• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Bacteria Might Guide The Workings Of Our Minds

geraldt52

I don't think this has been posted anywhere on PR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...prfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

How many chronic and previously unexplained conditions are going to have connections to the gut?

I so wish we could convince more people that funding the Microbiome Discovery Project and Drs. Lipkin and Hornig is central to finding the answer for CFS, and not some sideshow. I get the feeling that too many people are dismissing the idea as "too simple", when nothing could be further from the truth. The complexity of the gut/brain connection is only just beginning to be understood and we might be at the threshold of unraveling a lot of mysteries.

Please consider a donation, any donation, to the Microbiome Discovery Project:

http://www.microbediscovery.org/

aimossy

I feel that same way @geraldt52.

It is a really big deal and a very complex technically high powered area. Studies are only beginning to come out with findings now with gut microbiome research and disease. I think part of the problem is that there isn't much quite yet for people to compare what could be found and done.The gut microbiome is where they are finding new information with respect to autoimmunity.

I really wish people were seeing how much more forward Lipkin and Hornig are taking this illness in research terms.
We have problems with our immune systems and our cognitive function and not that you have to be suffering gut symptoms at all, but a large percentage have gut symptoms. The gut microbiome has clear relationships to these areas of physiological functions. If it was simple it would have been figured out by now and the immune system is so complicated.
It really is a no brainer to me that this is a very good place for good researchers to be looking. That is not even taking into account that they are following information they already have! This can only enhance our understandings and gain more useful information on ME/CFS.

The gut has never been a sexy area for research but it is an extremely important part of the bodies make up and has been under researched historically because it is not sexy and nobody wants to know about S**T;) it has been seen as boring or distasteful and difficult to access. Gastroenterologist conferences are now becoming full with microbiome aspects and research. I get excited about new findings that come out about the microbe gut brain axis and anything to do with gut and the immune system. I just wish it was all worked on faster. I'm so glad Lipkin and Hornig can do this work fast and are giving us a chance to actually just get on with doing some darn research. Have we not learnt from Norway's example.

I don't want thousands of people to wait longer than they already have to get information on ME/CFS that will give governments no choice but to start funding research! We have some very good researchers around the place wanting to work on ME/CFS and clearly going in good directions to investigate. Now it seems, a more important time than ever, to up the anti and dig in and get behind these researchers to me.

Last edited:

manna

After reading the link i can't say im much wiser as to what they're actually looking to do. I have enough subs and not enough money generally so doubtfull id donate anyway but it'd be nice to get a better idea of exactly what the goals are and how they intend to reach them. I can only see research as potentially leading to a definite allopathic diagnostic criteria; which would be handy. The brain gut conection isn't just bacteria though is it? Id gues that its more to do with the functional mis-shapening and inflammation of the bowel and some organs; which would have a concomittant affect on bacteria. I suppose neither comes first. Swollen bowel and organs will take every drop of serotonin you have in attemp to repair it and it will never do it, leaving the mind with no calming hormones.

edit: there is not alot of info on the site as i can see it. and one scientist involved, supposedly ruled out the measles connection to autism, supposedly. not sure id agree. the mention of antibiotics doesn't give me more hope at all. they cause leaky gut...??

Last edited:

Firestormm

Thanks @geraldt52 :) I shall have a read of this one later when my eyes permit. I did love the picture I must say. Brilliant :)

gutbrain-connectionfinal_wide-cb9feac5f39d9f01a5c02737cda2ac48541b2929-s40-c85.jpg

aimossy

There is a lot of information about the study on the microbediscovery website to do with aims and a breakdown of the costs. There is a lot involved with brain gut connection but the microbes/bacteria have more influence on brain function, hormones and metabolism than was ever suspected. Not to mention cytokines. Also toxins from bacteria can be neurotoxic. I'm sure from information I have read that Lipkin and Hornig are not looking at this just from the aspect of this is what we have inside us woopti doo. Its about relationships with the immune system with what they find and antibodies.

From what I have read that is available on PR on a Mady Hornig interview this work will also eventually be looked into with respect to the metabolome and proteome? (proteomics) with respect to the microbiome as well. It seems a very large body of work they are wanting to do and investigate in the big picture. I mean I could be wrong my memory is struggling but absolutely no complaints here with what they found. The 3 year thing they found with CFI completely resounded with me and what I felt I went through. The immune reaction then the immune system possibly becoming exhausted after 3 yrs showing a change.

I mean we are all a bit different but we have to do research work in so many areas to find the evidence and then we can connect the dots of the pathways and what is actually happening to us in my view. We need good investigative research on different puzzle pieces to find the pathway. If we have too much of a narrow focus we go looking for certain things and constantly miss the hot spots. I hope the microbe team will do a question and answer soon so people can send their questions that they would like answered.

I'm excited about rituximab work, microbediscovery and a few other researchers are wanting to do some really good research. Unfortunately its going to take huge effort from us. Advocates are now working on some combined unified efforts with respect to pushing govt which I am excited about too and I think it will build to something effective.
A double approach funding good (costly) research and supporting a unified advocate network with a clear goal are good moves forward I think. Is it just me that is noticing this is happening, apart from the fact that everyone is jaded and over it and dying of ME/CFS.

I'm no expert this is just how I am feeling about it all right now.:)

geraldt52

...A double approach funding good (costly) research and supporting a unified advocate network with a clear goal are good moves forward I think. Is it just me that is noticing this is happening, apart from the fact that everyone is jaded and over it and dying of ME/CFS...

Well, there's at least two of us hopeful about developments on the research front, aimossy.

I think the biggest problem is that governments have clearly and repeatedly demonstrated for 30 years that they aren't going to help us, and I'm convinced that the only way we're going to push them into it is by funding the initial research ourselves. That's why I think the Lipkin/Hornig study is so important, and why it's somewhat distressing to me that raising the funds is so difficult. We just need a dollar from everyone.

At the point where someone like Lipkin points the way, I think advocating for government funding will have a fighting chance of succeeding...until then, I just see them ignoring us as they always have. There's just not enough people who care.

aimossy

Very true! @geraldt52

I think it would get media attention if we managed to hit the target. It is no small feat but it is completely able to be done if this community globally get behind it and view that it needs to be done.

Just like an advocate community that bands together with a common goal and strategy that is planned well, over time it can build. If viewed as possibly being successful even more get on board. If they ask this community to 'on mass' do something that hits those buttons. I will follow through with what they would like us as a community to do absolutely and I have my fingers crossed this will happen soon.

Getting everybody on board with the same goals, research and advocacy wise seems the hardest thing to make happen.
I wonder how many organisations have put it into their mags and newsletters to help get the word out?

Firestormm

None I suspect because rather than coming together over such research efforts it is seen as a conflict of interest certainly among those organisations who fund their own research - or even collaborate.

We need to collaborate outside of the box and on an international scale. Some organisations might have limitations placed on them by their constitutions... but only these kind of external projects will enable progress of significance to occur.

Not to support Lipkin and his team is in my view cutting our own throats. I don't know for how many years 'the community' have pleaded for such expertise to take notice - well it's here and he wants to help.

He gets my total backing - and I view the efforts of CFI and this particular project - as his contribution: not this project in isolation. They are doing it the right way - from the ground up so to speak - and I hope that when we see the papers published on the cytokine findings it just might provide the added push necessary to really get this project funded and then others will recognise our support and also contribute.

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I made a donation to this study - and was very impressed to receive a letter by post thanking me for my donation. A nice touch I thought.

Personally I think the gut, and the flora and fauna therein, should make a fascinating area of study. As a biologist the concept of bacterial populations in our guts affecting multiple aspects of our functioning does not seem at all crazy.

geraldt52

I have been holding off from donating to the microbiome project, because somehow it just didn't excite me... I have struggled to see the importance compared to other projects. However, having just read this thread I am going to donate.

Thanks, daisybell, for giving it a second look and changing your mind. I think a lot of people have been feeling just like you, not excited...if we can just convince one at a time.

For me, this statement above by Firestormm, regarding Dr. Lipkin, sums it up completely: "I don't know for how many years 'the community' have pleaded for such expertise to take notice - well it's here and he wants to help". I really hope that we can seize the opportunity.