• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling better at night

Fogbuster

I feel better from about 6 onwards as long as I haven't had anything too stimulating in the day eg coffee.

Yes, exactly the same for me. I feel best right after dinner, just in time to get stuck staying awake. I was never like this before getting ill. Exercise doesn't seem to affect the timing of this. It is a very strange experience.

Gingergrrl

Wow just found this thread and I also feel better at night! My cortisol was tested by saliva test and while it was low overall, it was not reversed.

Part of my theory is that I have drank water & electrolytes during the day so by night time my blood volume is up and tachycardia is gone (whereas in the morning this is the exact opposite.)

Just a theory though..,

Yes, I've been a slower morning person becoming more energetic late in the day. This was evident to me as a teenager & I'm now in my 70s. An energy crash about 5 yr. ago led to getting my cortisol levels tested by
http://www.diagnostechs.com/ [Adrenal Stress Index].
My cortisol was low in morning, gradually rising to high late in day. Taking 25 mg. pregnenolone with breakfast has helped a lot since then. My body is able to make cortisol from pregnenolone.
Blessings to you!

Daffodil

for me, it depends on the treatment i am on. usually, i feel better after 6 pm but for a while on antibiotics, i was full of energy early in the morning! it was weird.

Tired of being sick

Energy in the morning would be a good thing depending on the sustainability of it
IMO
This energy at night issue should be taken VERY seriously since just about all of us experience it..

I believe it is our sleep center causing this,
I believe it is a ?nonrecoverable? Circadian Rhythm Disorder
(unless we find the right antibiotic/s to send CFS/ME into remission)

I don't care what AUTOIMMUNE disease it is,you name it,antibiotics is the only answer for long term recovery,
IMO

I don't know about you all, but I can feel this disease radiating it's horrible symptoms from my brain stem/cervical spine area all though my body (I feel constant inflammation in the area)
The more this area is inflamed, the WORSE "ALL" of my CFS/ME Symptoms become..

Since The brain stem is responsible for controlling just about all of our symptoms, this is where we need to look hard and DEEP.

knackers323

Energy in the morning would be a good thing depending on the sustainability of it
IMO
This energy at night issue should be taken VERY seriously since just about all of us experience it..

I believe it is our sleep center causing this,
I believe it is a ?nonrecoverable? Circadian Rhythm Disorder
(unless we find the right antibiotic/s to send CFS/ME into remission)

I don't care what AUTOIMMUNE disease it is,you name it,antibiotics is the only answer for long term recovery,
IMO

I don't know about you all, but I can feel this disease radiating it's horrible symptoms from my brain stem/cervical spine area all though my body (I feel constant inflammation in the area)
The more this area is inflamed, the WORSE "ALL" of my CFS/ME Symptoms become..

Since The brain stem is responsible for controlling just about all of our symptoms, this is where we need to look hard and DEEP.

What do you feel is the mechanism that antibiotics treat autoimmune diseases?

@Daffodil why do you think antibiotics help you?

Daffodil

well, i assume the antibiotics help due to lyme having reproduced in my body to a greater extent than is appropriate. also, maybe the antibiotics help the gram negative bacteria in my blood from leaky gut?

it was only a short time when i had a lot of energy in the morning. i cannot remember which specific antibiotics i was on at the time but it was crazy. i would jump out of bed, run into the kitchen, cook for 2 - 3 hrs, and then crash all day.

Tired of being sick

You believe all autoimmune diseases are caused by this infection?
Not Exactly

I am saying that CFS/ME is mostttttttttttttttttttt likely (Nah, I know it is) an auto immune disease and the only way it can be thrown into remission is with some type of antibiotic/s
and since
Borrelia burgdorferi the Lyme Disease spirochete

was found in most(7 0out of 10 Alzheimer's brains) and all alive patients (100%)tested who had
MS/ALS/Parkinson's/Alzheimer's (in the OP documentary )

Since it was found in these diseases

Then why would it not be found in CFS/ME?

Or a new undiscovered bacterial species of the spirochete class or not

It is definitely a bacterial species though

What I am trying to say is Lyme has many different faces/Symptoms from one patient to the next

This is my conclusion only

If you want to learn how antibiotics are helping,
I suggest you bookmark this thread
Borrelia burgdorferi

Just Treating the boat load of symptoms are exactly that
which means we are a walking ATM for Big Pharna
So a cure/remission is not in the vocabulary of Big Pharma

Last edited:

roxie60

Same here. Dont feel great but xan do a few more thinfs in the evening. Baffled. Chevked cortisol and it could be to blame but then I checked it from two different labs and they came up with two different results, just added to my distrust of testing.

Adlyfrost

I think it's light-sensitivity and messed up circadian rhythms from CFS. I get this energy at night/ sleepy all day thing the worst around summer solstice. I get terrible insomnia too at that time- IF I am feeling somewhat well- otherwise I just sleep all day, wake up between 6 and midnight, go back to sleep on and off until 6 pm next day. That was my sleep cycle most of the time I lived in Florida. In NJ, I sleep more normally during the winter months but I struggle with this between May and August. More caffeine intolerant at that time too.

Summer seasonal affective disorder (SUMMER SAD) for me- which some have hypothesized is due to problem with melatonin (taking it does help me with insomnia during summer). I used to be active on a support site for Summer SAD.

Most people on the Summer SAD site were women, had thyroid and digestive problems and a few had lyme disease. The light and heat too make these people very anxious and depressed all summer. Many prefer northern latitudes, nighttime and feel alive during rainy / cloudy days.

My fiancé, who does not have CFS/ME, gets Summer SAD too but in a lesser degree that me. He is irritable all day long (he gets up at 5am) and is tired all day. At night he barely rests at all- just does the best he can before he has to get up again for work at 5. He has a home theater which has been his therapy in the summer. It is completely dark in there. Helps him relax. Come Fall, he is back to normal.

Unfortunately for me, in the winter, though my sleep is more normal, my energy gets zapped by the cold all day and night long. By February I feel completely light deprived (Winter SAD). So I can't win! :-(

Last edited:

Adlyfrost

I wonder if morning cortisol is suppressed by our body somehow because cortisol is an immune-suppressant / steroid??? If we have an infection, our body is going to want to unleash the immune system and all the inflammation that goes with it that cortisol might suppress. Just a thought.

Adlyfrost

The lack of morning cortisol combined with the daylight might really throw off circadian rhythms too and contribute to lack of melatonin and low glutathione, further making it difficult to sleep at night. If there is any merit to these theories then treating the CFS as an infection is key to stopping this vicious cycle.