reproducable problems for me.

I have tried to take mfolate capsules and nothing - I took 5 x 1000 mcg yesterday for example and I am still trying to recover. I only need about 1500 mcg a day when it's left in the buccal pouch every 3 hours (or more often if brain-fog increases).

I don't need support. I can't take probiotics - that does give me pain. What I want to tell people is that some may have a problem with absorption as well and to suggest that s.l. might be helpful. I notice a decrease in fog within minutes.

tdog333

do you take sublingual methylfolate? I think lot's of people in this community have impaired digestion(myself included). Maybe the sublingual will help? I might try it soon.

stridor

@Martial
I didn't even know it came in injectable ....or sublingual as far as that goes. I have always just opened the capsule and pour it in. I already take two shots of mB12 a day and add B complex to the morning shot. I seem to be sensitive to the half life and take mfolate a few times a day. I get pretty tired of this and every few months see if my gut is ready but it never seems to be. brad

Martial

@Martial
I didn't even know it came in injectable ....or sublingual as far as that goes. I have always just opened the capsule and pour it in. I already take two shots of mB12 a day and add B complex to the morning shot. I seem to be sensitive to the half life and take mfolate a few times a day. I get pretty tired of this and every few months see if my gut is ready but it never seems to be. brad

Yes, I have seen it at different various weight loss clinics, health practictioners, and I specifically suggested getting it in stock with my own nutritionist friend. It works very well to get folate levels covered but really fricken expensive, though so is two mb12 injections daily, how the heck do you afford all that! :O haha

stridor

@tdog333
I can keep it going for nearly an hour if I am not drinking anything and sometimes longer.
@Martial My health care is very expensive. I have averaged over 50 pills a day since 2007. As I head into retirement I worry about costs. I also did a lot of IV support trying to save my adrenals (didn't help) and I have no idea how much money I have spent but I have kicked the hell out of the retirement fund.
On the other hand, I retired the dx of Bipolar and have made 80+% recovery from ME/CFS.

You could do an inject-able form, I know several people in my area that give these shots.. Actually pretty common.
injectable METHYL-folate? i've only heard of injectable folic acid. man this would be like a godsend to me. lol
methyl-folate pills have been so hard on my stomach. its to the point its not even absorbing anymore, its just going in one end and out the other, quick.
Do you know of any specific locations where they do this at? i see you're from Ventura,Ca ; im in the Pasadena area myself. i would be down to go anywhere in So-cal to get these shots.

Martial

injectable METHYL-folate? i've only heard of injectable folic acid. man this would be like a godsend to me. lol
methyl-folate pills have been so hard on my stomach. its to the point its not even absorbing anymore, its just going in one end and out the other, quick.
Do you know of any specific locations where they do this at? i see you're from Ventura,Ca ; im in the Pasadena area myself. i would be down to go anywhere in So-cal to get these shots.

Oh yeah man! Here is a link!

There should be a sprouts near you they go to.

http://lab12shots.com/

It is 15 bucks a shot and they are relatively close to your area, they travel to different areas in Los Angela's. Pasadena is gorgeous by the way!

Freddd

@Martial

Hi Brad,

The serum halflife of Metafolin is about 3 hours, no matter how it is taken. I can get start getting symptoms if I miss a dose two days in a row. Sometimes it happens with only one missed dose. Injections and oral are no better, once absorbed it's the same serum halflife. An IM injection is fully absorbed within 30 minutes usually.

SeaShell

Hi Brad,

The serum halflife of Metafolin is about 3 hours, no matter how it is taken. I can get start getting symptoms if I miss a dose two days in a row. Sometimes it happens with only one missed dose. Injections and oral are no better, once absorbed it's the same serum halflife. An IM injection is fully absorbed within 30 minutes usually.

Hi Freddd,

So what is the best way to spread the Metafolin dose across the day? I take it three times a day but not close to bedtime as I have sleep problems and am not sure if the Metafolin will keep me awake.

Will taking several small doses, every few hours be better to ensure a steady half life of the Metafolin in the body?