• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recapturing Accidental Perfect Energy/Clear Thinking

Two weeks ago, I made a change to my supplement routine and accidentally had the best energy and clearing of brain fog EVER. I got so much accomplished. It lasted one week and then vanished overnight. I know how good I CAN feel so I'm working on getting that back permanently.

I have been on a schedule of basic and methylation supplements since 2012 and felt alright (ok, relatively functional), but definitely not great. My basic supplements include all Bs, C, D, A, E (gamma complex), Fish Oil, Magnesium, Potassium (~900mg/day), DMG (~250 to 500mg/day), probiotic, choline, inositol, zinc, selenium, K2-4 and K2-7. I never had to titrate the methylation supplements so I had stayed at 3.2mg methylfolate (Metafolin), 5mg MB12, 2.1 mg AB12. I had also been using a range of carnitines: 500mg L-Carnitine-Fumarate, 500mg GPLC, and 500mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I have PCOS and the carnitine is the only thing that regulates my menstrual cycle which is the only effect I could previously detect.

The change I made that precipitated my boost of energy and brain fog clearing was adding 500 mg GPLC - just one extra capsule, I was thinking to help with fat loss. That day I felt energized, like I was getting more oxygen, thinking clearly, and able to easily recover from any physical tasks. I also no longer had food/carb cravings. Over the course of the week that I felt great, I did several tests with alternately increasing the Fumarate and ALC forms rather than the GPLC, but they did not have the same effect as GPLC.

When my low energy/brain fog returned after that first week, I assumed that it was from low potassium. I increased my potassium significantly (upwards of 4g/day split) with no effect.

Just before adding the carnitine, I had also switched back to a paleo, lower carb diet which normally works best for me. I thought I might have gone too low carb, so I upped the carbs, but did not feel any effect.

Upon further reading here, I realized I had added B1, B2 and B3 (thinking I need to balance out the other individual Bs I was taking) in significant amounts which I now know affects need for methylfolate. I stopped those and upped my methylfolate which made me feel better immediately. I've been titrating methylfolate for several days but my energy and brain fog have not yet recovered to the levels of my "perfect week".

So, I guess I'm going to stay way from foods high in folic acid and work on titrating the quartet. As of today I'm at 6.4mg (split) methylfolate, 5mg MB12, 4.3mg AB12, 500mg Fumarate, 500mg ALC & 1000mg GPLC.

I'm thinking of titrating the methylfolate first (since I know that is an issue) while leaving the MB12, AB12 and Carnitines as is. Then raising MB12 & AB12 and then carnitine if needed.

Wish me luck! :)

Last edited:
Maybe more clues. I happened to have a large amount of protein at breakfast and felt a little worse. I was doing some additional reading this evening and came across the information on ammonia problems. One of the treatments is glutamine and citrulline. I remembered that I had a great effect from 1500mg of L-Citrulline when I first took it. I had good energy and clear thinking. The effect didn't last, but makes me wonder if in addition to methylation issues, I have ammonia issues. Eating paleo I do tend to eat high fat, medium protein, low carb so I might try a day or two of a fat fast or something and see how I feel.

I'm planning to finally get the 23andme testing done very soon so that I can a better handle on all of my specific issues.

Looking into ammonia and found this post from Fredd which describes persons with a low BH4 enzyme:

Fredd said:
With certain combinations of the MTHFR gene, some people have a limited supply of BH4. Those people can probably be identified as those who have tendencies towards depression, low energy, all-or-nothing focus, hypothyroid (even subclinical), are pale, and may have elevated blood ammonia.

That is me - exactly (well except not knowing for certain about the blood ammonia). So, the plan starting with my next meal is lots of fat, low folic acid vegetable and little or no high quality protein and continuing with my methylfolate titration.

No protein with dinner, just squash, mushrooms, and butter. I feel fine after eating which is good.

With the potential ammonia issues, I'm looking at going really strict and proceeding with a low folic acid and low sulfur diet so in addition to lots of fat, I'll have vegetables low in folic acid and sulfur, and very little protein (just to start), then adding back in protein step by step to gauge effects of specific sources of protein. I might add in some basic supplements that should help (and not harm either way) - molybdenum & manganese (I won't go crazy on the dose of these).

For energy, I'm going to keep going with my CoQ10 (Ubiquinol), carnitines, and ribose (normally does not help me, but I might try it again as well). I'm going to also try and get some sulfate sticks which will get here quicker than 23andme test results.

Freddd

Two weeks ago, I made a change to my supplement routine and accidentally had the best energy and clearing of brain fog EVER. I got so much accomplished. It lasted one week and then vanished overnight. I know how good I CAN feel so I'm working on getting that back permanently.

I have been on a schedule of basic and methylation supplements since 2012 and felt alright (ok, relatively functional), but definitely not great. My basic supplements include all Bs, C, D, A, E (gamma complex), Fish Oil, Magnesium, Potassium (~900mg/day), DMG (~250 to 500mg/day), probiotic, choline, inositol, zinc, selenium, K2-4 and K2-7. I never had to titrate the methylation supplements so I had stayed at 3.2mg methylfolate (Metafolin), 5mg MB12, 2.1 mg AB12. I had also been using a range of carnitines: 500mg L-Carnitine-Fumarate, 500mg GPLC, and 500mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I have PCOS and the carnitine is the only thing that regulates my menstrual cycle which is the only effect I could previously detect.

The change I made that precipitated my boost of energy and brain fog clearing was adding 500 mg GPLC - just one extra capsule, I was thinking to help with fat loss. That day I felt energized, like I was getting more oxygen, thinking clearly, and able to easily recover from any physical tasks. I also no longer had food/carb cravings. Over the course of the week that I felt great, I did several tests with alternately increasing the Fumarate and ALC forms rather than the GPLC, but they did not have the same effect as GPLC.

When my low energy/brain fog returned after that first week, I assumed that it was from low potassium. I increased my potassium significantly (upwards of 4g/day split) with no effect.

Just before adding the carnitine, I had also switched back to a paleo, lower carb diet which normally works best for me. I thought I might have gone too low carb, so I upped the carbs, but did not feel any effect.

Upon further reading here, I realized I had added B1, B2 and B3 (thinking I need to balance out the other individual Bs I was taking) in significant amounts which I now know affects need for methylfolate. I stopped those and upped my methylfolate which made me feel better immediately. I've been titrating methylfolate for several days but my energy and brain fog have not yet recovered to the levels of my "perfect week".

So, I guess I'm going to stay way from foods high in folic acid and work on titrating the quartet. As of today I'm at 6.4mg (split) methylfolate, 5mg MB12, 4.3mg AB12, 500mg Fumarate, 500mg ALC & 1000mg GPLC.

I'm thinking of titrating the methylfolate first (since I know that is an issue) while leaving the MB12, AB12 and Carnitines as is. Then raising MB12 & AB12 and then carnitine if needed.

Wish me luck! :)

Hi Kposs,

I found that ALCAR interfered with LCF. Maybe you are having interference from mixing the carnitines.

Hi Kposs,

I found that ALCAR interfered with LCF. Maybe you are having interference from mixing the carnitines.

Thanks for your input! I will try the carnitines individually to see if that makes a difference. I will start with GPLC first since that seemed to make the most difference for me, then try LCF and ALCAR if needed.

In reviewing my supplements during that time, I also realized I was feeling anemic after a heavy TOM, so I started SpaTone iron water. So, actually there were 2 changes to my supplements within a few days of one another (the iron change was before the carnitine change).

After researching further I really probably have excess iron stores given my PCOS, weight, etc. You can apparently have excess iron stores and still be anemic, so I also wonder if I did take care of some minor anemia and just overdid it by continuing to take the basic iron in addition to eating a red meat heavy Paleo diet. I've now stopped the iron, lowered the iron rich food intake and plan to get the full panel of iron tests done next week since you need to stop iron supplements a week before testing. Excess iron can cause fatigue as well so it'll be interesting to see if that is an issue for me.

I have continued to review my supplement records in detail just before my "perfect week" to find the key and think I know what cleared the brain fog and gave me my energy back!

As I said above, I did start Iron, but that was just 10mg (ferrous sulfate) the night before. I don't think that would have such a dramatic effect unless I was severely anemic (which I'm usually not according to at least quarterly blood tests).

I think increasing the carnitine is one key, BUT I also think I know why the carnitine "worked"...

I have really high inflammation. My c-reactive protein ranges from 20 to 50 over the last 2 years (normal is less than 3 with optimal less than 1!!) with no specific cause that I can find (beyond the obesity and PCOS). I've checked for autoimmune disease and heart/vascular disease, but none of those specific markers are positive.

Three days prior to the beginning of my perfect week, I restarted the NeuroProtek-LP (low phenol version) supplement which is a combination of flavonoids Lueolin (100mg), Quercetin (40mg) and Rutin (1mg) to start trying to deal with my inflammation and see if I could make a difference before my next blood draw in August.

I stopped it the day before I upped the carnitine because flavonoids lower my estrogen levels to a point where my menstrual cycle is continuous - at least at those dosages. Same thing happened the first time I tried NeuroProtek and when I tried Quercetin alone. If I try something during my menstrual cycle, I can tell usually within a day if it is affecting my estrogen. But this time was not during a menstrual cycle so it took a couple of days for me to see the effects.

When I search NeuroProtek and "brain fog", it seems like alot of people get relief from fatigue and brain fog when taking it. So, I think this is most likely the change that made the difference. It makes the most sense with timing, etc. I'm going to start it again today and I'll let you know how it goes.

If it is the key, then I'll just have to find the right dose. Since I took a full dose for 3 days, then stopped and that lasted about a week, I may be able to take it every other day or every third day without the effects on my estrogen.

Flavonoids affect parts of the endocrine system that I don't necessarily want to mess with, so if this trial works but I still have estrogen issues, I will pursue the inflammation fervently from another angle - higher dose curcumin, etc.

Freddd

I have continued to review my supplement records in detail just before my "perfect week" to find the key and think I know what cleared the brain fog and gave me my energy back!

As I said above, I did start Iron, but that was just 10mg (ferrous sulfate) the night before. I don't think that would have such a dramatic effect unless I was severely anemic (which I'm usually not according to at least quarterly blood tests).

I think increasing the carnitine is one key, BUT I also think I know why the carnitine "worked"...

I have really high inflammation. My c-reactive protein ranges from 20 to 50 over the last 2 years (normal is less than 3 with optimal less than 1!!) with no specific cause that I can find (beyond the obesity and PCOS). I've checked for autoimmune disease and heart/vascular disease, but none of those specific markers are positive.

Three days prior to the beginning of my perfect week, I restarted the NeuroProtek-LP (low phenol version) supplement which is a combination of flavonoids Lueolin (100mg), Quercetin (40mg) and Rutin (1mg) to start trying to deal with my inflammation and see if I could make a difference before my next blood draw in August.

I stopped it the day before I upped the carnitine because flavonoids lower my estrogen levels to a point where my menstrual cycle is continuous - at least at those dosages. Same thing happened the first time I tried NeuroProtek and when I tried Quercetin alone. If I try something during my menstrual cycle, I can tell usually within a day if it is affecting my estrogen. But this time was not during a menstrual cycle so it took a couple of days for me to see the effects.

When I search NeuroProtek and "brain fog", it seems like alot of people get relief from fatigue and brain fog when taking it. So, I think this is most likely the change that made the difference. It makes the most sense with timing, etc. I'm going to start it again today and I'll let you know how it goes.

If it is the key, then I'll just have to find the right dose. Since I took a full dose for 3 days, then stopped and that lasted about a week, I may be able to take it every other day or every third day without the effects on my estrogen.

Flavonoids affect parts of the endocrine system that I don't necessarily want to mess with, so if this trial works but I still have estrogen issues, I will pursue the inflammation fervently from another angle - higher dose curcumin, etc.

Hi Kposs,

Each of the Deadlock Quartet and zinc are big players in inflammation. Lack of L-methylfolate for one day can cause a surge of inflammation. Widespread inflammation is a key symptom of low L-methylfolate. My CRP fell to <1.0 in as matter of months after getting healing going.

Hi Kposs,

Each of the Deadlock Quartet and zinc are big players in inflammation. Lack of L-methylfolate for one day can cause a surge of inflammation. Widespread inflammation is a key symptom of low L-methylfolate. My CRP fell to <1.0 in as matter of months after getting healing going.

Thanks. I didn't get the connection between widespread inflammation and low L-methylfolate. I will continue the quartet titration. I'm on a basic zinc dose of 30mg per day, so I might up that some as well.

Wow, I've learned alot this week.

1. Gotta get my inflammation under control. I have symptoms of folate deficiency that I wasn't even recognizing as folate deficiency so I'll be titrating the methylfolate which should help with the inflammation. I also do very well with curcumin, so I'll be dropping the NeuroProtek (which was temporary anyway) and changing my curcumin to LongVida brand (was using BCM-95 version in Life Extension Bio-Curcumin which I could still feel) starting at 1g per day. After some research, it seems to be the best at raising serum levels of curcuminoids.

2. I think I know why the GPLC version of the carnitine works for me. I must have low nitric oxide production. The GPLC raises nitric oxide levels which I don't believe the other versions do. That must be what is making me feel like I am getting more oxygen. It's the same feeling I had when I first started using Citrulline Malate. PCOS'ers may be low in citrulline/arginine (see Metabolic biomarkers in women with PCOS). Citrulline raises arginine levels helping with ammonia recycling and nitric oxide metabolism. This aspect may have alot to do with the exercise recovery I felt. So, I'm working on the best ways to normalize my nitric oxide levels starting with dosages of GPLC and Citrulline Malate. I think methylfolate indirectly helps with this as well.

3. I really wasn't getting the different metabolic pathways of MB12 vs AB12 (methylation vs Krebs). In my mind, I felt like I need to keep levels of methylfolate, MB12 and AB12 relatively even (I have no idea where I came up with that). So, I'm titrating AB12/carnitine separately from methylfolate/MB12 to help with the energy levels. I just upped AB12 this morning and have more energy already today.

I would say that as of today I'm about 80% and hope when I get all of these pieces in place to be 95% or better.

Last edited: