• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you settle an argument regarding where to inject B12?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just off the top of my head (and its foggy) I inject B12 with SC needles ie. those used for insulin injections. Therefore only into the top layer of skin, anywhere, usually thighs, belly etc.
IM injections are something else. Different needles etc.

Valentijn

Everything I've read (and my doctor's prescription) says it should be intramuscular. But a lot of doctors won't prescribe it for their patients to do themselves, so they end up doing it subcutaneously. The nurses at my GP's office showed me how to do it intramuscularly a couple times, and now I do it myself at home.

A larger amount of fluid feels a helluva lot nicer in the muscle than under the skin, but it requires a much bigger needle. The location (muscle versus fat) also determines how quickly it disperses. People doing it subcutaneously have reported very long-term pink spots at the injection site :p

So basically do it intramuscular if you can, but subcutaneous is better than nothing.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I think it depends on how much you're injecting as well, I use BD micro fine needles .5 or 1ml.
Sometimes it goes in like a hot knife through butter and other times ouch!!

A.B.

For what it's worth, my CFS doc says it should be intramuscolar. Don't do this without training though (hitting a nerve is bad).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Here is one take on it: subcu acts sort of like a time release. Some doctors seem to recommend one way and some the other.

I do it subcut in the stomach with 1/2 inch, 30 gauge needles. Pull up a big pinch of fat/flesh and inject straight down. I use hydrox. Note: in the stomach it must be below the navel an inch or two--below and to the side works best for me.

Sushi

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
subcut no more then 1ml, if its greater then 1ml then intramuscular and to be comfortable up to 3mls. Can do 5 mls IMI in the thigh generally speaking.
Upper outer thigh is the location.
Subcut can be done into belly fat but make sure u have someone show u?
Needle size for subcut is 25g to 27g , the higher the number the smaller the needle.
For imi 23g is fine. insert the needle all the way leaving say 1ml outside the skin, they say this just incase there is an accidental needle breakage and its easier to retrieve the needle. 25yrs of doing this im yet to see it break off?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I was told to do sub cut and taught how by a nurse - really easy to do, not painful and no red lumps. I did daily injections at only half the amount prescribed as I was sensitive to the effects, so perhaps not a lot in amount of liquid.

I don't really fancy injecting myself into muscle - bet it hurts like hell.

Valentijn

I don't really fancy injecting myself into muscle - bet it hurts like hell.
I like it better than my subcutaneous injections. There aren't any nerves getting hit by the intramuscular injection, whereas there's pretty much always nerves nearby for the subcutaneous injection. The straight-in angle for intramuscular is easier for me than the 45 degree stuff too :p

The muscle can hurt afterward, but usually just if I poke it.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I like it better than my subcutaneous injections. There aren't any nerves getting hit by the intramuscular injection, whereas there's pretty much always nerves nearby for the subcutaneous injection. The straight-in angle for intramuscular is easier for me than the 45 degree stuff too :p

The muscle can hurt afterward, but usually just if I poke it.

That's interesting - I was never told I needed a specific angle or anything or warned about nerves. I just grab a bit of fat on hip and stick it in. Mostly it doesn't hurt at all, but some times it seems to hurt a bit wherever you try and get it in.