• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New home self-diagnostic tool analyses a droplet of saliva, blood, or a nasal swab in real time

Waverunner

You point out they are relatively cheap. But if I am on a tight budget, maybe I can afford the cue, to do a test I actually need but do not have the extra money for the rest. And if you have a smartphone, do you not also have a monthly fee for the wireless (bluetooth) access? I'd use the phone maybe 2 or 3 times per year?

As for cue. I love the concept and could use it right now. BUT... currently it only runs 5 different tests. I am not interested in Testosterone, Fertility or Influenza (never get the flu). Vitamin D is doubtful. So that leaves me with one test ... "Inflammation", actually C-reactive protein test.

What I really could use is h-pylori, thyroid (specifically a group -- free T4, free T3, rT3, TSH), ACHT, common strep and staph agents, candida. When I can get this kind of info, I'd consider it.

I personally would still like to be able to cut out the doctor and run my own tests for certain things if possible.

Well, you don't need to pay anything in order to use the bluetooth, so there are no additional costs and this is a great opportunity to replace your mobile phone. The additional costs however occur with the wands, which are needed for every test.They cost 4 to 10 dollars. So if you run 5 influenza tests, you have to spend $ 50.

We also should not forget, that this device is in the beginning. The company claims that it will add a lot of other parameters in the future. So if competition increases, prices will come done, contrary to the drug field, where nearly no competition exists.

I completely agree with your last sentence, cutting out the middle man saves a lot of money and will hopefully boost the individual, patient centered healthcare.

barbc56

For some of us $130 is a lot of money that could be spent towards such trivial things as food and housing.

Add to that the cellphone provider and you are talking about more money.

Hopefully, the company will see the light and make this app more. user friendly.

TBH, I have not read about the app.so have no idea what it does, but I don't think that takes away from my comment.

Barb

*GG*

To be honest, I myself would find it consumer friendly if the device had some small display to show the results. Even one line would be enough to show the value name and actual value. This would make the device more expensive however. I don't think the price would increase much, but it would increase. In the end you are free to contact them and complain.

What I find somewhat ridiculous however, is your statement about not being able to afford a smartphone/tablet. Are you telling me, that you can buy this device for $ 199 but you can't afford a $ 50 android smartphone from ebay? Please follow my advice and preorder Cue because you get a $ 50 discount then. For these $ 50 dollars you can then buy a smartphone. So for $ 199 you get one device and one smartphone. Complaining about the $ 50 of smartphones/tablets (which you can perfectly use for everything you want) but spending $ 199 for Cue is not very convincing.

If you want a better smartphone, you could buy a Motorola Moto E from amazon for $ 130.

Am I reading what people are wrtine here correctly?:

So you can just buy the phone but not subscribe to a phone plan, right?

I get the gov't sponsored phone, I only get 250 mins/month with 1,000 texts. So not looking to buy some data plan!

GG

PS I also just use a laptop with WiFi, but am interested in this, would a tablet make more sense?

Waverunner

For some of us $130 is a lot of money that could be spent towards such trivial things as food and housing.

Add to that the cellphone provider and you are talking about more money.

Hopefully, the company will see the light and make this app more. user friendly.

TBH, I have not read about the app.so have no idea what it does, but I don't think that takes away from my comment.

Barb

The cheap smartphone costs $ 50, only if you want a better smartphone you could spend $ 130 for a Motorola. I have no idea who brought up the myth, that you need a cellphone provider to buy a smartphone. That is not true. You can buy whatever smartphone you want and you don't need a monthly plan or whatever. It will work. Whoever has the money to buy Cue and wands, can also afford to buy a smartphone.

adreno

PR activist
I have to agree that most people interested in such a device will likely have a smartphone already.

Putting a monitor, interface and software in the device would not only make it more expensive, but also much harder to update and add new features.

barbc56

The cheap smartphone costs $ 50, only if you want a better smartphone you could spend $ 130 for a Motorola. I have no idea who brought up the myth, that you need a cellphone provider to buy a smartphone. That is not true. You can buy whatever smartphone you want and you don't need a monthly plan or whatever. It will work. Whoever has the money to buy Cue and wands, can also afford to buy a smartphone.

I àm still confused but keep in mind I am not tech savvy when it comes to smartphones. How can you get any mobile phone without a provider? Did I misread your post?

You can get a smartphone by itself but that can cost up to $600 + dollars.

Barb

adreno

PR activist
I àm still confused but keep in mind I am not tech savvy when it comes to smartphones. How can you get any mobile phone without a provider? Did I misread your post?

You can get a smartphone by itself but that can cost up to $600 + dollars.

Barb
You can get a used smartphone on Ebay for around 50 bucks.

barbc56

You can get a used smartphone on Ebay for around 50 bucks.

That's interesting. I'm learning something here.

Are provider costs higher with smartphones since they have upgraded applications than other cell phones (dumb phones? :rolleyes:).

Barb

Waverunner

That's interesting. I'm learning something here.

Are provider costs higher with smartphones since they have upgraded applications than other cell phones (dumb phones? :rolleyes:).

Barb

It only depends on your tariff plan. If you choose a tariff plan without mobile internet and only use your smartphone with internet at home (WLAN), there will be no additional costs compared to your current cell phone. If you want to access internet with your smartphone while you're away from home, you need a tariff plan which includes mobile internet and those start around $5 per month. These tariff plans are completely voluntary and your smartphone works perfectly without one (the only drawback is, that you are not connected to the internet while you are away from home). You can buy smartphones on ebay or amazon. Only the flagships from Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony cost around $500 to $800. You get other flagships like the One Plus (http://oneplus.net/) for $299. The One Plus is a hot deal which is faster and better, than most of the other smartphones from the big brands. As has been pointed out however, you get much cheaper smartphones starting at $50 on ebay. If you want a brand manufacturer you can either buy a used or old smartphone or you can pay $130 for a new Motorola Moto E for example.

Last edited:

natasa778

To get a smartphone without a provider search for sim free and/or unlocked phones online - there are also good second hand deals around nowdays, or you can go for a cheaper new one ...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
To be honest, I myself would find it consumer friendly if the device had some small display to show the results. Even one line would be enough to show the value name and actual value. This would make the device more expensive however. I don't think the price would increase much, but it would increase. In the end you are free to contact them and complain.
I doubt that replacing the bluetooth stuff with a digital readout would increase the cost of the device. As long as it increased it less that the cost of a smartphone, it would still be a better value.

What I find somewhat ridiculous however, is your statement about not being able to afford a smartphone/tablet. Are you telling me, that you can buy this device for $ 199 but you can't afford a $ 50 android smartphone from ebay? Please follow my advice and preorder Cue because you get a $ 50 discount then. For these $ 50 dollars you can then buy a smartphone. So for $ 199 you get one device and one smartphone. Complaining about the $ 50 of smartphones/tablets (which you can perfectly use for everything you want) but spending $ 199 for Cue is not very convincing.
Spoken like someone who has never been on a tight budget.

Actually I can't afford the $199 plus wands right now. If I could, I would feel that I was getting value for my money. Even if I could afford the $199, I wouldn't necessarily have another $50 (a 25% increase in price) for a smartphone. Paying $50 for a smartphone or tablet, which I have no other use for, to be used as an interface to the Cue does not strike me as good value for the money.

If you want a better smartphone, you could buy a Motorola Moto E from amazon for $ 130.
I do not have $130 to blow on a smartphone!

Little Bluestem

It would probably increase the cost by about $50. It would have a significant impact on sales.
My pulse oximeter has a LED display that shows my pulse, Sp02, signal strength, and, when needed, low battery indicator. It cost $65. I doubt that $50 of that was the cost of the display.

Valentijn

My pulse oximeter has a LED display that shows my pulse, Sp02, signal strength, and, when needed, low battery indicator. It cost $65. I doubt that $50 of that was the cost of the display.
Pulse oximeters have a very simple, low resolution display, which is also pretty thick.

As another example, I recently bought an Alpha Mio for easier heart rate tracking. All versions have bluetooth, but the version with a display is $199 and the version without a display is $99.

A built-in display has a big impact on the cost of many items, and probably has a bigger impact on relatively new products produced by only one source.

Little Bluestem

So put a simple, low resolution display on the Cue. As Waverunner noted, all it needs to display is the value name and actual value.

I find the idea of a data device that can not display the data absurd. I am really bummed to find that they do the same thing with heart rate monitors. I would like to have one. The pulse oximeter has its limitations, but at least it shows me my pulse.

adreno

PR activist
I find the idea of a data device that can not display the data absurd. I am really bummed to find that they do the same thing with heart rate monitors. I would like to have one. The pulse oximeter has its limitations, but at least it shows me my pulse.
One day you might have 5 different devices. Instead of all of them having their own readout and interface systems, it would make the most sense (even economically) to just use a smartphone or tablet for all of them.

Making display that shows statistics in a easily readable format is not simple. People like graphics, not numbers. You also need interface systems (buttons, menus) to interact. In a sense, those are simple operating system. Smartphones provide all this already.

I can tell you right now that this is the way the world is going, so you might as well go with it, rather than against it.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

I can't imagine carrying around a smartphone or tablet to watch my heart rate. IIRC, the heart rate monitors with a readout, have it on a watch band which would be much more convenient.

If I had 5 different devices, what are the odds that they would all work with the same brand of smartphone/tablet?

adreno

PR activist
I can't imagine carrying around a smartphone or tablet to watch my heart rate. IIRC, the heart rate monitors with a readout, have it on a watch band which would be much more convenient.

Yes, another option would be smartwatches. Those are not cheaper than phones though.

If I had 5 different devices, what are the odds that they would all work with the same brand of smartphone/tablet?
Very high. Most devices are compatible with Android and IOS. It's the OS that matters, not the brand.

Aileen

This is all very exciting and I think it is coming rapidly. However, at the present time, there are not enough tests available for many of us to justify the smartphone or similar device. The phone would cost us as much or more than the test we want. With a wider selection of tests available and more monitor-type devices that will change. We aren't there yet though.