• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Lipkin to hold public seminar in London on ME/CFS

Firestormm

Earlier in the year the patient community raised the funds necessary to bring Dr Lipkin across to the UK to take part in the CMRC Bristol Conference (see below). As part of this visit it is fantastic news that he will also be able to hold a 2 hour seminar in London and that tickets are so relatively cheap at only £5:

The ME Association
7 July 2014
Professor Lipkin to guest at special London seminar on September 3 | how to get tickets
We are delighted to announce that leading US-based researcher Professor Ian Lipkin will be guest speaker at a seminar being held jointly by Action for M.E. and the ME Association in London on Wednesday 3 September.

The seminar will take place from 10am to noon at the offices of Allen & Overy, at One Bishops Square, London E1 6AD and is open to anyone interested to hear about Prof Lipkin’s work focused on infection and M.E./CFS.

Find out how you can attend. Tickets cost £5 per person to contribute towards the cost of the event and include refreshments (tea, coffee, biscuits – incl. dairy/gluten-free – and fruit) between 9.30 and 10am.

Sonya Chowdhury, Chief Executive of Action for M.E. said, “I am absolutely delighted and thrilled that Prof Lipkin is able to be our guest speaker. This is a rare opportunity to hear an internationally-renowned physician and scientist, now working in the field of M.E./CFS, at first hand. It promises to be a fascinating event.”

Dr Charles Shepherd, Medical Adviser to The ME Association, said: “This is a unique opportunity for people to come and listen to one of the world’s leading experts in virology speak about the the role of infection in ME/CFS. And many thanks to everyone who donated to the appeal to bring Professor Lipkin to speak at both the UK Research Collaborative conference in Bristol and now at this extra meeting in London."

Prof Lipkin, who is based at Columbia University in New York, has been funded by the M.E. community to present to researchers at the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative (CMRC) conference in Bristol on 1 and 2 September.

While at the conference, he will also participate in a session with members of the wider M.E./CFS community to explore how to enhance patient and public involvement in shaping the research agenda.

Find out more about the CMRC and its Bristol conference.

The current programme for the Bristol CMRC Research Conference can be read here. As I understand it the plenary sessions - including Dr Lipkin's - will all be recorded and made available on the internet after the Bristol event.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Superb! It would be great if this London thing could be recorded and put on YouTube as well. So many of us would like to go and so many of us are stuck in bed or housebound. So frustrating not to be able to be present at these things.

Firestormm

Superb! It would be great if this London thing could be recorded and put on YouTube as well. So many of us would like to go and so many of us are stuck in bed or housebound. So frustrating not to be able to be present at these things.

Apparenly - according to Dr Shepherd on Facebook earlier - it seems likely Dr Lipkin will repeat his presentation in Bristol when in London: so perhaps (other than Q and A's) we wont miss out on much.

Although, as the London seminar is for 2 hours I think I might have preferred the London talk to be recorded and made available: but as Dr Shepherd said - this would then only add to the cost of the London event and they really wanted to keep it cheap and accessible.

Either way it's great news.... if you can get to London or Bristol. But even if not, then at least we will get to see something on the internet afterwards :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The current programme for the Bristol CMRC Research Conference can be read here. As I understand it the plenary sessions - including Dr Lipkin's - will all be recorded and made available on the internet after the Bristol event.

The link isn't working for me?? :confused:

Sushi

NK17

At first I was happy to learn that Dr. Lipkin is giving a talk on Infections in ME/CFS and still am.

What made me cringe is seeing the name of Esther Crawley...

Can somebody please explain this to me, from a quick search on the net she does not sound like a real true friend of PWME.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 22

Firestormm

Is Crawley involved in the London talk somehow? I didn't see that.

No she isn't.

She is of course a part of the CMRC and will be in Bristol at that conference.

As you know Esther one of the reasons Dr Lipkin was nominated - and why we launched a campaign to raise funds to bring him over - was to help 'balance' the contributions or to better ensure that at least some of those speaking at the Bristol conference could talk with authority about the biomedical aspects of ME/CFS research and findings to date.

Dr Lipkin seemed a strong candidate for this from the start and judging by the relative ease with which funds were raised by the general public to bring him across - and the positive reaction his acceptance has received - I think a great many folk are chuffed he is going to be present.

The London seminar is solely comprised of Dr Lipkin. It will be a good opportunity for those unable/unwilling to attend Bristol and let's face it they will get Dr Lipkin to themselves for 2 hours as opposed to a few minutes in Bristol during the patient's workshop afternoon.

His main presentation in Bristol will be recorded and made available on the internet - as mentioned above.

Firestormm

I have just been informed that CEO of Action for ME Sonya Chowdhury has arranged for the London session to be recorded on film.

There will be no additional cost to the ticket price.

We'll have to wait for more details as that's all I've got at present :)

Result!

Edit: confirmation now on AfME's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/actionforme/posts/10152538128883209?notif_t=notify_me

Last edited:

IreneF

At first I was happy to learn that Dr. Lipkin is giving a talk on Infections in ME/CFS and still am.

What made me cringe is seeing the name of Esther Crawley...

Can somebody please explain this to me, from a quick search on the net she does not sound like a real true friend of PWME.View attachment 7786
Those are interesting assertions. I wonder if she's got research to back herself up. When I was in high school and college I struggled to wake up in the morning in time for class. Now people recognize that adolescents tend toward a "night owl" sleep cycle.

As a person with sleep cycle difficulties, I can't keep to a regular bedtime/waketime. I just don't fall asleep. I'd have to be drugged into unconsciousness. On the other hand, I don't sleep longer because I "feel tired". I sleep as long as I need to, despite the frequent and fervent wish to be asleep 24/7.

As Ian Lipkin is such a world leading virologist, immunologist, I would like his lecture in London to attract the interest of london based science researchers and students. After all, London is the home of, for example, Imperial College.

Will the visit of such a renowned scientist be reported in the national media?

Last edited:
But I don't expect that Professor Lipkin's talk will be reported on by the uk controllers of science reporting, ie the Science Media Centre.

It would be a shame for London based science students to miss what will be an illuminating talk by Professor Lipkin.

RL_sparky

Can't afford the plane trip from San Francisco to London.:) Even though it's going to be recorded and made available to all, I hope you will share your impressions of the talk with the board!
Ron