• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylated= Ear Ringing and Histamine Intolerance?

chilove

Hi guys,

I'm STILL trying to figure out the source of my newly developed histamine intolerance and now I have a new symptom to figure out: ringing in my ears. I've heard that ear ringing can be related to overmethylation.
Does anyone know anything about this connection?

Thanks!

Audrey

PeterPositive

If that's the case then yeppee, I have had ringing in my ears since 2004... it is quite annoying although in the list of my symptoms (and I presume of most others) that's an easy one to cope with.

Sorry, not a useful reply about your question but I can relate to it :)

High histamine is also another problem for me, way more annoying and it gets worse with the cold season. Sometimes I get pretty bad rashes, it feels like thousands of needles in my back, torso and arms :(

I am still struggling getting my methylation going, just recently discovered that i am C677T +/+ and started with metafolin. So my problem is undermethylation instead of over... How do you detect when you are over-methylating?

Cheers

chilove

Hi Peter,

I just assumed both the histamine intolerance and ear ringing were related to being over methylated since I didn't have those symptoms before I started a methylation protocol.

Thanks!

Freddd

Hi guys,

I'm STILL trying to figure out the source of my newly developed histamine intolerance and now I have a new symptom to figure out: ringing in my ears. I've heard that ear ringing can be related to overmethylation.

Thanks!

Audrey

Ho Chilove,

Ringing ears can be B12 deficiency. It can be a lot of other things too. When MeCbl is first started there is an amplification of sensory phenomena and that includes "noise" in the system. I've had both. I've had a whole lot more than 2 kinds of ear ringing.

Freddd

If that's the case then yeppee, I have had ringing in my ears since 2004... it is quite annoying although in the list of my symptoms (and I presume of most others) that's an easy one to cope with.

Sorry, not a useful reply about your question but I can relate to it :)

High histamine is also another problem for me, way more annoying and it gets worse with the cold season. Sometimes I get pretty bad rashes, it feels like thousands of needles in my back, torso and arms :(

I am still struggling getting my methylation going, just recently discovered that i am C677T +/+ and started with metafolin. So my problem is undermethylation instead of over... How do you detect when you are over-methylating?

Cheers

Hi PeterPositive,

How do you detect when you are over-methylating

I've seen people assign all sorts of b12 deficiency symptoms, maybe especially AdoCbl deficiency symptoms. Nobody appears able to name symptoms that actually are predictive. They assign symptoms but they are always b12 /folate/carnitine deficiency symptoms.

My advice is not to worry about "overmethylation" until everything is fixed, then look for symptoms telling you something is wrong.

PeterPositive

Hi PeterPositive,

How do you detect when you are over-methylating

I've seen people assign all sorts of b12 deficiency symptoms, maybe especially AdoCbl deficiency symptoms. Nobody appears able to name symptoms that actually are predictive. They assign symptoms but they are always b12 /folate/carnitine deficiency symptoms.

My advice is not to worry about "overmethylation" until everything is fixed, then look for symptoms telling you something is wrong.
Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Audrey

You can find out.. if you feel like your overmethylating take niacin not nicotinic acid for flush free niacin… but just niacin it will give you a flush and warm feeling in your face and will dump your methyl donors, don't start too high everyone reacts different.. i would take 50 mg wait 25 mins take 100 mg wait 25 min then if still nothing take 200 mg and eat kale chips… don't know why but it always starts it for me.

However after your done you will be undermethylating after dumping all your donors. This seems to be a little known secret, It is also said (i would do some poking around) that people who flush at lower doses have high histamine levels … here's some information on it an excerpt from Dr. Ben Lynch on MTHFR.COM….
He more specifically ties it to anxiety but that is usually (in protocoling with methylation) a sign over over methylating…. Do some poking around on Niacin, Histamine and methylation.
Why Niacin??!
You’re likely wondering why niacin was so effective at reducing this gentleman’s anxiety.

I’ll let you in on the secret and wonderful actions of biochemistry.

Niacin restored his mood in two ways – at least the two ways that I am familiar with:

1. Nicotinic acid (Niacin USP) requires SAMe to be metabolized. SAMe is a major methyl donor. Thus, when one consumes niacin, SAMe gets used up and methyl donors drop. Thereby excessive methylation goes away.
  2. Nicotinic acid is a cofactor for the COMT enzyme. This enzyme helps breakdown norepinephrine and epinephrine – and estrogen. These are all commonly elevated in those with anxiety. Since the COMT enzyme sped up, the breakdown of these occurred faster.

chilove

Yes, those are the two main symptoms since starting methylation.

What ration of Mfolate to B12 should I have?

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm experiencing some EMF sensitivity so forgive me for not responding to each post separately.

Victronix

For me, ear ringing is one symptom among many that I am low potassium, and methylation will make me low potassium. I used to take elemental potassium when I was taking mfolate, but now am only taking m B-12 and only need to drink some coconut water, eat bananas, etc.

end

ive been taking tons of mb12 with continued tinnitus. could an adb12 deficiency alone cause tinnitus?

Not sure on the adb12, but...

There's a few deficiencies that may cause tinnitus - "Research has shown that zinc deficiency is common among tinnitus sufferers."

http://tinnitusreliefinformation.com/vitamins-for-tinnitus?wprptest2=0

Have just read Vitamin A & D deficiencies may be involved?

"Vitamin A, or beta carotene plays a role in helping the body to repair and recover from injury, it also plays a role in sight and night vision.

There is anecdotal evidence that the deficiency of this important vitamin could lead to tinnitus, but it is more likely that a deficiency prevents optimum healing of damage in the ears, and by taking a supplement the body can use this to promote healing of the ear and therefore reduce tinnitus."

http://www.tinnitusreporter.com/stop-ear-ringing.html

Last edited:

linusbert

Bumping this for tinnitus. It's driving me crazy.

i usually dont have tinnitus but i had a episode which correlated to having muscle hardening in upper neck / head area. when this is the case i get all sort of weir symptoms like one sided pressure headache, feeling like my eyes are popping out, pressure in face or nose. light and sound sensitivity. nausea.

if that is the case, something warm like a hot water pillow or infrared light to the neck might help.
and then of course the search why those muscles are strained so much to fix this permanently.

GreenMachineX

i usually dont have tinnitus but i had a episode which correlated to having muscle hardening in upper neck / head area. when this is the case i get all sort of weir symptoms like one sided pressure headache, feeling like my eyes are popping out, pressure in face or nose. light and sound sensitivity. nausea.

if that is the case, something warm like a hot water pillow or infrared light to the neck might help.
and then of course the search why those muscles are strained so much to fix this permanently.
I've had that before too and think it was neurotransmitter overload in my case.

GreenMachineX

can you elaborate more. how to fix it? whats the cause?
I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I have lots of experiments lined up the next few weeks. Are you using any b vitamins? Do you have comt mutations? I'm pretty sure it has to do with dopamine overload, but unsure.

linusbert

I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I have lots of experiments lined up the next few weeks. Are you using any b vitamins? Do you have comt mutations? I'm pretty sure it has to do with dopamine overload, but unsure.

b-vitamins rarely. did the last week a few times.
i do have comt mutations. but i dont believe this whole gene polymorphism stuff for genes which 50% of the population have.
1666562147535.png

1666562189353.png

dopamine overload i dont it is for me. i know the feeling , its like beeing on too much caffeine or so.

GreenMachineX

b-vitamins rarely. did the last week a few times.
i do have comt mutations. but i dont believe this whole gene polymorphism stuff for genes which 50% of the population have.
View attachment 49716
View attachment 49717

dopamine overload i dont it is for me. i know the feeling , its like beeing on too much caffeine or so.
Whoa, your loaded pretty bad with mutations as well though. I definitely believe double homozygous comt mutations are causing the issues I have. My wife can take the exact same thing (she has 1 comt copy) and feel great, then sleep great. I'll be up for days if I make a mistake. But that Mao mutation also...that plus comt could be very problematic. I'll have to see if I have that.