• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bains Dérivatifs--Cold Water Therapy

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am a really big chicken about cold water, so am filing this for future reference. Does time of day make any difference in sleep improvement?

anne_likes_red

I am a really big chicken about cold water, so am filing this for future reference. Does time of day make any difference in sleep improvement?

I've found it best longer term not to take a cold bath, shower or swim too close to bedtime. Earlier on I found the baths knocked me out cold ;) and late evening was fine, but after I started responding to them more like a healthy/fit person I found them more stimulating.
It can take a while to warm up afterwards and feel comfortable. This improves after a while.
I aim for the middle of the day to mid afternoon and that seems to work well for me.
HTH.

john66

Jack Kruse has a website about cold therapy. He is a nuerosurgeon who used it to lose lots of weight. In one of his many blogs, he describes how to do it safely with a skin temp thermometer. Glad you have found something that helps. J

anne_likes_red

I used Dr Kruse's protocol, but I was only functioning at around 30% when I started so had to approach it extra carefully.
Where he suggests you might adapt to cold in 2 weeks I'm guessing he's talking about someone with a certain level of fitness. It took 5 weeks before I was getting intermittent signs of cold hardiness. By 12 weeks I was sweet. :)
I did get improved, more refreshing sleep from the get go though..and thats what motivated me to continue.

Note: This post and the following 8 posts were split from the thread:
The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

...and merged into this existing thread on cold therapy.

Have you become more Resistant to cold after including some Resistant starches into you diet?

Perhaps it is time for cold therapy, or even Cryotherapy?

Last edited by a moderator:

shah78

Have you become more Resistant to cold after including some Resistant starches into you diet?

Perhaps it is time for cold therapy, or even Cryotherapy?
I do cold therapy seven to ten hours a week. Methylation support made me more resistant to cold. I didn't notice an additional "bump" from the RS et al. when I started that three months later. IMHO I can't see how it couldn't help it though. Like Freddd says about Methylation: "Everthing is better". So too with PS et al.: "Everything is better". I just couldn't notice it.

From wiki:
Cryotherapy is the local or general use of low temperatures in medical therapy. Cryotherapy is used to treat a variety of benign and malignant tissue damage, medically called lesions.[1] The term "cryotherapy" comes from the Greek cryo (κρύο) meaning cold, and therapy (θεραπεία) meaning cure. Cryotherapy has been used as early as the seventeenth century.

According to Costello et al,[6] a relatively new modality of cryotherapy, called Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC), is currently being offered by clinicians as an alternative to cold water immersion or ice packs. Administered through the use of a cryogenic chamber, WBC is a treatment whereby the patient is placed in a cryogenic chamber for a short duration (i.e. no more than three minutes, which is comparable to ice swimming), and if used properly, will not destroy tissue.

Patients report that the experience is invigorating and improves a variety of conditions such as psychological stress, insomnia, rheumatism, muscle and joint pain, fibromyalgia, itching, and psoriasis.[citation needed] The immediate effect of skin cooling and analgesia lasts for 5 minutes, but the release of endorphins can have a lasting effect, where the pains and signs of inflammation as found in blood tests remain suppressed for weeks.

Cryogenic chamber? What's wrong with just taking a cold shower?
How cold is your cold shower?

The chamber is cooled, typically with liquid nitrogen, usually to a temperature of −120 °C (−184 °F)—although temperatures of −140 °C (−220 °F) or even −160 °C (−256 °F) have been used.[7] The patient is protected from acute frostbite with socks, gloves and mouth and ear protection, but in addition to that, wears nothing but a bathing suit. The patient spends a few minutes in the chamber. During treatment the average skin temperature drops to 12 °C (54 °F), while the coldest skin temperature can be 5 °C (41 °F). The core body temperature remains unchanged during the treatment, however it may drop slightly afterwards. Therapy triggers the release of endorphins which induce analgesia (immediate pain relief).

Unfortunately, cold stress also requires a massive energy expenditure as part of an attempt to raise body temperature. It results in the depletion of lipids, glycogen, and glutathione in the liver. I don't think most people realize how taxing cold stress can be.

Seems Asklipia has already explored it 2 years ago, after trying out and refusing Cold Thermogenesis protocol, and promoted healing effects of Bains Dérivatifs.

Worth mentioning another vagus stimulation technique here: oil pulling with sesame oil. It is a very powerful tool too.

cman89

Why not a more inclusive cold exposure? I know that ice baths can be taxing, but this BD seems very limited. Or is it the neural targeting that is most important? Anybody here do ice/cool water immersion and have it help?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Why not a more inclusive cold exposure? I know that ice baths can be taxing, but this BD seems very limited. Or is it the neural targeting that is most important? Anybody here do ice/cool water immersion and have it help?

Yes, anne_likes_red has posted about it here and in other places.

Sushi

cman89

I used Dr Kruse's protocol, but I was only functioning at around 30% when I started so had to approach it extra carefully.
Where he suggests you might adapt to cold in 2 weeks I'm guessing he's talking about someone with a certain level of fitness. It took 5 weeks before I was getting intermittent signs of cold hardiness. By 12 weeks I was sweet. :)
I did get improved, more refreshing sleep from the get go though..and thats what motivated me to continue.
How did you impelment Dr. Kruse's protocol?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
she talks about sleep, but I am looking for people that have had neural improvement and ANS improvement along with sleep

You might do a Google Site Search with her name and topics that interest you as she has posted more about it in other places. She has not visited PR for about 6 weeks though.

Sushi

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
she talks about sleep, but I am looking for people that have had neural improvement and ANS improvement along with sleep
Isn't improvement in sleep improvement in the ANS? She indicates that sleep was the first of the improvement, so there must have been other things. She just doesn't say what.