• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Undetectable Infection

Elph68

What is a regional scientist?
Hi MeSci, I am a research social scientist, I study how people interact socially and what governments/business/networks need to do to develop communities and keep the masses happy .... Infrastructure, support, economics, health, education .... My specialty is sub national peripheral economies .... I hope this gives you the picture ...

It is a multiple discipline degree and the spread of infectious diseases was a part of it ... The spread of AIDS globally was my thing ... I (know) pretty much the full story except the name of the airline steward that brought it out of Africa to the US .....

Funny thing is the similarities between bacterial communities and people communities are extraordinary, so this research is not a big stretch for me ...

That is why I also have the ear of the local university, as I was a high achiever, they have been busting to get me back for a PhD ... I also have the ear of the government because of my links with the Institute of Regional Development here in Burnie ....

Last edited:

Elph68

There are a number of earlier ones that may interest you:

https://www.google.com/patents/related/US20090233888#c=0&d1&d2=03/23/2006&t=1small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.1hydrogen sulfide.1disease conditions.0sibo.0syndrome.0modulation.0physiologic conditions.0hyperhomocysteinemia.0treatment.0lactulose breath test.

and if you change the search terms you will no doubt find more. I got to that page by clicking 'find prior art' at the top.

There is your answer as to why there is no research funding ....

All there is now is coming up with an effective cure regime ....

That is what the Griffin University in Queensland is doing .... That is what Bioscreen at the Melbourne university is doing ....

ukxmrv

I'm not seeing much in the way of an actual cure coming out of Griffith Uni (and I have been supporting them). Bioscreen at Melbourne is doing the gut bacteria research. I'm not seeing any cures on CFS friends in Australia coming from their work - yet.

We can hope of course. It's been 30 years of hope for me and I'm not seeing much that's concrete still.

Elph68

I'm not seeing much in the way of an actual cure coming out of Griffith Uni (and I have been supporting them). Bioscreen at Melbourne is doing the gut bacteria research. I'm not seeing any cures on CFS friends in Australia coming from their work - yet.

We can hope of course. It's been 30 years of hope for me and I'm not seeing much that's concrete still.
You may like to know that Bioscreen works with CFS Discovery in Melbourne, and the Griffith University is opening their clinic with their new equipment to investigate the use of pre/probiotics ....

I know all too well people are sick .... But all the misinformation, the theories, and the idea that there is no financial gain in having specific studies done because a lot of the research is already out there .....

The companies selling their potions and supplements don't want to know a total cure ... They just want to sell band aids to treat symptoms .... A cure will put them out of business ....

Talking to the researchers ... They won't talk to each other because of ego's .... Bioscreen has already done most of what Lipkin is trying to raise money for ..... Personally, if it wasn't so serious, I would call it laughable ....

Yet all the information as to the cause is already out there .... The right tests aren't being done ....

Hydrogen Sulfide decimates NK killer cells and knocks out their production, causes olfactory lesions when it is breathed ....

Pathogenic strains of normal flora produce hydrogen sulfide ..... It is undetectable with normal pathology tests ...

The undetectable infection ....

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Talking to the researchers ... They won't talk to each other because of ego's

Have you read any of the conference threads/reports? These indicate that there is actually a lot of communication and collaboration between researchers. This is normal in science.

globalpilot

I am a little gob smacked ..... Has anybody seen this patent???

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090233888

Happy reading ..... I for one will be taking it to my doctor ..... Geeezzzz

Thanks. GOing to read this ... probably not until next week. But in the meantime does it say which is the best test for H2S. what do you think of the urine H2S test after reading the patent ? Is it possible it's metabolized to other substances and not detected in teh urine ?

Elph68

Have you read any of the conference threads/reports? These indicate that there is actually a lot of communication and collaboration between researchers. This is normal in science.
Hi MeSci ... The collaboration is more with those that are still trying to theorise a cause ... Those working on actual cures ... Are tight lipped ...

It is all about money ......

Elph68

Thanks. GOing to read this ... probably not until next week. But in the meantime does it say which is the best test for H2S. what do you think of the urine H2S test after reading the patent ? Is it possible it's metabolized to other substances and not detected in teh urine ?
Hi Global ... Hydrogen sulfide it seems is really hard to detect .... And it seems nobody really knows what normal levels are, but they do know minuscule amounts cause disease ....

The theory behind the test is in line with what i have found, hydrogen sulfide is produced by these bugs in the presence of sugars .... See if I can find some more info .....

And it seems it can turn into something else before it is passed ...

Cheers.

Seven7

Seven
@Elph68 this is the best explanation for what I feel and for my own observation. But In my case, I think there is a mal absorption somewhere so I need extra vit support to move forward, Is how I have gotten my remissions. Treating the confections so the immune system can pick up is also important for me.

MeSci

Hi MeSci ... The collaboration is more with those that are still trying to theorise a cause ... Those working on actual cures ... Are tight lipped ...

It is all about money ......

This is completely at odds with my knowledge of science, which I follow avidly whenever possible: radio, TV, online and on paper.

In fact science is notable for its 'without borders' collaborative tendencies, with scientists even from warring countries working together in co-operation.

In this thread, for example, scientists are openly discussing their theories and findings.

This is the norm. It's what happens at scientific conferences, and other interactions.

Einstein and Heisenburg famously met frequently to argue over theory, and continued to do so despite disagreements.

As for discussing cures, I think your theory is still a long way from that stage, isn't it?

MeSci

This is completely at odds with my knowledge of science, which I follow avidly whenever possible: radio, TV, online and on paper.

In fact science is notable for its 'without borders' collaborative tendencies, with scientists even from warring countries working together in co-operation.

In this thread, for example, scientists are openly discussing their theories and findings.

This is the norm. It's what happens at scientific conferences, and other interactions.

Einstein and Heisenburg famously met frequently to argue over theory, and continued to do so despite disagreements.

As for discussing cures, I think your theory is still a long way from that stage, isn't it?

Replying to myself here: it is of course true that pharmaceutical companies, who fund a high proportion of research, tend to be tight-lipped, as they are profit-based, with shareholders to satisfy. Unfortunately the research industry is dominated by the profit paradigm, which is a reason why people wanting to research natural, non-patentable treatments have so much difficulty getting funding.

We don't seem to have made much progress in this regard since science was only carried out by wealthy men who could fund it themselves!

Elph68

@Elph68 this is the best explanation for what I feel and for my own observation. But In my case, I think there is a mal absorption somewhere so I need extra vit support to move forward, Is how I have gotten my remissions. Treating the confections so the immune system can pick up is also important for me.

Hi Inester7, can I propose the malabsorption may actually be a deficiency in the bacteria that process the food to nutrients so the body can absorb it ....

It is highly likely as these H2S bacteria crowd out and/or kill off good bacteria ....

Cheers.

Elph68

Replying to myself here: it is of course true that pharmaceutical companies, who fund a high proportion of research, tend to be tight-lipped, as they are profit-based, with shareholders to satisfy. Unfortunately the research industry is dominated by the profit paradigm, which is a reason why people wanting to research natural, non-patentable treatments have so much difficulty getting funding.

We don't seem to have made much progress in this regard since science was only carried out by wealthy men who could fund it themselves!
Hi MeSci ... Maybe it is about time we did something about it then ....

Elph68

Depends on what theory you believe ... I know that 2 universities here in Australia are working on treatment protocols ......

I have no doubt that many do work together, I have been trying to get a couple of researchers to work together here ... But they hate each other ... If I could get these 2 in the same room, I know they could make a huge difference ....

MeSci

Hi MeSci ... Maybe it is about time we did something about it then ....

Many people already are trying to: with crowd-funding, demanding open access and full disclosure, etc. But once corporations have been allowed to reach such colossal sizes/wealth, the ability of governments to control them becomes very limited. In fact the tables are turned, and governments actually depend on these monsters for support!

globalpilot

Hi Inester7, can I propose the malabsorption may actually be a deficiency in the bacteria that process the food to nutrients so the body can absorb it ....

It is highly likely as these H2S bacteria crowd out and/or kill off good bacteria ....

Cheers.

Well, no, the place of digestion is the duodenum and the bacteria level there is very sparse. I do have malabsorption and seem to be constantly on the edge with calcium, iron and zinc. In my case, i think its due to too much bacteria in the small intestine.

MeSci

Well, no, the place of digestion is the duodenum and the bacteria level there is very sparse. I do have malabsorption and seem to be constantly on the edge with calcium, iron and zinc. In my case, i think its due to too much bacteria in the small intestine.

There is a good section on human digestion in the Encyclopedia Britannica here.

It describes the digestion of different foods/substances in different parts of the gut.

MeSci

Depends on what theory you believe

Not sure what you mean here. I was talking about your theory and its stage of development.

As for which theory I 'believe', I don't adhere doggedly to a single theory about ME, but take a keen interest in a wide range of theories.

Like many sufferers and scientists, I believe that there are probably multiple causes, and subgroups of what is probably a group of illnesses, probably also related to other illnesses via processes such as leaky gut, autoimmunity and inflammation.

Many of these causes are simply parts of a very complex whole and are not mutually exclusive.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Elph68
Sorry I cant read the link to the paper, too much for me as I can only focus for a short time, it looks interesting though, do you know what sort of treatment would address a high H2S issue?.